2112 connection

lifeson90

QUOTE (GeddyLeeFender @ Apr 15 2012, 04:20 PM)
2112 is F'ing awesome lyrically and musically, are people on this forum even Rush fans anymore? Half this forum has turned into arguments between members and that is what I think is "Retarted"

I don't see anything worth questioning loyalty to the band in this thread. Rush isn't a perfect band, 2112 isn't a perfect song, and even they have demonstrated regrets at some of the things they've done and written.

And honestly, from hearing Neil talk my guess is that Rush fans out a lot more emphasis on his lyrics than he does.

It is completely possible to dislike an element of a piece of art and still embrace the work as a whole. Heck, I have to do this with 90% of the music I listen to based on lyrics alone.

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Apr 15 2012, 07:47 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyLeeFender @ Apr 15 2012, 04:20 PM)
2112 is F'ing awesome lyrically and musically, are people on this forum even Rush fans anymore? Half this forum has turned into arguments between members and that is what I think is "Retarted"

I don't see anything worth questioning loyalty to the band in this thread. Rush isn't a perfect band, 2112 isn't a perfect song, and even they have demonstrated regrets at some of the things they've done and written.

And honestly, from hearing Neil talk my guess is that Rush fans out a lot more emphasis on his lyrics than he does.

It is completely possible to dislike an element of a piece of art and still embrace the work as a whole. Heck, I have to do this with 90% of the music I listen to based on lyrics alone.

I actually don't really call a lot of songs perfect, but personally, I think 2112 is a perfect song. But that's me.

I don't know if this was mentioned, but if done right, something I think could actually be cool is reprising musical parts of 2112, if this does in fact have some sort of connection to that album due to the album cover.

Not entire sections, but maybe recognizable variations of parts of 2112. I think that could be pretty cool, but it has to be done right for it to not seem so forced. They really need to fit in with the songs they're in and not feel just lazily thrown in there, like the rest of the song needs to flow with them.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 14 2012, 09:49 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 13 2012, 07:41 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 13 2012, 05:11 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 13 2012, 06:37 PM)
I'm hoping it's just a callback to a previous album. It wouldn't be the first time elements of a previous album have made it onto a new work.

I will be supremely disappointed if it's a retelling of 2112. The story of 2112 is retarded to begin with, and doing a retelling of it would just show the world that the band is completely out of ideas.

I agree with the first part. I think putting the clock hands at 9:12/21:12 is just a cool thing to do -- because they're Rush, and because they can. It doesn't have to have a deeper meaning than that.

I disagree with the second part. Especially when you consider that the "individual against authority" story of "2112" is what connected the band with fans and catapulted the band's career. It's not a complex or deep story idea, but to call it "retarded" (which is a crappy word to use anyway) seems a little shortsighted to me.

That's not the story, that's the theme. The story is a guy finding a guitar and taking it to the priests, only to be told it doesn't fit the plan. He then does what any rational person would do and commits suicide. The story is weak, and I'll concede that 'retarded' might have been a little harsh. I'm not contesting its place in Rush history or its status as their breakthrough album, I'm only putting down the story.

But I will still be disappointed beyond my ability to express it if they simply do a retelling of 2112. Even if the original had been the greatest story ever told, going back and doing a remake for what might very well be their final album would be beyond lame.

You obviously don't understand the bleakness of the situation the character is in. Anyone could commit suicide at any time, seemingly rational people do it every day, some of them with apparently everything to live for.

He's just upset because Hawkeye doesn't bang Mockingbird in it. trink38.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 15 2012, 08:47 AM)
QUOTE (lifeson90 @ Apr 15 2012, 08:15 AM)
hey losingit2k

thats a very nice find  smile.gif  whether coincidental or not

Thanks GilbertK not ne! I'm just the messanger!

trink39.gif

Awww shucks! trink39.gif

The clock is a symbol as the star of 2112

The whirlwind is nature as the sky and water of 2112

The red cover in my opinion is more 2112sh than any other Rush cover design, including CA artwork as the HF cover...