How do we not compare New Rush to Classic Rush?

rushgoober

QUOTE (Chicken hawk @ May 13 2012, 03:34 PM)
There is absolutely no critisizing  any Rush music..new or old...come on you Fans !

pokey.gif

2.gif

Please have mercy, O Great One! We bow before you, Fearless Leader of the Glorious People's Republic of Rushistan!

notworthy.gif

tongue.gif

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ May 13 2012, 12:07 PM)
I still want to hear something on the forthcoming album that really makes me jaw drop like the middle section in Marathon

I absolutely love the middle section of Marathon, and I think the middle section of Caravan is just as good, if not better.

QUOTE (CruisingInPrimetime @ May 13 2012, 03:28 PM)
QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ May 13 2012, 12:07 PM)
I still want to hear something on the forthcoming album that really makes me jaw drop like the middle section in Marathon

I absolutely love the middle section of Marathon, and I think the middle section of Caravan is just as good, if not better.

Whatever, man tongue.gif

Nah, but I hear what you're saying. I just think Marathon has the perfect breakdown section. It's tense, but very epic sounding with Alex's leads accenting the song perfectly. It's one of my favourite Rush tunes, so it always impresses me. It has that huge sound and then goes into Geddy singing You can do a lot in a lifetime.... It's just perfect.

I'm glad Caravan has a great section like that for you, but it doesn't reach Marathon's brilliance for me cool.gif

I have to agree that while I understand this is a messageboard with a purpose for discussing the new music, the endless pontificating and pouring over every shred of detail, whether real or imagined... is, for me, a bit overkill.

Can we not just listen to music anymore? lol

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 13 2012, 11:11 AM)
My whole premise though is how can you NOT compare them to the 70's, 80's and 90's?  No they're not the same people, but listening to a new song, you're inevitably going to compare it with their history and legacy. 

There is nothing inevitable about it. You (an others) do it for some unknown reason to me.

The incessant analysis of every aspect of everything is weird to me. Someone was criticizing the CA book cover the minute it came out. Good lord.

If you (generic you) don't like anything from the last 20 years, you don't like the band. Move on to something you like. I like it that the music has matured along with members of the band.

While I do like a lot of newer Rush, the last "Great" song, in my opinion was "Dreamline" from RTB. And that was the ONLY great song on that album. In fact, Presto had no "great" songs on it. There were a ton of "great" songs from their 2112 through POW period. Yes, I'm 44 so my first "new" Rush album was ESL, and yes I'm sure there is some nostolgia at play, but the bottom line is Rush have never (for me) equalled what they did in the past. Oh, they've come close a couple of times. If Earthshine and Far Cry had better guitar solos I perhaps would consider them great.

Having said that, I do enjoy (for the most part) the newer Rush, and I am looking forward to the new release. I think HF, CA and BU2B are very good songs. I just don't get why some have go out of their way (not you goobs) to make it seem like the songs on the last two albums are no better than a dog's anus. I mean, it's not like they are as bad as Prime Mover.

wink.gif

It all comes down to how RUSH feels, in the 70's and Early 80's they had something to prove to themselves. They accomplished that with MP. Then in the 80's they wanted to write more concise, shorter songs! They Accomplished that as well. Now they just want to rock hard. The only reason HF and the other two songs are as intricate as they are is probably due to Nick's influence. Hell, he's basically telling Neil what to play!

confused13.gif

Live in the moment.. How many other great bands,are making music at at all anymore.? C'mon man! I remember having the old rush vs new rush conversations back in 1989-1990. This is so unique,we are all so fortunate to be along on this ride, in 1998 it was over.then they came back,you have to enjoy this time.we all love this band,the lyrics the riffs there sense of humor.I remover my guitar teacher back in 1983 saying signals sucked,it was not heavy enough,and it was not as good as 2112.he shut the door on Rush,because they changed,evolved,into a new form for a season? I think that is what makes them so special.I say don't compare,just enjoy...when it's over.its over.

QUOTE (MJH @ May 13 2012, 08:02 PM)
Live in the moment.. How many other great bands,are making music at at all anymore.? C'mon man! I remember having the old rush vs new rush conversations back in 1989-1990. This is so unique,we are all so fortunate to be along on this ride, in 1998 it was over.then they came back,you have to enjoy this time.we all love this band,the lyrics the riffs there sense of humor.I remover my guitar teacher back in 1983 saying signals sucked,it was not heavy enough,and it was not as good as 2112.he shut the door on Rush,because they changed,evolved,into a new form for a season? I think that is what makes them so special.I say don't compare,just enjoy...when it's over.its over.

Only 31 posts but one of the best posts I've ever read on here. Congrats. trink39.gif

When it's all over, they will probably be arguing on how they didn't approve of the Retirement announcments.

Goober: "I didn't like the announcment, Way to Structured!"

TonyR: "They're retirement was overdue, they haven't produced anything worth listening too since MP."

Treeduck: "What do I create a poll about now?"

Trenken: "I don't think Geddy should have made the announcment, cause his voice isn't that great anymore."

WC Fields: "

"What do I write a poll about now?"
laugh.gif

GedNeil Alpeart: "They should have retired after HYF! I find their announcement too Plodding now! "

Losingit2K "I think RUSH will reunite after they get inducted into The RRHOF next year!" 2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 13 2012, 09:50 AM)
When listening to new Rush, how can we not compare it to all that came before it?

I do.

