It's not Rush, it's You

Astroboy2112

trekken

Yes, it sounds modern yet old, and they are an old band with an old singer dude and in case u havent noticed the setting of the album is a steampunk future -where the future is imagined from the past. The music f***ing fits the theme.

and modern prog bands do write like that have u heard Porcupine Tree, Pineapple Thief, Gazpacho,The mars Volta and zillion of other current prog bands? They are all influenced by Pink Foyd, Rush and old bands so they do put in old school influences into their modern sound. Im talking about sound, Rush's sound is modern undoubtedly modern dude.

Edited by Astroboy2112

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Astroboy2112 @ Jun 2 2012, 01:17 AM)
Way back in 1979 Rush recorded Entre Nous and that song had a lyric that said "Leave room for you and I to grow". Most fans have done just that. As Rush has grown so has them. However, not all fans left room for growth and moved on... and a few weirdos didnt move on and currently spend hours on rush messageboards - even tough they been hating the band for years now. There are many Rush fans that wont like this upcoming album because they simply want Rush to sound like they did in the 70's or 80s and their opinion of this album and all future Rush album were made years sometimes decades ago. Rush on the other hand does not want to sound like an old band, they want to sound like a new band because they want to keep PROGRESSING,GROWING and doing DIFFERENT things.I think most fans recognize and admire that because that has always been an important part of of what "makes them interesting".

I have no problem with people not liking or hating new Rush because they are stuck in the past, however what bothers me is the people ( and u know who u are!) that claim that people like the new stuff because those fans are "fanboys". Listen, people like HF, Caravan, Bu2b not because they are fanboys, they like it because they are able to understand what Rush is doing and going for in those songs. They simply get it! Music u either get or dont get. I dont get opera, i just dont understand it, however i dont think opera is crap! I'm just not familiar enough with it and its not my cup of tea. If Jay Z who is a great rapper decides to make an opera album for example and that album turns out to be the best opera album ever, old fans are still going to say it sucks because they just dont get it. Its new, its different, its not what they are used to therefore its crap/garbage/trash but ultimately what's happening is that they are listening to an opera album with a rap point of view.

Some fans just dont understand what Rush is doing these days mostly because they stopped listening to new bands after 1991 when Nirvana and the rest of the alternative bands changed the sound of rock. To them everything now sounds like a "wall of sound"," muffled"," muddy", etc, etc Why? Because they listen to contemporary rock with a 80's ear.

Im sure that a lot of the fans that think that new Rush is garbage also think that Tool, Radiohead, Mars Volta, Coheed and Cambria, Avenged Sevenfold, Foo Fighters or pretty much 99% of modern bands are garbage too.

If you listen to Caravan, Headlong Flight, Bu2b and the 30 secs clips with a modern rock sensibility, ear and perspective you can recognize that those are well made songs and intriguing clips -whether you like them or not. In my opinion and many Rush fans that "left room for growth" Rush is def back strong and that's the reason a lot of fans are very excited its not because they are "fanboys".

I listen to Headlong Flight and i hear such passion in the playing and conviction in the singing! I mean you really have to hate the music not to notice the great vocal delivery Geddy pulled off on this song. Yes i know he is not as sharp as when he was young, but to me the character is so battle tested, tired, and emotionally beat down by the journey that i think that vulnerability in Geddys current voice fits extremely well -unlike in other songs where a younger Geddy would've done better. To me the music radar journalist hit the nail on the head when he wrote that in HY Geddy "becomes a bravura vocalist, no longer an acquired taste or an artful stylist, but a true conveyer of poetic heat."

For example I hear melancholy,loneliness, longing for the past in the character in Geddy's voice when he sings " Some nights were bright I wish that i could do it all again" and the pride the character feels when he sings "I have stoked the fires of the big steel wheels, steered the airships right across the stars..." I hear angst,sadness and sorrow, yet hope, pride, a sense of accomplishment, a satisfaction of giving your best... soo many mix feelings throughout the song! To me its a very emotional song and It moves me every f***ing time. Like literally when Geddy goes up in volume and belts out stuff like "I don't regret it - I'll never forget it..." I want to jump, yell, mosh and hit somebody LOL It's actually the 1st Rush song ever that actually makes me want to mosh! However not all fans are going to be able to feel that passion and anger in the music because in their heads that's not how Rush is supposed to sound and play like. They put parameters and limits to what Rush should be and sound like.

