AC/DC

I have a few concert regrets in life, as in bands/shows I didn't see when the chance existed and the chance is now gone. Number one is Floyd with Waters. Number two on my list is AC/DC with Bon. Number three is Queen.

With Floyd and AC/DC at least it was the fact that I never lived in a city they played at the time they did so, but with Queen I had the chance twice and just didn't appreciate then how talented and unique they were.

Bon had a natural level of charisma most performers only dream of.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to Back In Business from Fly on the Wall. I think this album could have been pretty big if it had a production treatment more like BiB or FTATR. Oh... releasing "Danger" as the first single didn't help things either.

Some pretty good songs.

QUOTE (goose @ May 4 2012, 09:59 AM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ May 3 2012, 02:29 PM)
QUOTE (greg2112 @ May 4 2012, 01:19 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ May 2 2012, 03:52 PM)
I think B.J made 1 Great album -Back In Black and 2 very good albums
For Those About To Rock and Black Ice. The rest is Shit .

For Those About to Rock is the last great AC/DC album. Actually enjoy it more now than BIB.

yes.gif FATR is the most underated album imo.

FTATR has great tone to it. Some very interesting guitar work as well. I listen to it more than BinB as well.

Highway to Hell, Back in Black and For Those... compares very well to the three-album run of PeWaves, MovPics and Signals. An amazing run of great music.

goodpost.gif

Not sure that Geddy is a fan. I remember reading an interview a long time ago where Geddy was played different tracks and was asked to give his opinion on them. They played him an AC/DC track and he said something like........I don't understand what the bass player is trying to do here.........or something like that. I still remember finding that funny.

Love all the Bon albums...My personal favourite is Let There Be Rock

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ May 3 2012, 11:28 AM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ May 3 2012, 02:39 AM)
Prefer the Brian Johnson stuff. That's when they hit their stride IMO. Back In Black trumps every AC/DC record ever made. It just does. Even though we may be burnt out on it like Moving Pictures it is AC/DC's Moving Pictures.

no.gif

2nded

Nothing from BinB or after comes close to TNT, Sin City, Girl's Got Rythm, Whole Lot Of Rosie, or Highway To Hell. smilies-8579.png

Love Bon-era DC, especially Powerage, but Rock 'N' Roll Damnation? The lyrics are fine (Bon's), but the rest of the track is shit.

I have the original UK release and R'n'R Damnation isn't on it, but it has the superior Cold Hearted Man instead.

The best track on the album is Down Payment Blues, or perhaps that's just a song about my life.

I appreciate the BJ-era, but it is patchy at best. BiB is an excellent album and Flick of the Switch is Powerage's bastard offspring.

"Bring on the dancin' girls n' put the champagne on ice"

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ May 6 2012, 02:53 AM)
QUOTE (fritz44 @ May 4 2012, 02:52 PM)
The best track on the album is Down Payment Blues

One of my absolute favorites yes.gif 1022.gif

"Can't even feed my cat...on social security" cat.gif smile.gif

Got myself a Cadillac, but I can't afford the gasoline. trink39.gif

I must admit that I also enjoy Flick Of The Switch and think it's a lot better than some fans think it is. It rocks hard, and it's more raw sounding than Back In Black and For Those About To Rock, which I personally believe is why it didn't really do as well as those two albums. Edited by bigman208

I think 'Flick' was produced by the band (Malcolm and Angus probably) with Tony Platt engineering, but I haven't checked. This would account for the basic nature, but Mutt Lange was always too slick for the band and my ears.

QUOTE (bigman208 @ May 8 2012, 04:40 AM)
I must admit that I also enjoy Flick Of The Switch and think it's a lot better than some fans think it is. It rocks hard, and it's more raw sounding than Back In Black and For Those About To Rock, which I personally believe is why it didn't really do as well as those two albums.

The songwriting suffered big-time from FotS onwards. Don't really think the production was an issue. They were always confined in a box but vital for so many years with Bon and a little with BJ. I guess it couldn't really last.

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ May 6 2012, 11:15 PM)
QUOTE (Silas Lang @ May 6 2012, 02:53 AM)
QUOTE (fritz44 @ May 4 2012, 02:52 PM)
The best track on the album is Down Payment Blues

One of my absolute favorites yes.gif 1022.gif

"Can't even feed my cat...on social security" cat.gif smile.gif

Got myself a Cadillac, but I can't afford the gasoline. trink39.gif

yes.gif

Sheriff knockin' on my door...ain't it funny how the time flies?

While I like the Bon era more overall, Back in Black is one of the best heavy rock albums ever created. It's loaded with great riffs that Johnson's vocal style matched perfectly. But I always think of what it would've been like lyrically and what kind of feel the songs would've had if Bon had been there instead of Brian.

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 2 2012, 03:52 PM)
I think B.J made 1 Great album -Back In Black and 2 very good albums
For Those About To Rock and Black Ice. The rest is Shit .

this x2 yes.gif

I love both era of AC/DC.

Blow Up Your Video, FotS, and Ballbreaker are all awesome BJ releases. Stiff Upper Lip was okay, but a bit TOO bluesy. I'm glad they got harder edged on Black Ice.

Bon Scott Era has the majority rule though, LTBR, Powerage, DDDDC, TNT. Those Four albums. Many spins on my record player.

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 2 2012, 04:30 PM)
People do bitch about AC/DC being too simple, too repetitive but I don't see it, they came up with great songs, great riffs in those peak years in the 70s and early 80s.

1022.gif

correct. to contend theyre simple is pure musical ignorance.

QUOTE (Steevo @ May 7 2012, 06:57 PM)
QUOTE (bigman208 @ May 8 2012, 04:40 AM)
I must admit that I also enjoy Flick Of The Switch and think it's a lot better than some fans think it is. It rocks hard, and it's more raw sounding than Back In Black and For Those About To Rock, which I personally believe is why it didn't really do as well as those two albums.

The songwriting suffered big-time from FotS onwards. Don't really think the production was an issue. They were always confined in a box but vital for so many years with Bon and a little with BJ. I guess it couldn't really last.

You're right. The album has a nice, raw, sound, but the songwriting is poor. outside of guns for hire I never listen to it.