QUOTE (CantStopThinkingBig @ May 13 2012, 12:49 PM)
Classic Rush = positive, upbeat lyrics

New Rush = I hate God/religion/Christians, the world sucks

I disagree with that generalization.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ May 13 2012, 07:53 PM)
While I do like a lot of newer Rush, the last "Great" song, in my opinion was "Dreamline" from RTB. And that was the ONLY great song on that album.

I like Dreamline, but it's not even my favorite on RTB (IMO, Ghost of a Chance and Bravado are better). Off the top of my head, I can think of 12 more recent songs I like better than Dreamline.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 13 2012, 11:11 AM)
For example, people are super grateful that guitar soloing is back, and there is a solo in HF, but compare that to say the all-out guitar wankfest of La Villa Strangiato.  I would much rather listen to the mega intense, raw and long guitar solo in Working Man than I would to the short wah-wah solo in HF. 

Most of Lifeson's solos in other old songs don't stand up to those two (or Limelight) either.

IMO, there are many post-1980s songs with inspirational solos, great melodies, fun drum fills, groovy bass lines, etc. I know some on this board will disagree with me, but I also think Peart is back in top form lyrically.

QUOTE (CantStopThinkingBig @ May 13 2012, 11:49 AM)
Classic Rush = positive, upbeat lyrics

New Rush = I hate God/religion/Christians, the world sucks

that's seriously a bit of a stretch......

Just something I found interesting: I had a friend of mine listen to Headlong Flight, he's not a hardcore fan or anything but he's familiar enough with the band, and when I told him that it was a brand new song, he was surprised. He said he thought it was one of their older songs. The difference may seem dramatic to some of us, but not to everyone.

QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ May 13 2012, 09:28 PM)
Just something I found interesting: I had a friend of mine listen to Headlong Flight, he's not a hardcore fan or anything but he's familiar enough with the band, and when I told him that it was a brand new song, he was surprised. He said he thought it was one of their older songs. The difference may seem dramatic to some of us, but not to everyone.

it does sound like something from - FBN-Through- AFTK! basically cause it has no keyboards and its heavy as hell!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ May 13 2012, 11:09 AM)
Basically what you learn real quick on any internet message board, not just here and not just for bands, is that people have a serious problem accepting the fact that not everyone shares the same opinion as them, but at the same time it's everyone's right to share their opinions, even the negative ones as long as they don't start attacking people or trying to start fights, which is what trolling is.

I've said many times I really dont love much of anything they've done since I guess Presto. I dont think the playing by either member is on the same level as it was, I dont think Geddy is a very good singer anymore, I absolutely hate Neil's lyrics, and I just don't think the song writing or many of the vocal melodies are even close to what it used to be, but I'm still a fan, I still spend money to see them, I dont attack people that feel differently. In fact Im often attacked just for sharing an honest opinion.

To me it's not really about just comparing. The old stuff was just better. The band was better, they were younger and hungry. That's just how I see it and that won't change at this point.

Yeah the internet is a hotbed of cyber bullies who feel their opinion is the only opinion. And we all may fall into that trap sometimes when we are passionate about something. It is only human.

With that, how can anyone who has been a Rush fan for decades (as most of us here are) not compare their new output to their previous work? I always do.

And I have always known that they have not topped their first 10-12 years (studio work only not live) as a band. Nor do I expect them to ever do so. Nor do I care.

I love all their music. They had a couple of a albums which I consider ok and not up to the high standards they have spoiled me with but everything else is great to my ears.

I would love to say Clockwork Angels is the best since I don't know say.... Power Windows....and it very well may be. That would be very cool.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 13 2012, 11:07 PM)
QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ May 13 2012, 09:28 PM)

it does sound like something from - FBN-Through- AFTK! basically cause it has no keyboards and its heavy as hell!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Well....let's be honest here. They lifted the Bastille Day riff to a major degree for Headlong Flight. And by all means.....it's cool. It's there own music! They can do whatever the hell they want with their own riffage.

To compare new to old, I felt that since Hemispheres they had matured in to grown men and given up on the imaginative ways of the sounds and stories they had once created in their youth. Most of their songs from the 80's on weren't lyrically about fantasy or grand tales, they were more about real life feelings and situations.

With that said, the reason CA has me so excited is because these 3 guys who are nearly 60 years old have gone back to using their imaginations and taking risks, unlike what they did with S&A and VT (I still love both of those albums). Neil actually wrote a story this time, rather than just expressing his feelings poetically. Their songs, while not NS, Xanadu, or La Villa, are less chained than they have been in recent years. Yes, I know that it's not quite like it used to be, but it's a slight return to form that I think most Rush fans have been missing since the 80's. And I hope that it turns out really great, for them and for us.

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ May 14 2012, 11:13 AM)
To compare new to old, I felt that since Hemispheres they had matured in to grown men and given up on the imaginative ways of the sounds and stories they had once created in their youth. Most of their songs from the 80's on weren't lyrically about fantasy or grand tales, they were more about real life feelings and situations.

With that said, the reason CA has me so excited is because these 3 guys who are nearly 60 years old have gone back to using their imaginations and taking risks, unlike what they did with S&A and VT (I still love both of those albums). Neil actually wrote a story this time, rather than just expressing his feelings poetically. Their songs, while not NS, Xanadu, or La Villa, are less chained than they have been in recent years. Yes, I know that it's not quite like it used to be, but it's a slight return to form that I think most Rush fans have been missing since the 80's. And I hope that it turns out really great, for them and for us.

goodpost.gif