So to you few "fans" that spend hours posting here and at other Rush boards posting that new Rush is horrible and fans like it because they are fanboys at every new thread, you are dead wrong. Know that we like the new material because it means something to us, we embrace change, and we certainly left room for Rush to grow. The music is still moving us in new and unexpected ways. So it's not Rush, its your ear and ability to understand, feel and get any sort of meaning from modern sounding contemporary music that lost a step.

Great post.

Thank you for saying that.

I don't get people who bash a band on a 'fan' board. They state their opinions in an arrogant, emphatic manner and basically mock via backhanded insults the fans who still dig RUSH.

Henry,

the issue i have is the fans that are 100% convinced that the music is trash and the people that like it are delusional fanboys when some of that music clearly has the same musical charasteristics that they enjoy so much in the old records - im convinced its a sonic issue. If you listened to Nirvana's Nevermind back in the day, and thought it was garbage and have not listened to anything modern since then then its hard to like what Rush have been doing because it sounds like the bands you been avoiding all these years.

All the inherent weird stuff that they were doing before, its there in a lot of the modern material, clearly not in all of it, but it all just sounds so alien to these fans cuz it sounds modern. All im saying is there is some good stuff in T4E, VT, SA and CA if you dont hear it then maybe you should consider the possibility that the problem might not be that the band has written 4-5 albums full of shit from beginning to end cuz clearly a lot of fans like some of it, maybe the problem it's you. It's ok if you dont like something, theres no problem with that but to not like something and then spend so much time telling others u hate it seems to me like a problem. All im saying is maybe the problem is that u dont have an ear for contemporary rock and maybe u should listen and explore a bit cuz clearly these fans have not given up on the band but listening to a 2012 record with an 70's or 80's ear is hard.

Sonically, to go from listening to Fortunate Son to Headlong Flight is quite a jump, try and bridge it a bit.

Didn't read the thread but yeah it sucks to see people bitching about Rush's music. I'm not sure what some of these people are doing posting on a Rush FAN forum and buying tickets to 12 shows per tour if they haven't liked an album since Signals. Then again, the people who don't like Rush's new shit are generally the same people who think that music died when ELP released Love Beach and can't cope with change.

I'm a definite child of the 80's, love synth-era Rush the best, and am not a fan of modern rock, but I'm looking forward to CA and the shows I'm going to on this tour like you can't believe. I also think that even my least favorite Rush album is still darned good. Why? Because Rush is a timelessly fabulous band. There's a reason they've been around for forty years and are still going.

So, yes, I'm definitely one to accentuate the positive when it comes to Rush, but I don't think one necessarily has to be a modern rock fan in order to do it.

*adjusts legwarmers* biggrin.gif

Just looking at threads for the Clockwork Angels clips, there are some people who are only there to constantly spread negativity (2 people especially..)

IMO there is a difference between expressing an opinion and just being annoying by constantly saying how much you don't like the album over and over again in the same thread

QUOTE (Analog_Bro @ Jun 3 2012, 02:33 PM)
Just looking at threads for the Clockwork Angels clips, there are some people who are only there to constantly spread negativity (2 people especially..)

IMO there is a difference between expressing an opinion and just being annoying by constantly saying how much you don't like the album over and over again in the same thread

goodpost.gif

I like everything Rush has ever done. On my Sputnikmusic account, where albums are rated on a scale from one to five, my lowest score for a Rush album is a three (TFE) because I just really love the band. Even if they dabble in styles I might not be into, like some of the pussier sounding songs they have, I still enjoy them when Rush does them because, in my opinion, they can take any style of music and make it listenable and interesting. Few other bands have that chemistry between its members. My least favorite Rush song is Dog Years, and even it has a cool, albeit generic, riff. But I can't fault someone for not liking certain albums. There are some people out there who don't like Rush at all, so anyone who considers himself a fan is cool in my book. Different people have different tastes, but I love this band to death, and I don't give a shit if they bust out Superconductor on the next tour...I'll still be rocking.

