9 songs of CA for the next tour?

gup84

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 songs of CA for the next tour?

no.gif They did 9 off S&A for that tour and it was too much.

Bad idea. It might sound good in theory, but five in a row from S&A was too much back in '07 and '08 (it was a crowd killer at both of the shows I went to and apparently many others as well). I say, keep it to 5-6 songs total, and space them out..2 or 3 in the first set, and 2 or 2 in the second set.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Apr 21 2012, 09:46 PM)
I hope they do the entire album. That and all of Signals. Drop The Spirit of Radio, Tom Sawyer and Limelight.

If Rush was anything like the cult band they were made out to be they'd be doing stuff like this during this age, and it would be great.

Also:

Add Time Stand Still and Closer to the Heart to that "Don't play" list*

Edited by Ovningskora

I would be perfectly happy with the entire new album. Why not?

I've seen the band so many times, it's all kind of like gravy now really. they have played all of my "dream songs" live recently (Presto, Entre Neus, Circumstances, Camera Eye) - so I really don't mind seeing them perform new material - and so far, Clockwork Angels is shaping up to be anything but boring.

It would be cool to have the entire "Fear" set in order, though. Yeah, we've had Witch Hunt the last two tours - but it's a great live song - and we would get two songs that haven't been played in decades, and one that has never been played at all.

I'll have my people call their people wink.gif

I hope they play all of it.

Yes, the harsh reality is that their resurgence in popularity has more to do with old-school fan nostalgia than new music. I thought Far Cry deserved more radio play than it got, and I expect Headlong Flight also won't get as much radio play as it should.

But screw it. I say focus on the old stuff during the nostalgia tours (R30 and Time Machine) and go whole hog playing the new albums during the supportive tours. It'll be more fulfilling for them, and frankly I'd respect them more.

Nine songs from S&A I thought was a selfish move on the band's part. It must have sucked for them to see, show after show, fans yawning and checking their watches during the first five songs of the second set.

If they do that again, I'd be severely disappointed. Stick to what they did on Vapor Trails and play only four songs and bring back more classics. It was a much better balanced setlist.

QUOTE (chrisw25 @ Apr 22 2012, 08:18 AM)
Nine songs from S&A I thought was a selfish move on the band's part. It must have sucked for them to see, show after show, fans yawning and checking their watches during the first five songs of the second set.

If they do that again, I'd be severely disappointed. Stick to what they did on Vapor Trails and play only four songs and bring back more classics. It was a much better balanced setlist.

incredibly selfish. they were so enthused to play all the s & a tunes night after night but not too many people were awake for it.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 22 2012, 08:23 AM)
QUOTE (chrisw25 @ Apr 22 2012, 08:18 AM)
Nine songs from S&A I thought was a selfish move on the band's part.  It must have sucked for them to see, show after show, fans yawning and checking their watches during the first five songs of the second set.

If they do that again, I'd be severely disappointed.  Stick to what they did on Vapor Trails and play only four songs and bring back more classics.  It was a much better balanced setlist.

incredibly selfish. they were so enthused to play all the s & a tunes night after night but not too many people were awake for it.

This obviously a sarcastic comment made me laugh. Then I noticed it was posted by ReflectedLight, and I realized it was in earnest.

That they only played 4 new songs each night of the VT tour (and only 5 new songs total) was disappointing, but understandable since it was a comeback tour and VT had been a difficult record for them. I was pleased as punch that they played 9 new songs on the SnA tour.

The more songs off Clockwork Angels, the better. Particularly based on what we have heard so far. Big difference between 9 songs off S&A and 9 songs off CA, as CA is looking to absolutely blow away S&A.

Besides, this might be our only shot to hear them. Who knows what the future holds

Edited by LeaveMyThingAlone

How can you say drop Limelight, CTTH, Tom Sawyer, YYZ, Freewill, Spirit of the Radio, etc..?

This is what the band has to do to engage the casual fan.. the fans we don't see on this forum. To say that they should drop those songs would be a particularly boring concert for the casual fan.

I saw Jimmy Buffett on Thursday night (i've never been to a show, and I really only know the classics) and I can tell you that hearing Cheeseburger in Paradise and Margaritaville was really cool, but I didn't know many of the other songs he played.

