Rank the CA songs, favorite to least

Shreddy Lee

Some may think it's too early. I know that any ranking I do this soon would be likely to change, but hey, why not. Let us know how you'd rank the songs from your favorite to least favorite right now, and if it changes, let us know that too.

I'll need to think a bit before posting my own.

Way too early really , but after three listenings:

The Garden

The Wreckers

Caravan

Clockwork Angels

BU2B

The Anarchist

Carnies

Seven Cities Of Gold

Headlong Flight

Wish Them Well

Halo Effect

BU2B

This will obviously change as the new-Rush-album euphoria wears off and the album sinks in. But my early impression after a few listens:

1. Clockwork Angels
  2. Headlong Flight
  3. The Anarchist
  4. BU2B
  5. Carnies
  6. BU2B2
  7. The Wreckers
  8. Caravan
  9. The Garden
  10. Seven Cities of Gold
  11. Halo Effect
  12. Wish Them Well
Six weeks ago, didn't think that Headlong Flight could possibly be topped.

Two years ago, I didn't think that there would be three songs better than BU2B.

From Twenty-five to five years ago, I didn't think they'd output another masterpiece rivaling Moving Pictures and Power Windows. Though this declaration is a bit premature, I'm confident this album won't drop much overtime... even if I discount the weakest 4 tracks, the remaining 44 minutes are strong.

Here's my first shot, which I'm sure will change soon enough:

1 - Clockwork Angels

2 - Caravan

3 - Headlong Flight

4 - BU2B

5 - Seven Cities of Gold

6 - The Wreckers

7 - The Anarchist

8 - Halo Effect

9 - Wish Them Well

10 - The Garden

11 - Carnies

1. The Garden

2. Headlong Flight

3. Carnies

4. BU2B

5. The Wreckers

6. Seven Cities of Gold

7. Caravan

8. Clockwork Angels

9. halo Effect

10. The Anarchist

11. With them well

12. BU2B2- I've already deleted this from the album

Edited by phoenix87

I still haven't listened to the album, since I'm waiting to hear it on cd, but I'm kinda surprised to see "Halo Effect" rated so low by so many, given that it got huge props by a reviewer.

I've been really looking forward to hearing this song ever since reading this glowing review:

Can you possibly tell that a song is destined to become a classic the first time you hear it? Possibly - and if, for some reason, Halo Effect doesn't make it into the pantheon of all-time Rush greats, it'll come damn close.

Over a gorgeous, double-tracked acoustic guitar figure, Geddy Lee sings richly, even-tempered and marvelously expressive. The track surges into a section of stomping power trio goodness, but the overall framework is acoustic, soon laced with elegant strings.

"What did I do before there were words?" Lee asks, bathed in a breathtaking glow of cellos that carry him - and us - away.

I know people just have different tastes, but I'm surprised by such a drastically different opinion.

Yeah, everyone's been confused by that part of that particular review. I guess it might have just been an example of being a little overly positive since it was an exclusive advance review type of thing. It could also be that he's just much more into that kind of song - I could easily see big audiences singing along to the song at concerts, it's that type of song, but not the kind most of us would consider a Rush classic.

Even since I posted my list, Halo Effect has dropped down a bit for me. That's not anything against the song, I still like it just fine, but it's just that nearly all of the others have outdone it in my view.

QUOTE (Captain Avatar @ Jun 5 2012, 04:12 PM)
I still haven't listened to the album, since I'm waiting to hear it on cd, but I'm kinda surprised to see "Halo Effect" rated so low by so many, given that it got huge props by a reviewer.

I've been really looking forward to hearing this song ever since reading this glowing review:

Can you possibly tell that a song is destined to become a classic the first time you hear it? Possibly - and if, for some reason, Halo Effect doesn't make it into the pantheon of all-time Rush greats, it'll come damn close.
Over a gorgeous, double-tracked acoustic guitar figure, Geddy Lee sings richly, even-tempered and marvelously expressive. The track surges into a section of stomping power trio goodness, but the overall framework is acoustic, soon laced with elegant strings.
"What did I do before there were words?" Lee asks, bathed in a breathtaking glow of cellos that carry him - and us - away.

I know people just have different tastes, but I'm surprised by such a drastically different opinion.

"What did I do.....fool that I was".

1. The Wreckers

2. BU2B

3. The Anarchist

4. Headlong Flight

5. Clockwork Angels

6. The Garden

7. Caravan

8. Seven Cities of Gold

9. Halo Effect

10. Carnies

11. Wish Them Well

12. BU2B2

I still like Halo Effect quite a bit despite its relatively low rating. Beyond that, I find Wish Them Well to be the only mediocre song on a track list of good to outstanding ones.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 6 2012, 11:09 PM)
QUOTE (Captain Avatar @ Jun 5 2012, 04:12 PM)

"What did I do.....fool that I was".

LOL that reviewer was smoking crack

1. The Garden

2. The Wreckers

3. Caravan

4. The Anarchist

5. Clockwork Angels

6. Halo Effect

7. BU2B2

8. BU2B

9. Headlong Flight

10. Carnies

11. Seven Cities of Gold

12. Wish them Well

I moved Halo Effect up a few spots. It has really clicked for me, and could be a major radio hit. Hell, I think this might be Rush's most consistent album since Power Windows. I mean, even Snakes and Arrows had some real turn-off songs on my first listen (Spindrift, The Way the Wind Blows, Faithless, Good News First). The only song that kinda turned me off was Seven Cities of Gold (due to the shaky vocals), but the musicianship of that song redeems it bigtime (in a way that Spindrift and Good News First lack).

Edited by Deckiller

Too early. How about:

Great

Headlong Flight

The Garden

Good

Caravan

The Anarchist

Carnies

Seven Cities of Gold

Decent

BU2B

Clockwork Angels

Halo Effect

The Wreckers

Wish Them Well

Bad

BU2B2

Edited by Ovningskora

I'm not sure how they all shake out yet. I like them all...love many.

I'd say amongst my tops:

BU2B

Clockwork Angels

The Garden

Headlong Flight

The Wreckers

Amongst the bottom:

BU2B2 (not a knock, but it's transitional stuff)

Wish Them Well

...and the rest is solidly in the middle of that.

The Wreckers

The Garden

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Caravan

BU2B

Headlong Flight

Seven Cities Of Gold

Wish Them Well

Carnies

Halo Effect

BU2B2

Wow, this is among their best work, love it...

Edited by Na na na