QUOTE (beherit @ Jun 3 2012, 05:10 PM)
I like everything Rush has ever done. On my Sputnikmusic account, where albums are rated on a scale from one to five, my lowest score for a Rush album is a three (TFE) because I just really love the band. Even if they dabble in styles I might not be into, like some of the pussier sounding songs they have, I still enjoy them when Rush does them because, in my opinion, they can take any style of music and make it listenable and interesting. Few other bands have that chemistry between its members. My least favorite Rush song is Dog Years, and even it has a cool, albeit generic, riff. But I can't fault someone for not liking certain albums. There are some people out there who don't like Rush at all, so anyone who considers himself a fan is cool in my book. Different people have different tastes, but I love this band to death, and I don't give a shit if they bust out Superconductor on the next tour...I'll still be rocking.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (beherit @ Jun 3 2012, 10:10 PM)

That's the best definition of fanboy I've ever read.

You need to move on.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 3 2012, 05:19 PM)

goodpost.gif

goodpost.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif

Me too!!!

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 3 2012, 04:21 PM)

You need to move on.

Wow, what a tool

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 3 2012, 05:04 PM)

You need to move on.

Wow, what a tool

Yeah man.. he's just a fan who likes everything..exactly like me.

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Jun 3 2012, 05:06 PM)

You need to move on.

Wow, what a tool

Yeah man.. he's just a fan who likes everything..exactly like me.

Count me in! Except for live critisizms!

You need to move on.

Wow, what a tool

goodpost.gif

You need to move on.

Says the guy who doesn't like anything after 1980 and yet posts daily on a Rush board thirty years later? wtf.gif

Your character was fully revealed a few weeks ago in your 9/11 comment, which I still can't believe you weren't banned for. confused13.gif fing.gif

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Jun 3 2012, 04:25 PM)

goodpost.gif

Me too!!!

goodpost.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif

You need to move on.

This is the best definition of a troll I've ever read. You need to move on from trying to anger people on a generally positive forum and do something worthwhile in your life. Us "fanboys" derive joy and pleasure from listening to a certain band, you derive joy and pleasure from trying to anger people. You are a pathetic human being.

Sorry you think CA is going to be shit, but 90% of the people on this forum will enjoy it, so stay the f*ck out of our way.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jun 3 2012, 04:25 PM)
Tony is funny. Get over yourselves.

goodpost.gif

I'm not going to lie.... I usually enjoy Tony's posts. He is invariably sarcastic, caustic, and often downright rude. But he always manages to point out some kernel of truth, and he calls out bullshit when he sees it.

I'm a big fan of Rush and the majority of their catalog, but I can't say I love everything they've ever done. no.gif I never sit down with new Rush material thinking, "oh boy, it's Rush, so I had better make an extra special effort to like it." I listen to a Rush track just like any other piece of music and either enjoy or don't enjoy. Rush is a band, not a cult.

That said, I do realize this is the RUSH forum. Obsession and emotion tend to rule around here, which is one of the things that keeps it entertaining.

QUOTE (Animate @ Jun 3 2012, 05:28 PM)
QUOTE (Digital Man @ Jun 3 2012, 04:25 PM)

goodpost.gif

Me too!!!

goodpost.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif

goodpost.gif goodpost.gif yes.gif

yes.gif

yes.gif

yes.gif

I posted my Clockwork Angels review on Amazon yesterday and is up today...

"A Masterpiece unless you dont like the contemporary rock sound

Like the title says, this cd is a masterpiece. It's without question, Rush's best material since Presto (1989), Power Windows (1985) and Moving Pictures (1981). Everything that made Rush great is heavily featured here. Cryptic Scifi lyrics, weird ass high vocals, insane musicianship, complex compositions, totally unpredictable arrangements, and tons of fast and furious playing with guitar, bass and drum breakdowns all over the place.It's the Rush we all love and strong as ever.

