Vapor Trails came out ten years ago

circumstantial tree

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 30 2012, 10:33 AM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 30 2012, 11:13 AM)
QUOTE (Alexmai @ May 30 2012, 10:50 AM)
I just ended the Rushography tour in the other thread... VT is a GREAT album smile.gif better imho than 80% of Rush after 1985

Interesting...I certainly couldn't disagree more.

Yeah , that is a tad wacky

Rush after 1985...

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll the Bones

Counterparts

Test For Echo

Vapor Trails

Snakes & Arrows

To say it beats 80%, VT would have to be ranked #3 or #2 on that list, if I'm doing the math right. I like VT a lot, but that's crazy.

Still, there are people that really hate HYF and call it the worst of the 80's, and many of those people really hate Presto and RTB for many of the same reasons. That pretty much leaves CP, TFE and SNA... and VT beats TFE hands down. So I guess if you just really hate their late 80's/early 90's period, VT does beat 80% of their post-1985 output.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 30 2012, 09:42 AM)
I just ended the Rushography tour in the other thread... VT is a GREAT album smile.gif better imho than 80% of Rush after 1985

Rush after 1985...

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll the Bones

Counterparts

Test For Echo

Vapor Trails

Snakes & Arrows

To say it beats 80%, VT would have to be ranked #3 or #2 on that list, if I'm doing the math right. I like VT a lot, but that's crazy.

Still, there are people that really hate HYF and call it the worst of the 80's, and many of those people really hate Presto and RTB for many of the same reasons. That pretty much leaves CP, TFE and SNA... and VT beats TFE hands down. So I guess if you just really hate their late 80's/early 90's period, VT does beat 80% of their post-1985 output.

I don't hate Rush's late-80's/early-90's period at all, but in my own personal list, Vapor Trails is ranked #1 among the post-Power Windows material. Counterparts is a close second.

Don't get me wrong, I still like HYF, Presto, and RTB, but in my book, VT is much more consistent that any of those records.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 30 2012, 11:42 AM)

I explain badly... VT songs are better than 80% of the other songs 1985-2007... let's say 7x10 = 70 songs circa... only 10-12 songs are better than the VT ones... In my opinion, they are Bravado, Dreamline, Animate, Double agent, Far cry, Armor & sword and a few others...

It's better, now? smile.gif

QUOTE (Alexmai @ May 30 2012, 02:41 PM)

I explain badly... VT songs are better than 80% of the other songs 1985-2007... let's say 7x10 = 70 songs circa... only 10-12 songs are better than the VT ones... In my opinion, they are Bravado, Dreamline, Animate, Double agent, Far cry, Armor & sword and a few others...

You like what you like, and that's cool smile.gif I think VT is vastly underrated myself, but I love Presto, HYF, most of RTB and much of SNA even more. trink39.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 30 2012, 02:33 PM)

Rush after 1985...

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll the Bones

Counterparts

Test For Echo

Vapor Trails

Snakes & Arrows

I don't hate Rush's late-80's/early-90's period at all, but in my own personal list, Vapor Trails is ranked #1 among the post-Power Windows material. Counterparts is a close second.

Don't get me wrong, I still like HYF, Presto, and RTB, but in my book, VT is much more consistent that any of those records.

Consistently sucky, you mean

Well I take that back. Vapor Trail is a good song, therefore it's not consistently sucky

Edited by SchemingDemon

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ May 30 2012, 04:58 PM)

Rush after 1985...

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll the Bones

Counterparts

Test For Echo

Vapor Trails

Snakes & Arrows

Well I take that back. Vapor Trail is a good song, therefore it's not consistently sucky

Oh yeah. That was what I meant. Thanks for catching that. eyesre4.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 30 2012, 07:58 PM)

Rush after 1985...

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll the Bones

Counterparts

Test For Echo

Vapor Trails

Snakes & Arrows

Oh yeah. That was what I meant. Thanks for catching that. eyesre4.gif tongue.gif

I guess I exaggerated a little to coincide with your post, but I just think VT is pretty inconsistent. It's the ONLY Rush album that I've never been able to get into 100% at some point or another. I've spun Presto, HYF and RTB for days at a time, but you'll never catch me doing that with VT.

I can listen to the title track (which is actually in my top 20 favorite songs), How It Is, Secret Touch and Freeze but the rest to me are just blah.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ May 30 2012, 07:33 PM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 30 2012, 07:58 PM)

Rush after 1985...

