What is the point of cynicism and negativity?

Gedneil Alpeart

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 9 2012, 02:48 PM)
I happen to think Armor & Sword and Far Cry is up there among their best stuff too - not top ten certainly, but top twenty-five

Wow . Just Wow cool10.gif

moon.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 9 2012, 02:46 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ May 9 2012, 02:27 PM)
Analogies - just too damn hard for the average Rush fan?

biggrin.gif

No, we understand them just fine, Casper.

Having harmless fun at another's expense = beyond the abilities of ghostworks to grasp.

We was just yolking around. It was an eggcercise in humor. Ya know, like what did the egg say to the C clamp? Hey, what are we doing in a Rush album. AHHH.

Didn't claim I crack good yolks smile.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 9 2012, 03:03 PM)
I happen to think Armor & Sword and Far Cry is up there among their best stuff too - not top ten certainly, but top twenty-five

moon.gif

^^^^^^^

this reply is suitable for 87% of rushgoobers posts.

joker.gif Haha.. just kidding.

Only 78% tongue.gif laugh.gif pokey.gif

The Johnny-come-lately know-it-all fans are like male paediatricians claiming they know more about childhood than mothers.

You know the facts but you don't have experience.

moon.gif

Yeah but that's coming from someone who thinks HYF is a stellar record. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 9 2012, 03:17 PM)
The Johnny-come-lately know-it-all fans are like male paediatricians claiming they know more about childhood than mothers.

http://i.imgur.com/ucslu.jpg

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 9 2012, 03:23 PM)

moon.gif

Yeah but that's coming from someone who thinks HYF is a stellar record. tongue.gif

I don't know what he smokes . Oh, wait, i do laugh.gif

I thought that a recent post on here from some guy 20 + years younger than me got into Rush because of T4E is so mind-blowingly cool.

The fact that that an album like CA might attract an even newer/younger fan base is one of the many friking cool things about Rush. Even if I am happy listening to Xanadu 5,000,000 times.

If there is such thing as a "real Rush fan", it is the person still pumped up with excitement at hearing the music and lyrics like they are new.

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 9 2012, 02:17 PM)

You do realize you're talking about listening to music, right? This isn't rocket science. There's very little difference between someone who came on board 20 years ago and someone who came on 30 years ago. Statements like yours insinuate that newer fans can't understand *music*. Does this mean everyone's opinions about, say, Beethoven are invalid after all this time?

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 9 2012, 08:27 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ May 9 2012, 03:17 PM)

http://i.imgur.com/ucslu.jpg

Any excuse to get a pic of James Van Der Beek in.

SO predictable Duckster, SO predictable.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 9 2012, 10:07 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 9 2012, 11:01 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ May 9 2012, 10:58 AM)
I dont think most people care much about how it technically sounds, unless it's just blatantly bad, like VT. It was just impossible to ignore how muddy that sounded, but we already know that Nick is an experienced producer and works with a real engineer, unlike what Rush did with VT, so that isn't happening again.

See, I like Vapor Trails. I was unaware of the technical problems until somebody pointed them out.

I love Signals, but one complaint that somebody could make is that it's a very quiet album. The volume has to be turned up higher to equal Moving Pictures or Grace Under Pressure.

Right...but if you crank Signals, your ears won't bleed. wink.gif

Actually, I've heard my ears cry Thank You!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 9 2012, 01:03 PM)

moon.gif

confused13.gif

I can't help it if you don't appreciate these awesome songs. no.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (Sin City @ May 9 2012, 01:24 PM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ May 9 2012, 08:09 AM)
A new Rush album is coming.....excitement and hype abound.  I can perfectly understand fans wanting to be cautious about expectations and not wanting to hype lest raise too high and unrealistic hopes only to be disappointed.  However, some of you go beyond this....expressing pervasive cynicism and negativity about the album, which hasn't even been heard in full.  Yes, I know that some of you dont like the three songs heard so far and you have every right to express your dissatisfaction, but the attitude I also sense is of almost complete dismissal and panning...not able to salvage anything positive out of the new stuff.  I see this on other forums too, usually much worse there than on here. 

Beyond expressing particular points of dissatisfaction, what gives about the bashing?  Why the trolling?  Are you indirectly expressing some sort of grudge towards the band about past expectations being smashed or utter disappointment?  Is this negativity some sort of defense mechanism against disappointment, or you just like to express dissenting opinions for attention, or vent your frustrations about other things in your lives that have nothing to do with Rush?  Do you feel envious towards those Rush fans who are enjoying new material, but you cant join the party?  Are you frustrated that Rush didnt create MP 2 or your own personal fantasy album?  Im not trying to sound like a jerk, but just curious to know the reasons behind all this negative spew I see and hear so often when it comes to new Rush.

The negativity is old and tiresome.  It contributes nothing positive to discussions.  Heard it all.  Again, to be clear, Im no fan boy and dont appreciate blind praise for anything Rush puts out either.  There are many Rush songs I dont much appreciate, but I try to keep an open mind too.  Im also not talking about critical reviews or healthy analyses and debates with balanced perspectives.  Expressing general dislike for a song or album is not what I have an issue with.  You know what Im talking about....we've seen it here, elsewhere and will see it again.........unfortunately.

Well, well, what have we here? This is a forum isn't it? And here's me thinking that a forum is where people discuss things and -gasp- exchange different points of view?

How the hell can you have a discussion if everyone thinks the same bloody thing; Clockwork Angels man, great album...................................?? Seems we can only have an opinion as long as it coincides with your narrow world view that only nob jockey gushingly positive posts are relevant?