Now while the majority of Rush fans are in agreement that this is their most inspired record in years. There is a minority of fans that don't like this album. The main complaint is the sound. Now what's wrong with the sound? It's sound like a modern record! That's it! Now there's absolutely nothing wrong with that but when a large portion of Rush fans are in their late 40's? - it's a problem. You see Rush sounds as modern and contemporary as Mars Volta, Muse, Coheed and Cambria, Avenged Sevenfold, Foo Fighters, Stone Sour, Deftones, etc And what's wrong with that? Well, those are the type of bands that a lot 40+ olds run away from. As a result they don't understand the sound and feel like the album is mixed "too loud", "messy", "without sonic clarity" etc. Let me tell you something, This album sounds absolutely EXCELLENT! It sounds like a loud kick ass modern rock album because that's exactly what it is!Nick Rasckulinecz (Foo Fighters) produced the album btw.

In conclusion if you are a young Rush fan or an old Rush fan that is open minded to a modern rock sound then you will love this album. However, If you are a fan that never gave alternative bands a chance in the 90's and continued ignoring modern rock bands in the 00's then you will have a problem with this album because Rush sounds so modern. In other words if you like modern music this is a bonafide 5 stars album. If you don't listen to anything modern and spend all day listening to 70's and 80's records then this will be about 3 stars for you cuz it will sound too weird and alien for you. "

There is already 1 comment for it

"You nailed it Dan!

This simply sounds like a modern rock album. If you haven't listened to much music since the 80's or 70's, then it's a shock. If you have continued to listen to a lot of music in every decade, in the 90's and 00's, or were born/grew up then, there is no problem.

So if you're 40+ or just one of these "old while young types" you'll dislike the "noise" (intensity) of this album; if you're under 40 or "young no matter what your age" you'll rock to it just like you did to the music your parents hated and said was too loud no matter where your volume knob was! This minority of haters of the SQ of this album are just a bunch of fans turning into their parents and blaming the album sound instead of themselves and their age which are the real culprits (blind denial). It's always been this way, since the 50's when rock came around and drove the meek and middle aged/old crazy because it was "too loud!" while the young and those with energy and passion loved it. Nothings changed lol. It's just that the majority of Rush fans are now 50ish + and haven't listened to much (any even) music since the early 80's...if that, so their old ears are shocked when they hear a modern Rush album which is the only new music they now listen to or have in decades.

This is a mere generational thing and nothing else (I remember a friend's parent who liked 70's Rush but complained when we played 80's and 90's Rush because it was "too loud" no matter how low we had it lol, no, it was just that he had turned old, in spirit at least, and didn't like any rock music past the 70's which he would play on occasion at low volumes in order to sadly try to relive his youth), and apologies to all the older Rush fans who are still young at heart and can thus rock to new Rush music as they always have: I personally know some! (Hell, the album is not "too loud" for Rush themselves!)

Btw, even with Vapor Trails, which is actually a flawed production, I have never had a problem blasting (and I mean concert level SPL blasting, and yes my hearing is perfect: I get tested once a year) . It doesn't sound very good, but I'm not old or meek so I don't get tired of the volume and have to turn it down. It just doesn't sound that good is all but is still fun to rock out to. CA, however, does sound good when blasted, or at any volume level for that matter, at least on quality high end gear and for those who are young/young at heart. "

Fans that dont like this album, please understand it's not Rush making bad sounding music it's you not used to modern sounding rock records. Be open minded and buy some records. Maybe you'll get it. There's no production issues with CA, it sounds the way it's supposed to sound folks. Pick up other Nick R's albums, and you will see that they *shocking* dont sound like 80's records either...They all sound loud in your face & modern. That's the sound they were going for in this album. It's not a production issue *sigh*, it's intentional. I just dont get how people can complain about a record not sounding like a 1981 album in 2012. Rush always changed with the times, you didnt -that's it. Stop the CA sounds bad ignorance.Yeah, it sounds bad cuz your listening to it with a 1981 ear and point of view.

All i can say is NO band I like has ever had a perfect track record in my eyes, and that includes Rush....I adore them.....they're my first band I was heavy into. True recent releases have not had me jumping up and down, CA included. But I can always find something i Enjoy. Even on T4E....granted it was 1 song. but it was there laugh.gif Buttom line even below par Rush is pretty damn awesome. And i'll continue to follow them, even knowing I might now be in love 2.gif

Mick