• Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire
    • Presto
    • Roll the Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test For Echo
    • Vapor Trails
    • Snakes & Arrows
    • None of the Above - every album is better than CA!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted since Power Windows.

and, as I wondered in another thread:

Are we witnessing the most widely liked Rush album since 1985? 81? Even the haters seem to be giving props!

I'll never forget my first listen to HYF with some of my rocker buddies. First chorus of Time Stand Still hit and some of them left the room - never to return to their Rush fandom... but I'd bet if they gave CA a chance, they'd be back!

Clockwork Angels = the future as imagined from the past => what I would have thought in 1981 that the band might sound like in 2012

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jun 4 2012, 10:37 PM)
The first option would seem to imply that CA is not as good as Rush, and the last option is redundant.

Edit: never mind about the redundant part.

To be honest, I wasn't sure about the phrasing. I just figured people would roll with it tongue.gif

You forgot one important option :

This is the best Rush album ever.

It's fighting for that position for me right now. Not a single track is weak. There are some that are mind-blowing good. (Clockwork Angels, Wish Them Well, The Wreckers and The Garden for me.) The cohesiveness of the concept album as a whole. Right now it's rivaling Vapor Trails and 2112 for me. It's too early for me to definitively say this is their greatest album for me, Vapor Trails has some amazing memories attached to it, but in time, this one could definitely hang up there with it.

Nope, a musical analysis combined with the euphoric experience of hearing it for the first time.

First listen was solid, 2nd was golden, 3rd was epic. The Garden has brought me to tears every single time I've heard it... NO song has done that before. That's just 1 of many reasons that this is in contention.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 4 2012, 07:19 PM)
Who the f**k voted for Rush?

You! And now you're trying to draw suspicion away from yourself! My God you're like a villain from Scooby Doo! Wait a minute, take off that mask, it was you all along Mr D3strukt... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 4 2012, 09:40 PM)
Wow, some 'first night' giddiness to say the least!

Best ever? Really?

rofl3.gif

First impression syndrome.

Positive or negative reactions are often exaggerated or colored on initial first listens.. It's always interesting to me to see how much opinions change after a month an album is out. Or even a year +

NOT that I'm saying this will be the case for everyone. I can only speak for myself. But my feelings towards an album inititally aren't exactly what I end up feeling later.

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 5 2012, 12:01 AM)

Best ever? Really?

rofl3.gif

Positive or negative reactions are often exaggerated or colored on initial first listens.. It's always interesting to me to see how much opinions change after a month an album is out. Or even a year +

Yes, that's exactly what I was saying.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really digging this stuff, but best ever?

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 5 2012, 01:02 AM)
QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 5 2012, 12:01 AM)

Best ever? Really?

rofl3.gif

Yes, that's exactly what I was saying.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really digging this stuff, but best ever?

Ya possibly best ever. I have a huge love for most of Rush's albums, but for me Vapor Trails is a cut above everything else as far as being a complete album with dynamic music and progressional sound. This rivals that, it's not hard for me to say when I already know I prefer the Vapor Trails sound... and thus modern Rush, but felt Snakes & Arrows was a bit disjointed at times. Clockwork Angels is right up there with Vapor Trails, whether it passes it or not over time will be dependent but it won't slip below top 3 for me.

Gauging by how complete the album is, how consistent and dynamic the sound. As well as it's ability to move me on a deep, genuine, emotional level on the first few listens is a very positive sign for me that it will grow and could be better than VT.

Presto for now. I'm sure I'll upgrade that after a few more listens though!

'The Garden' is breathtaking! Rush never fails to amaze me smile.gif

Edited by MMCXII

Best since.....

.....dare I say it.....

Vapor Trails??!?!

tongue.gif

I am confident in saying that this album is far better than Power Windows and everything that came after it (though I love me some VT). I might put it above Signals and GUP as well after thinking on it more, which if I do would make it the best since Moving Pictures for me.

Grace Under Pressure was the last album where I liked every song, so I went with that. Still too early to tell if it stands the test of time like PoW, but my initial reaction to CA was better than with that one, and CA stylistically suits my tastes better.

I can easily say I like it a lot more than anything since Power Windows though, because the only post-PoW albums I like are Counterparts and VT, and I find this album to be far more adventurous and satisfying than either of those.