Songs that blew your mind

ILSnwdog

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 9 2012, 01:04 PM)
Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear The Reaper

On the same level as Astronomy for sure. Flawless. The next person to mention "more cowbell" is up against the wall.

Close to the Edge by Yes was one of the most amazing things I'd ever heard at the time (still is), but it completely changed my perspective on a lot of aspects of music. It's very important to me.

The Firebird Suite by Stravinsky is what turned me (back) on to classical music in 10th grade. Rachmaninoff's third piano concerto inspired me to actually take classical piano seriously. I still have a particular love for Russian classical repertoire.

Mahler's 2nd and 6th symphonies also blew me away the first time I heard each of them. I would most certainly consider them to be life-changing.

I would be amiss if I didn't also list The Beatles' Here Comes the Sun -- the song that turned me on to the band. For a while it was the only one I could stand, then I started listening to Abbey Road more in-depth, and pretty soon I understood why the band's entire output was so renowned and important.

A few songs that were favorites after my first dose of rock:

Rush - YYZ

AC/DC - Back in Black

Led Zeppelin - Living Loving Maid

Led Zeppelin - Bring it on Home

Here are a few that got me into prog:

Yes - Roundabout

Genesis - The Battle of Epping Forest

King Crimson - 21st century Schizoid Man

Yes - Close to the Edge

ELP - Tarkus

And a few recent ones:

Gong - Isle of Everywhere

Camel - Lady Fantasy

Caravan - Nine Feet Underground

Eloy - Land of No Body

QUOTE (fledgehog @ May 10 2012, 02:27 PM)
I would be amiss if I didn't also list The Beatles' Here Comes the Sun -- the song that turned me on to the band.  For a while it was the only one I could stand, then I started listening to Abbey Road more in-depth, and pretty soon I understood why the band's entire output was so renowned and important.

goodpost.gif

If there is such as thing as musical perfection, Here Comes The Sun is it. The song is profound, beautiful.....flawless. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Hearing Rush's "Xanadu" at the age of 4 practically made my musical tastes what they are, otherwise I would have been raised on pop radio.

Hearing "Dead!" by My Chemical Romance at the age of 14 showed me that there was new music out there worth checking out, without it I'd be stuck in the 1970s.

Men in black - Will Smith (Long time ago)

Shine on your crazy diamond - Pink Floyd (I was at a friend's house, and he inserted the Pulse VHS in the video player... Beautiful!

Bad reputation and/or Rockey - Thin Lizzy

Sultans of swing - Dire Straits

Pat Metheny group - Are you going with me?

Marathon (ASOH) - Rush (I had seen Tom sawyer on Vh1 a couple of times, but I just thought they looked silly and the music was kind of wierd. But one day I looked up Rush on youtube just to see if they had more videos where they looked and sounded even more wierd, just for a good laugh. I just clicked on a "related video" called Marathon (ASOH). It turned out to be exactly what I was missing in my life at that moment.)

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ May 9 2012, 08:36 AM)
"Far Cry" by Rush (I knew of them and a few of their hits, but when I heard this song, it kicked me in the balls and made me look a bit more closely at them.)

Far Cry made you look more closely at your balls?!! bolt.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ May 12 2012, 12:47 PM)
"Far Cry" by Rush (I knew of them and a few of their hits, but when I heard this song, it kicked me in the balls and made me look a bit more closely at them.)

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ May 9 2012, 02:57 PM)
The night of February 9, 1964 at the age of 7 years and 4 months when I sat in front of my parents' black and white TV and watched this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHuRusAlw-Y

It was ALL different after that.

I did a double take when I read this post and had to check that I didn't write it myself!! I turned 7 years old on Feb. 9, 1964 and went through exactly the same experience as you. I agree 100 % with your post, my friend. I remember that broadcast like it happened yesterday. The Beatles changed everything.

