Vapor Trails came out ten years ago

circumstantial tree

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 15 2012, 10:17 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 15 2012, 10:15 PM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 15 2012, 10:13 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ May 15 2012, 09:38 PM)
in the final analysis, VT will be regarded as a great Rush album

yes.gif I think it will be seen as a landmark album in their career, all things said and done.

cool10.gif

Maybe I should wait until they drop the remix! laugh.gif Then perhaps you'll agree. wink.gif

I'm sure I'll agree that it's better...I believe that.

However, I still wouldn't consider it "landmark" by any means because the songs themselves, are not changing.

Unlike alot of people here, I don't like to throw around the words "epic", "masterpiece", and "landmark" for just anything. It has to mean something.

I'd say 2112 and Moving Pictures are both 'landmark' albums. I certainly don't see how VT could possibly be placed in that group. Just my opinion though.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 16 2012, 10:48 AM)

yes.gif I think it will be seen as a landmark album in their career, all things said and done.

cool10.gif

Maybe I should wait until they drop the remix! laugh.gif Then perhaps you'll agree. wink.gif

However, I still wouldn't consider it "landmark" by any means because the songs themselves, are not changing.

Unlike alot of people here, I don't like to throw around the words "epic", "masterpiece", and "landmark" for just anything. It has to mean something.

I'd say 2112 and Moving Pictures are both 'landmark' albums. I certainly don't see how VT could possibly be placed in that group. Just my opinion though.

I'd call it landmark because I hear a remarkable shift in style and energy from Test For Echo.... bigger than any previous shift since Presto. Sure, VT is still heavy.... but it gives me a completely different vibe. The first time I heard VT, I had already listened to most of the other Rush albums, and I honestly thought I had somehow put in the wrong CD and was listening to a different band. But I loved it.

Maybe landmark isn't the right word because the shift didn't really lead anywhere, and Rush now seems to be going in a different direction from the one they established with VT.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 16 2012, 01:25 PM)

cool10.gif

I'd call it landmark because I hear a remarkable shift in style and energy from Test For Echo.... bigger than any previous shift since Presto. Sure, VT is still heavy.... but it gives me a completely different vibe. The first time I heard VT, I had already listened to most of the other Rush albums, and I honestly thought I had somehow put in the wrong CD and was listening to a different band. But I loved it.

Maybe landmark isn't the right word because the shift didn't really lead anywhere, and Rush now seems to be going in a different direction from the one they established with VT.

I see where you're going with it. I do understand.

There was a shift in style...BUT, at the same...it also brought some things to Rush's music that I think most Rush fans tend to agree are not the greatest additions:

- "Geddy choirs"

- Overkill of Layers (vocals, guitars, etc)

One could argue that the 'Geddy Choirs' came from his solo album, which is probably true. But the layers were a bit much.

On a personal level, some songs like Freeze and Peaceable Kingdom are simply too busy that it kind of kills the enjoyment for my ears. I'd love to hear those songs in more simplified, stripped down versions. I think they'd sound so much better personally...like new songs.

Again, you're absolutely right...it did bring the raw 'heaviness' to the band, and that of course, was very welcome. But one could argue that it was already back since Counterparts. TFE had many heavy songs...even songs that people seem to dislike to no end (Dog Years and Virtuality) are clearly very heavy. VT just kept the momentum really.

I think the one thing that VT will obviously always be remembered for is resurrecting a band that looked like it was retired and finished. I mean, in these past 10 years, the band has been on an incredible run...and I'm glad they've been able to do so. They've earned everything, and they deserve it.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 16 2012, 01:38 PM)

cool10.gif

There was a shift in style...BUT, at the same...it also brought some things to Rush's music that I think most Rush fans tend to agree are not the greatest additions:

- "Geddy choirs"

One could argue that the 'Geddy Choirs' came from his solo album, which is probably true. But the layers were a bit much.

On a personal level, some songs like Freeze and Peaceable Kingdom are simply too busy that it kind of kills the enjoyment for my ears. I'd love to hear those songs in more simplified, stripped down versions. I think they'd sound so much better personally...like new songs.

Again, you're absolutely right...it did bring the raw 'heaviness' to the band, and that of course, was very welcome. But one could argue that it was already back since Counterparts. TFE had many heavy songs...even songs that people seem to dislike to no end (Dog Years and Virtuality) are clearly very heavy. VT just kept the momentum really.

I think the one thing that VT will obviously always be remembered for is resurrecting a band that looked like it was retired and finished. I mean, in these past 10 years, the band has been on an incredible run...and I'm glad they've been able to do so. They've earned everything, and they deserve it.

I definitely agree that VT suffers from layer-overkill. I think the record would sound much better with a stripped-down garage-rock style of production. That said, my ear-enjoyment is not killed. smile.gif I just love the songs and the energy so much that the questionable production seems relatively negligible to me.

I do believe that history will regard VT as one of Rush's best albums. smile.gif However, I don't think "landmark" was the correct word to use.

I also think Geddy's voice sounds amazing on VT, so I like the Geddy choirs! laugh.gif (I fully understand that I am in the minority on this.)