See, the problem for me (potential brit troll in your eyes no doubt) is that a LOT of us brits (and other rush fans) were raised on early Rush 76-81. IMO and for lots of other Rush fans the band hit a creative peak with Moving Pictures and the decline started with Signals. Every album thereafter, with perhaps the exception of Power Windows has flashes of brilliance but nowhere near the consistency of kings to pictures.

Reasons?

They were never as hungry as they were before MP because that record made them for life. Every band hits a creative peak and MP was theirs. Malcolm Dome a british rock music writer made a very insightful comment in classic rock a few years ago when comparing the band to AC/DC noting that the aussies knew exactly what their strengths were whereas Rush didn't. That strength was overplaying like crazy and creating cinematic music that builds an image inside your head. I deny anyone to listen to the middle of the trees and not imagine being in a wood.

Then, despite Pearts assertion the band doesn't like to repeat themselves we got over 30 years of verse/chorus/bridge/verse/chorus songs. Really Neil???

And then we get the Johnny come latelys who didn't get into the band until the late 80's early 90's with absolutely zero appreciation of the bands early heritage who genuinely believe that songs like Caravan are amongst the finest songs the band have written. Pffft-how do you snort in print?

And that my friend is why some of us think the way we do. It's not negativity, it's not trolling, it's simply an opinion on the lament for what Rush used to be.

And this coming from someone whose last rush concert was 8 years ago - christ on a bike, I've seen them 6 times since then in the UK!

"Seems we can only have an opinion as long as it coincides with your narrow world view that only nob jockey gushingly positive posts are relevant?"

Read my post carefully. I never implied that we all have to agree or go ga ga over every Rush morsel of sound. I stated in my post EXPLICITELY that I have no issues with people's negative reviews or critical comments, but instead a pervasive negative sttitude and cynicism about new Rush that they seem to want to repeat over and over again. Fine. Dislike new Rush? Say it and move on....head over to the Rush reminiscence forums and leave the rest of us who do enjoy the new material alone. Why do some of you like to continually rant even though your opinions are well known? Panning is different than not liking this or that. And yeah, ignorance is going to be my approach from now on.

Oh, and like you, I was also raised on early Rush. And I still love the Rush of today. Yes, the Rush of 70s and 80s is my favorite period, but I still love a lot of songs they create today. Ufffff, how could I, right? How can I mingle with THEM?

And this " holier than thou" Rush snobbery is laughable. Some of you guys think that you "own" the most noble opinions of Rush and that the peons who came later are beneath you. And you accuse others of narrow mindedness? Like the other guy said, piss off. Keep you aristocratic judgements and shove em where they belong. NOBODY, yes not even you Brits, have a right to determine who is more of a true fan. Nobody knows what is in another Rush fan's heart, and nobody should pretend to know.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 9 2012, 03:38 PM)

You do realize you're talking about listening to music, right? This isn't rocket science. There's very little difference between someone who came on board 20 years ago and someone who came on 30 years ago. Statements like yours insinuate that newer fans can't understand *music*. Does this mean everyone's opinions about, say, Beethoven are invalid after all this time?

Couldn't disagree more. If someone gets into the band with Presto for example, that period of music is going to resonate much more than what came before and will shape your perception of what the band is about, the sound and your expectations.

Us grumpy old gits got into the band at the peak of their powers, so we expected great things, which they truly delivered, for record after record until......................signals.

So the Johnny come latelys (sorry) had much lower expectations than the likes of us. So, while you can understand music, no you can't and won't understand that for some of us the output of the last 30 years has been a bit underwhelming.

Planet rock played Red Barchetta this morning while I was sat eating my breakfast at 0630. And I thought, man this is sooo good- how the music tells the story and evokes pistons pumping, excitement and rebellion. Can you show me, with the odd exception, when they have created music of that quality on a consistent basis since then?

And I don't know where this idea from yourself and GeddyRulz comes from that people (like me) don't see you as proper rush fans. Once again, a critique of what you believe to be true is seen as a criticism of yourselves.

But back to the thread starter. it's just opinions boys and y'know you can like a band and criticise them at the same time.

Some of us grumpy old men want the band to make one last great statment, but from what I'm hearing so far......................

Go on Rush, prove me wrong and make this record a return to the glory days.

yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 9 2012, 05:03 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ May 9 2012, 01:03 PM)

moon.gif

confused13.gif

I can't help it if you don't appreciate these awesome songs. no.gif tongue.gif

laugh.gif

The same can be said for you with regards to BU2B and Caravan! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Majestyk @ May 9 2012, 05:05 PM)
See, I like Vapor Trails. I was unaware of the technical problems until somebody pointed them out.

People who feel this way probably have a poor audio setup...Or exclusively listen to car audio. I didn't need anyone to tell me VT sounded bad. I listened to the CD once...really liked most of the songs...And was unable to listen to it again. I didn't hear any muddiness per-say, it was just a LOUD painful assault on my ears.

Alex and Geddy have both spoken out regarding why it sounds so bad and even mentioned a possibility of a remix. I just don't understand why this is still being discussed.

Because we haven't yet got the remix in our hands! tongue.gif

Just love the irony in being told to piss off from a message board/forum on the grounds of snobbery and aristocracy. Colonialism anyone?

Know your place, Americans!! That is a joke, BTW.

Look no one, not even myself, is saying you are not true fans, just a different kind of true fan.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ May 9 2012, 10:07 PM)

yes.gif

Err no. If a 300 yr old expert who was a contemporary with Beethoven was still around, to make a more accurate analogy, you would bow to his first hand experience...