You all have to realize that while Rush has an intense fanbase (us), they have a not so intense fan base that doesn't know the likes of "Jacob's Ladder" or "Losing It" and the band has to do what they can to make the show interesting for the people who go just because they know who Rush is. And it's most likely people have have maybe been once or twice, but just heard an ad on the radio and said, "Hey, that might be a cool show to go to," and wha-la, you've engaged the casual fan, now you have to better the experience for them.

They throw in the songs like "Marathon" and "Presto" for us intense fans, so we can go nuts when we hear songs we'd never think they'd play live, while the casual fans kinda listen, but don't know the songs at all. And plus, i'll bet 95% of you all that don't want to hear Limelight again rock out to it on the tour because "dude, it's f*cking Rush!" smile.gif

Don't be selfish, fans. Realize what the band has to do for all of it audience.

If the entire album is conceptual (and I think there is still a chance that Wish Them Well and The Garden are unrelated) and if the quality of the album is consistent with what we've heard so far, I'd love to hear the entire thing. But I kinda doubt it.

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Apr 22 2012, 10:29 AM)
How can you say drop Limelight, CTTH, Tom Sawyer, YYZ, Freewill, Spirit of the Radio, etc..?

This is what the band has to do to engage the casual fan.. the fans we don't see on this forum. To say that they should drop those songs would be a particularly boring concert for the casual fan.

I saw Jimmy Buffett on Thursday night (i've never been to a show, and I really only know the classics) and I can tell you that hearing Cheeseburger in Paradise and Margaritaville was really cool, but I didn't know many of the other songs he played.

You all have to realize that while Rush has an intense fanbase (us), they have a not so intense fan base that doesn't know the likes of "Jacob's Ladder" or "Losing It" and the band has to do what they can to make the show interesting for the people who go just because they know who Rush is. And it's most likely people have have maybe been once or twice, but just heard an ad on the radio and said, "Hey, that might be a cool show to go to," and wha-la, you've engaged the casual fan, now you have to better the experience for them.

They throw in the songs like "Marathon" and "Presto" for us intense fans, so we can go nuts when we hear songs we'd never think they'd play live, while the casual fans kinda listen, but don't know the songs at all. And plus, i'll bet 95% of you all that don't want to hear Limelight again rock out to it on the tour because "dude, it's f*cking Rush!" smile.gif

Don't be selfish, fans. Realize what the band has to do for all of it audience.

Rush does not always play all their "classics". They retired Closer To The Heart for several years. They didn't play 2112 during the first leg of the Snakes And Arrows Tour. They don't always play Working Man, Red Barchetta, or Subdivisions. I'd say that there are only five songs that the band plays every show - the Big Five = Tom Sawyer, Limelight, YYZ, The Spirit of Radio, and Freewill. They could easily play all of Clockwork Angels and still play the Big Five and several other songs. They played all of Moving Pictures and still had a great show - with songs from their entire career.

IMO, the band does not "need" to play certain songs.....not at this point in their career. They will most probably always play Tom Sawyer and Spirit Of Radio, but if they decide to drop them for a tour, then I won't complain. It's their Show; they'll play what they want to play. Many bands dump classic songs in favor of new songs. Some bands, like Iron Maiden, devote their shows to entire albums from their catalogue. Bob Marley would dump all his classic hits, and when asked about it, he said, "We play what we want." new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

As for the "casual fan".....F*U*C*K him. sarcasm.gif I don't give a rat's ass about some dork who knows only 3-4 Rush songs and goes just to hear those songs, or goes because he just wants something to do that night.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Apr 22 2012, 09:20 AM)
Why do you think songs like TSOR, Freewill, the first side of MP, Subdivisions, Working Man, Overture/TOS, and CTTH are never dropped?

FYI:

• TSOR: Not played for first third of the Presto tour
  • Freewill: Not played on GUP, PoW, HYF, CP tours
  • First side of MP: Red Barchetta not played for PoW, HYF, CP, VT tours, or part of SnA tour; YYZ dropped for the RTB tour; Limelight dropped for GuP, Presto tours and part of T4E tour
  • Subdivisions: Not played on CP or VT tours, dropped for parts of the RTB and T4E tours
  • Working Man: Not played for twenty years until the VT tour, not played on SnA tour.
  • Overture/TOS: Not played on CP tour or 1st half of SnA tour
  • CTTH: Not played for SnA tour or for most of VT tour
Actual list of classics never dropped:
  • Tom Sawyer
Classic played on every tour, but not every night:
  • TSOR

If the album was Great ? Maybe , but i really think a whole new album is a bit much . The S&A tour killed me laugh.gif