QUOTE (ghostworks @ May 15 2012, 08:38 PM)

it's certainly the only album since Presto that's worth more than a couple of great tracks

VT is a phenomenal album - cursed by it's production, but alive and resonant like nothing else nonetheless

in fact, after listening to 'Headlong Flight' recently, I  realized what it made me feel most was a yearning for the pure fire, emotion and groove of 'Freeze'

that song ('Freeze') is probably the best song they've written in almost 20 years - brutal (in a good way) and absolutely epic

can't say enough about it

By you, perhaps, but certainly not by me and the great majority of Rush fans. VT has its moments and a handful of really good/great songs (Freeze, Earthshine, Vapor Trail, Nocturne), but it has too many issues to be considered anything more than an average Rush album, much less a great one.

Edited by The K Man

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 16 2012, 12:38 PM)

cool10.gif

- "Geddy choirs"

the Geddy choirs ruined it for me. There are some good songs. But the problem is there is not much space or melody for me in those VT songs. HEAVY seems to be the modern way of saying that NEW RUsh is good, and just being Heavy does not make it great.

I love Vapor Trails. I think it's one of the most personal, emotional albums Rush has made. Music wise it's very original and shows a side of the band I hadn't heard before. Lyric wise it's very moving and inspiring. The production wasn't very good and that's a shame. But they will release a remixed version so I'll listen to that one in the future.

The only thing I don't like about this album and also S&A is the choir of Geddy's. I agree that Rush should use less overdubs, especially with Geddy's voice.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 14 2012, 08:29 PM)
QUOTE (Animate @ May 14 2012, 09:25 PM)
VT is sort of like the "Rush equivalent" among all the Rush albums, in that some how it is uncool to love it or people think you don't know anything about good music if you love it.

For me, Test For Echo is that album. If someone says they like T4E, I immediately judge them. tongue.gif

Judge Me! Judge Me! tongue.gif

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ May 17 2012, 03:04 PM)
VT is sort of like the "Rush equivalent" among all the Rush albums, in that some how it is uncool to love it or people think you don't know anything about good music if you love it.

For me, Test For Echo is that album. If someone says they like T4E, I immediately judge them. tongue.gif

Hate to break it to you, but T4E, VT, and S&A are all about equal.

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ May 17 2012, 04:35 PM)
QUOTE (Nate2112 @ May 17 2012, 03:04 PM)

Hate to break it to you, but T4E, VT, and S&A are all about equal.

Well, shoot! Thanks for breaking the rough news. And to think I've been wrong about Vapor Trails this whole time. Silly me!

Wow, i just really gave this album a listen with an open mind and its a lot better than it's made out to be. listening to it at loud volumes does get a bit fatiguing, but i found lower volumes aren't a problem.

Nocturne, Vapor Trail, Sweet Miracle, Freeze, Ceiling Unlimited are pretty badass; they should play anyone of these on tour and i would be happy. i've always loved Secret Touch and One Little Victory, but i prefer the SnA live and remix versions respectively.

the latest from Alex in regards to the Vapor Trails remix/remaster:

We've been talking about it for years but every time we try to make a move on it something else comes up and because it's a back burner issue it gets left. We were very close a while back and Rich was going to start remixing it when we finished this record but other things were slotted in but we'll get to it one of these days.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 15 2012, 01:09 AM)
Also, Freeze would've been a good closer. In fact, Out Of The Cradle is the only song on VT I can't get into. I almost always stop listening after Freeze.

Without a doubt. OOOC is one of the 5 worst Rush songs ever.

And the other 4 were probably on Feedback.

VT Remix news from Ged in the new issue of Prog Magazine:

That was an idea but it's now been shifted down. Rather than remix the entire album we might now take a bunch of different songs from albums and get different people to remix them for fun, rather than just do Vapor Trails. It's an idea in flux.

wtf.gif

Are we gonna get the Dub Mix version of Earthshine now??

The dance club Darned Dragon remix of One Little Victory??

Will we be hearing the Temporary Madness Remix feat. Jay-Z version of "Nocturne"???

unsure.gif

QUOTE (wilb1972 @ May 24 2012, 08:00 AM)

That was an idea but it's now been shifted down. Rather than remix the entire album we might now take a bunch of different songs from albums and get different people to remix them for fun, rather than just do Vapor Trails. It's an idea in flux.

Wait.... WHATTTT??! I want a VT remix!! angry.gif rage.gif

Do you have a link for that quote?

QUOTE (wilb1972 @ May 24 2012, 06:00 AM)

wtf.gif

Will we be hearing the Temporary Madness Remix feat. Jay-Z version of "Nocturne"???

unsure.gif

That might be the one thing that makes me completely abandon this band. I can accept damn near anything they want to experiment with, but putting out a CD of remixes by other people? Fk that.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 24 2012, 02:28 PM)

wtf.gif

unsure.gif

That might be the one thing that makes me completely abandon this band. I can accept damn near anything they want to experiment with, but putting out a CD of remixes by other people? Fk that.

Oh please, you're overreacting, Boy George.

Edited by D3strukt

QUOTE (D3strukt @ May 24 2012, 02:18 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 24 2012, 02:28 PM)

wtf.gif

unsure.gif

Oh please, you're overreacting, Boy George.

No, I'm not. I'm completely unemotional, very rational about this. I object to this idea so much that I could very well give up on Rush as a result. I would still enjoy everything up to that point, but from then on, I simply would't care. They'd be dead to me.