I Must Confess! The Bass Line On "Open Secrets"

RUSHHEAD666

For some reason listening to "Headlong Flight" over and over again got me into "Hold Your Fire."

Perhaps it's the 9:12 (21:12 Military Time) innuendo that relates to the inner sleeve "Hold Your Fire" artwork.

Anyway, "Open Secrets" is a great song. Geddy's bass pops and jams through this incredible song.

Wouldn't you agree?

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

Production aside, I think Ged and Neil really shine (technically) on most of HYF. Very tight, very complex. Alex did get elbowed out a bit, but he played the heck out of the space he was given. I'm one of the minority (or quiet majority) that loves HYF.

QUOTE (ioc @ May 13 2012, 06:28 AM)
Production aside, I think Ged and Neil really shine (technically) on most of HYF. Very tight, very complex. Alex did get elbowed out a bit, but he played the heck out of the space he was given. I'm one of the minority (or quiet majority) that loves HYF.

I agree, Geddy was phenominal on HYF, but Alex is transparent on it. I used to love HYF but haven't listened to it ages, not a big fan anymore.

Great song 1022.gif

Put this song in the category of "I can't believe this has never been played live before" ohmy.gif

Not only does Geddy shine but so does Alex, his playing is equally great on this song. I love the chorus to, very catchy with well written lyrics. I've always thought this song should have been a big hit for them. Not sure why it didn't happen but somebody at the label goofed up by not making it a single wacko.gif

I've said it before, HYF is the height of Geddy's skills at crafting bass lines. The bass line on Open Secrets may be my favorite from the album. Prime Mover is another example of a killer line.

I've always felt that if some of that seemingly gratuitous synth was rearranged for heavy guitar, it would juxtapose nicely with Alex's cleaner guitar within the songs. I bet that would appease many of the hataz.

ps. I like HYF as is, but wouldn't kick a rerelease like that out of bed, so to speak.

Great song and bassline, to be sure. For some reason this song and Middletown Dreams always get mixed up in my head.... not sure why. wacko.gif I'll be humming that opening synth or guitar part and all of a sudden I'll start singing, "dreams flow across the heartland.... feeding on the fires...."

Man, now I want to hear both of those songs on this tour. Probably won't happen though. fists crying.gif

QUOTE (ioc @ May 13 2012, 05:28 AM)

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (ioc @ May 13 2012, 03:28 AM)

I think we're a quiet majority wink.gif

The bass on this whole album is simply spectacular: Geddy was playing in a different style (I read this somewhere) and that "popping" sound was part of it.

I agree that Alex was elbowed out, but that made him think "outside the box" and the parts he came up with pack a lot of punch. For example: in Force Ten, after the break, after Geddy sings "look out for the force without form" there are three notes. 3 notes! But, my gawd, what emotion Alex puts into them.

As for Open Secrets.... I love it. But then, I love every song on HYF. Even Tai Shan. Beautiful! wub.gif

Just listened to Open Secrets for the first time in a long time. This is one of the better tracks off HYF, and for my ears it has held up well. Less busy in terms of synth as many of he other HYF tracks. I think it would fit well on Presto, which I like a lot.

Think they could pull this off live? It would kill, with a heavier guitar sound from Alex.

Every song on HYF is a delight for bass players, great bass lines, awesome tone and the way Geddy plays each note with so much feel! Obviously the Wal bass tone has a lot to do with it, much more warm and subtle than the heavy distorted Fender sound of late!

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ May 13 2012, 03:09 AM)
For some reason listening to "Headlong Flight" over and over again got me into "Hold Your Fire."

Perhaps it's the 9:12 (21:12 Military Time) innuendo that relates to the inner sleeve "Hold Your Fire" artwork. 

Anyway,  "Open Secrets" is a great song.  Geddy's bass pops and jams through this incredible song.

Wouldn't you agree?

One of my fav Rush songs. The ending is exhilirating with Geddy ripping it up with keys and bass. Great lyrics, great tune with a nice Alex solo. I love many songs of HYF!

Edited by Gedneil Alpeart

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ May 14 2012, 06:35 PM)
Any fans of High Water? I just LOVE that tune!

Yes! High Water is so underrated, at least I've noticed on this forum. But then again, nobody really likes to admit enjoying HYF anyways tongue.gif

I'll be honest. There really isn't a song on HYF I don't like. This one probably is my least favorite, but it's still good. Then again, I love Tai Shan. There. I said it. Not to sound like an AudioSnob, but having played this album on my friends kick ass audiophile sound system (the speaker wire could literally shock you to death...I $#!t thee not), it almost made me cry it sounded so good.

QUOTE (ioc @ May 14 2012, 08:44 PM)
I'll be honest. There really isn't a song on HYF I don't like. This one probably is my least favorite, but it's still good. Then again, I love Tai Shan. There. I said it. Not to sound like an AudioSnob, but having played this album on my friends kick ass audiophile sound system (the speaker wire could literally shock you to death...I $#!t thee not), it almost made me cry it sounded so good.

Tai Shan to me is a sentimental softie. It's not a terrible song like some make it out to be, though is quite subdued by Rush's standards. The music to me nicely captures the visuals that Neil is trying to convey in the lyrics....open ness, panoramic views, broad perspective, reflection, spiritual undertones, and Chinese flavor.

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ May 14 2012, 07:28 PM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ May 14 2012, 06:35 PM)
Any fans of High Water?  I just LOVE that tune!

Yes! High Water is so underrated, at least I've noticed on this forum. But then again, nobody really likes to admit enjoying HYF anyways tongue.gif

I love High Water. It gets dogged here a lot.