Witch Hunt -- Rush

Xanadu -- Rush

Passage to Bankok -- Rush

Dear Mr. Fantasy -- Traffic

Flirtin With Disaster -- Molly Hatchet

Nessum Dorma -- Puccini

Parade of the Dead -- Black Label Society

Die Hard the Hunter -- Def Lep

The Prisoner -- Maiden

Hallowed be thy Name -- Maiden

Revelations -- Maiden

Rime of the Ancient Mariner -- Maiden

Nautical Wheelers -- Jimmy Buffet

She-Wolf -- Megadeth

You Can't Kill Rock N Roll -- Ozzy

Over the Mountain -- Ozzy

Flying High Again -- Ozzy

Welcome to the Machine -- The Floyd

Mean Street -- Van Halen

Tuesday Morning -- Lynyrd Skynyrd

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ May 8 2012, 06:30 PM)
Blackest Eyes - Porcupine Tree. Thie first song of theirs I ever heard. Turned into a fan for life. They are now my second favorite band, behind Rush (of course).

Let's Go - The Cars. I was 13 when I heard this song on the radio. I hadn't heard anything from their debut. But I loved this so much that Candy-O became the first album I ever bought with my own money.

Us and Them - Pink Floyd. My uncle loaned me Dark Side of the Moon, and I remember just being stunned by the awesomeness of this song. I've been a Pink Floyd fan ever since.

Never cared much for The Cars, but Blackest Eyes and Us and Them are astounding songs.

I Shut Doors and Windows by September Malevolence was a miserable truth for me. Bugs by O'Death pulled me out of a nasty hole. The Wreck Is Not A Boat by Sons of Noel and Adrian solidified me. The Bishop by Battle of Mice taught me how to love my hate.

Edited by Poiyple Platypus

Close to the Edge - Yes

And You and I - Yes

Supper's Ready - Genesis

The Musical Box - Genesis

Back in NYC - Genesis

Sleepwalkers - Van Der Graaf

Scorched Earth - Van Der Graaf

Larks Tongues in Aspic part 1 - King Crimson

Cirkus - King Crimson

In the Presence of Enemies part 2 - Dream Theater

Inertiatic ESP - The Mars Volta

Roulette Dares - The Mars Volta

Edit - Gotta add Tarkus to this list.

Edited by CruisingInPrimetime

I was in 8th grade and my friend, who listened to actual good music (which I didn't and that's all I will say) played me Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida. My head aspolded! Man, the drum solos, the guitar solos, the heavy-ass bass.... like nothing I'd heard before! My musical tastes have never been the same - thank goodness!

Then, when I worked at Tower Records, I heard all kinds of stuff that opened my musical horizons even wider. Until, as many of you know, my Hubby-to-be and our roommate played me Hemispheres.... and Yes and Genesis and ELP and King Crimson.... and I was hooked on Prog! cool.gif

Edited by HowItIs

1. The Fountain of Lamneth- Rush: The song that brought me from a Rush-admirer to a full on Rush addict

2. The Last Baron- Mastodon: One of the most beautiful songs ever. If you haven't listened to it before, do it right now. And then listen to the entire album.

3. The Spirit Carries On- Dream Theater: Last summer, this song sparked my interest in a band that I now rank in my top 5 favorite artists.

4. Bob's Party Time Lounge- Primus: Primus was a band I didn't understand at all when I fist listened to them. When I found out they were playing at a local music festival, I decided to give them another shot because of their ties to Rush. My friend showed me this song just a while back. It includes all of Primus' songs normal elements: quirkiness, sexual references, and underlying darkness. I was hooked immediately.

5. Fearless- Pink Floyd: Had to include a Floyd song. While not the typical Floyd sound, this, to me, is one of their best. I really could have picked any song, but this is the first one that came to mind.

6. Return of the Giant Hogweed- Genesis: Epic. The end gives me chills every time. Also Hackett's tapping in the intro is revolutionary and not often recognized among non-Prog listeners.

7. Connection- The Rolling Stones: I don't care what other people say, it's their best. I'm pretty sure Keith's cited it as his favorite as well.

8. Cheap Day Return- Jethro Tull: Short but very sweet. One of the highlights of Aqualung.

9. Roundabout- Yes: Gorgeous song. Another one that gives me chills.

10. Anesthetize- Porcupine Tree: I didn't get it the first time I listened to it when I heard about Lerxst's guest appearance on this track. A few months later, it blew my mind.

QUOTE (greyfriar @ May 12 2012, 08:11 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ May 12 2012, 12:47 PM)

rofl3.gif

Whoops, epic typo. I wrote it (and this) through my PS3, didn't get a good chance to review it. I meant to say that the song hit me hard & made me listen to more Rush, eventually leading me here. I probably should have chosen a less crude explanation