2112 connection

lifeson90

ok so obviously the CA clock makes reference to 2112 but why?

i'm sure Neil or anyone else didnt just say oh well we got a clock and we made an album called 2112 so hey i got a goofy idea let's make the time on the clock 9:12pm yeah?

i mean clockwork angels is a new work in itself and if there isnt a reasonably strong conceptual connection to a previous album then why hint at one?

of course they might have just needed a time for the clock hands to point to and every other time seemed pointless so at least 9:12 has some kind of rush connection, but.....

what if there happens to be an actual conceptual connection between the album 2112 and clockwork angels?...... like maybe CA is a kind of rehashing and basically a modern retelling of 2112?

for instance maybe this watchmaker character is father brown in the temples of syrinx? i'm just curious as to why they would use this time if the only connection is it was the title of a previous album, seems lazy to me.

Edited by lifeson90

I'm hoping it's just a callback to a previous album. It wouldn't be the first time elements of a previous album have made it onto a new work.

I will be supremely disappointed if it's a retelling of 2112. The story of 2112 is retarded to begin with, and doing a retelling of it would just show the world that the band is completely out of ideas.

It's just an in-joke, coinciding with 2012 -- they've made past references to themselves before (as daniel pointed out) - like the inside of the HYF CD for instance. And they put the starman on the cover of MP.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 13 2012, 06:37 PM)
I'm hoping it's just a callback to a previous album. It wouldn't be the first time elements of a previous album have made it onto a new work.

I will be supremely disappointed if it's a retelling of 2112. The story of 2112 is retarded to begin with, and doing a retelling of it would just show the world that the band is completely out of ideas.

I agree with the first part. I think putting the clock hands at 9:12/21:12 is just a cool thing to do -- because they're Rush, and because they can. It doesn't have to have a deeper meaning than that.

I disagree with the second part. Especially when you consider that the "individual against authority" story of "2112" is what connected the band with fans and catapulted the band's career. It's not a complex or deep story idea, but to call it "retarded" (which is a crappy word to use anyway) seems a little shortsighted to me.

• Like 1

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 13 2012, 06:11 PM)

I agree with the first part. I think putting the clock hands at 9:12/21:12 is just a cool thing to do -- because they're Rush, and because they can. It doesn't have to have a deeper meaning than that.

I disagree with the second part. Especially when you consider that the "individual against authority" story of "2112" is what connected the band with fans and catapulted the band's career. It's not a complex or deep story idea, but to call it "retarded" (which is a crappy word to use anyway) seems a little shortsighted to me.

yes.gif

I figured it was a simple way of saying, "hey, we're back to doing a concept album". I would really, really hope they wouldn't 'pick up where it left off'...especially since the 'ole life blood spilled over...

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 13 2012, 05:37 PM)
The story of 2112 is retarded

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lolzdccvfk1qgq82d.gif

Run that by me again..

Edited by Gilbertk

QUOTE (lifeson90 @ Apr 13 2012, 05:35 PM)
ok so obviously the CA clock makes reference to 2112 but why?

i'm sure Neil or anyone else didnt just say oh well we got a clock and we made an album called 2112 so hey i got a goofy idea let's make the time on the clock 9:12pm yeah?

i mean clockwork angels is a new work in itself and if there isnt a reasonably strong conceptual connection to a previous album then why hint at one?

of course they might have just need a time for the clock hands to point to and every other time seemed pointless so at least 9:12 has some kind of rush connection, but.....

what if there happens to be an actual conceptual connection between the album 2112 and clockwork angels?...... like maybe CA is a kind of rehashing and basically a modern retelling of 2112?

for instance maybe this watchmaker character is father brown in the temples of syrinx? i'm just curious as to why they would use this time if the only connection is it was the title of a previous album, seems lazy to me.

Perhaps it's a prequel to 2112. The young boy is the protagonist and the Watchmaker is the founder of the Syrinx group. The boy goes to the city looking for excitement and a new future but sadly realizes that his dreams are to be crushed by the Priests and their complete control over all creativity. He does manage to occasionally escape to his uncle's farm where he is able to drive an old car. One day he is out for a drive and notices a cave just off the road.......

The story of 2112 is retarded to begin with

I like to hear your explanation about this.

And since you think 2112 is "retarded" I'd like to hear an "intelligent" idea for a concept album/song from you, since you're so far advanced at story-telling and in comparison to your genius RUSH have obviously been bereft of ideas their whole career.

Don't let your talents go to waste, get an agent!

tongue.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 13 2012, 05:11 PM)

That's not the story, that's the theme. The story is a guy finding a guitar and taking it to the priests, only to be told it doesn't fit the plan. He then does what any rational person would do and commits suicide. The story is weak, and I'll concede that 'retarded' might have been a little harsh. I'm not contesting its place in Rush history or its status as their breakthrough album, I'm only putting down the story.

But I will still be disappointed beyond my ability to express it if they simply do a retelling of 2112. Even if the original had been the greatest story ever told, going back and doing a remake for what might very well be their final album would be beyond lame.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 13 2012, 06:36 PM)

And since you think 2112 is "retarded" I'd like to hear an "intelligent" idea for a concept album/song from you, since you're so far advanced at story-telling and in comparison to your genius RUSH have obviously been bereft of ideas their whole career.

tongue.gif

Way to blow it out of proportion, ducks.

See my last post for an explanation.

I don't need to be an award winning writer to know a bad story when I hear or read it. It's my opinion and I'll be damned if I'm going to change it just because other people disagree. The story is weak. Full stop.

Think 2112 is becoming more relevant as time goes on. All art, music and film is being regulated by boards of judges and vox populi as in reality television.You only have to look at all the crass talnet shows.Simon Cowell is the high priest of the Syrinx temple.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 13 2012, 07:41 PM)

That's not the story, that's the theme. The story is a guy finding a guitar and taking it to the priests, only to be told it doesn't fit the plan. He then does what any rational person would do and commits suicide. The story is weak, and I'll concede that 'retarded' might have been a little harsh. I'm not contesting its place in Rush history or its status as their breakthrough album, I'm only putting down the story.

But I will still be disappointed beyond my ability to express it if they simply do a retelling of 2112. Even if the original had been the greatest story ever told, going back and doing a remake for what might very well be their final album would be beyond lame.

You obviously don't understand the bleakness of the situation the character is in. Anyone could commit suicide at any time, seemingly rational people do it every day, some of them with apparently everything to live for.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 13 2012, 07:44 PM)

tongue.gif

I don't need to be an award winning writer to know a bad story when I hear or read it. It's my opinion and I'll be damned if I'm going to change it just because other people disagree. The story is weak. Full stop.

The message is simple: if you take my music away, then baby I don't want to live!! 1022.gif

In my opinion it's GOOD!

And more importantly IT ROCKS!

1022.gif

If the people who pre-ordered the fan pack get their name on the poster, it is not outside the realm of possibility that the CDs could have been personalized with the time the purchaser wanted.

Rush may have missed out on another $5 to $15 in upcharge for that privilege.

Picking the time would have made me happy.

When was the last time Rush made me happy? Oh yeah, The Time Machine tour, their music makes me happy.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 13 2012, 08:44 PM)

tongue.gif

Speaking of blowing it out of proportion... biggrin.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 13 2012, 08:41 PM)

He doesn't commit suicide because the priests destroy his guitar. He kills himself because he sees what life could be like, then realizes he will never attain freedom. Then he slowly spirals through depression.

confused13.gif Listened to Oracle: The Dream lately?