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll the Bones

Counterparts

Test For Echo

Vapor Trails

Snakes & Arrows

I guess I exaggerated a little to coincide with your post, but I just think VT is pretty inconsistent. It's the ONLY Rush album that I've never been able to get into 100% at some point or another. I've spun Presto, HYF and RTB for days at a time, but you'll never catch me doing that with VT.

I can listen to the title track (which is actually in my top 20 favorite songs), How It Is, Secret Touch and Freeze but the rest to me are just blah.

trink39.gif

I was just being snarky. smile.gif

Fair enough. For me, T4E is the only Rush record I've never been able to get into completely. Something about it just bugs the heck out of me. I've listened to HYF, Presto, and RTB for days at a time too. But never T4E. Heck, I bash S&A from time to time but I definitely go through periods of S&A-craving.

What's also interesting -- I love VT but How It Is and Freeze aren't even in my top 75. Vapor Trail is in my top 5 though, and Secret Touch is definitely in my top 50.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Alexmai @ May 30 2012, 03:41 PM)

smile.gif

QUOTE (New World Kid @ May 31 2012, 12:03 AM)
Vapor Trails is my favorite Rush album.

Give me an album with songs that deal with real life over silly snow dogs and black holes any day.

And Vapor Trails is as real as it gets.

Yeah, Vapor Trails is my favorite Rush album for lyrics hands down. For me though, music is always much more important than lyrics, so the snow dogs and black holes don't bother me too much (although admittedly they are silly). However, the way the music and lyrics come together on VT is something special.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 31 2012, 11:24 AM)
QUOTE (New World Kid @ May 31 2012, 12:03 AM)

Give me an album with songs that deal with real life over silly snow dogs and black holes any day.

Yeah, Vapor Trails is my favorite Rush album for lyrics hands down. For me though, music is always much more important than lyrics, so the snow dogs and black holes don't bother me too much (although admittedly they are silly). However, the way the music and lyrics come together on VT is something special.

Snow Dogs and Black Holes silly?

Blasphemy!! tongue.gif

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ May 14 2012, 06:56 PM)
I've been listening to VT a lot lately. I just love this album.

Hard to believe that 2002 was 10 years ago. I'm getting old as hell. tongue.gif

Me too...on both fronts

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jun 4 2012, 01:53 AM)
QUOTE (Dscrapre @ May 14 2012, 06:56 PM)
I've been listening to VT a lot lately. I just love this album.

Hard to believe that 2002 was 10 years ago. I'm getting old as hell.  tongue.gif

Me too...on both fronts

Yeah me too. I can't believe it's been 10 years already... Time goes by so fast! old.gif

I've been listening to Vapor Trails today (I don't have the CA leak, waiting for the album to come out), and you know what? I really love this album!

I know this album gets a lot of hate, but it's one of my favorites.

The songwriting on VT is brilliant. The lyrics are really inspiring to me and the music rocks.

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Jun 5 2012, 02:11 PM)
I've been listening to Vapor Trails today (I don't have the CA leak, waiting for the album to come out), and you know what? I really love this album!
The songwriting on VT is brilliant. The lyrics are really inspiring to me and the music rocks.

applaudit.gif i have been sayin that for quite some time 2.gif

QUOTE (canadianice @ Jun 5 2012, 08:22 PM)

trink39.gif It's great album, I love every song on it!

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Jun 5 2012, 12:26 PM)

Hear, hear! 1022.gif trink39.gif

I'd come back to VT more if, aside from the obvious production issues that's been discussed to death on here, it was three or four songs shorter. I'm a fan of quality not quanity. There have been too many filler songs on the last two studio albums.

QUOTE (jnoble @ Jun 6 2012, 01:31 AM)
I'd come back to VT more if, aside from the obvious production issues that's been discussed to death on here, it was three or four songs shorter. I'm a fan of quality not quanity. There have been too many filler songs on the last two studio albums.

There's no filler on Vapor Trails. And the production issues don't bother me that much.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Jun 5 2012, 05:33 PM)

cheer.gif common001.gif cheer.gif common001.gif

Count me in! I often listen to Rush Radio at work. When a VT song come on, there is always an involuntary "Oh Yeah!" moment!

QUOTE (Animate @ Jun 6 2012, 06:43 AM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Jun 5 2012, 05:33 PM)

cheer.gif common001.gif cheer.gif common001.gif

Count me in! I often listen to Rush Radio at work. When a VT song come on, there is always an involuntary "Oh Yeah!" moment!

Vapor Trails is awesome, such EMOTION and songs that just kick your ass! The production is so insanely loud ( beathorse.gif ), but I love it!! Easily top 10 list of albums for sure

QUOTE (New World Kid @ May 31 2012, 02:03 AM)

goodpost.gif

yes.gif