Rate Presto

Gompers

How do you rate Presto?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Presto?

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 16 2012, 07:21 AM)
Red Tide is underrated

yes.gif This, Chain Lightning and Available Light are my faves. Anagram, Presto, The Pass, Show Don't Tell and Hand Over Fist are all very good. I give it a 7, second to last on my list.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2/3rds of the forum scores it 7 or higher... what happened to the EVERYONE HATES IT!!! "fact" that some people call truth? Clearly, not everyone hates it.

I scored it 10. It was my first experience with Rush and it gets a two point boost for that alone.

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Apr 16 2012, 03:22 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 16 2012, 02:54 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 16 2012, 08:21 AM)
Red Tide is underrated

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif trink39.gif 1022.gif

goodpost.gif

Heck, the entire album is generally underrated.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/smilies/plusone2.gif

Clearly, everyone does NOT hate Presto. no.gif

QUOTE (Steely Caress @ Apr 20 2012, 01:32 AM)
6. Some good moments. Thin production. Some seriously forgettable filler. Mixed bag for me.
Is the Cd remastered version fuller sounding than the original?

Haven't popped it in in a while but I do remember the low end being much more prominent. The thin production never really bothered me too much. It's nice to have a change of pace sometimes.

Gave it a 10. Absolutely love it.

The vinyl version should be tracked down, as the dynamics seem better than the very thin remastered cd version.

The title track is probably my favourite Rush tune.

I love listening to Show Don't Tell. The intro is a real showcase for introducing new people to how well the guys can play.

The Pass is a rollercoaster, emotionally and musically.

Everything in between compliments the album really well. I always take myself back to the late 80s, with all the terrible music around, especially in the UK, and think how modern and contemporary it must have sounded.

For me, I think the productions suits the material very well. I'd like to hear heavier versions of the songs, but I think I would still prefer the originals. To quote Grandpa Simpson "It was the style at the time"

This album was the first album that actually had a song that I did not like. That being said, I still gave it a 7.

Show Don't Tell is the last of the melody bass figures from Ged, a fantastic song.

The Pass, Available Light, Red Tide, Chain Lightning, and Presto are great songs.

War Paint, Hand over Fist, and Scars are good songs.

Anagram is ok...it is not as bad for me as others seem to think.

There are three reasons that I rated this a 7 and not higher. They are:

Superconductor

Superconductor

Superconductor

I just never liked that song...

On a barely-related note, War Paint is climbing fast in my rank of songs.

It's nice and melodic, and the lyrics are some of my favorite from the period.

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Apr 30 2012, 07:22 PM)
QUOTE (IChoseFreeWill @ Apr 20 2012, 04:17 PM)

Probably the most underrated Rush album of all.

yes.gif

goodpost.gif

Totally agree.

yes.gif

I gave it an 8 as well. Nobody ever appreciates Presto. Hell, I even enjoyed Superconductor for a while until that song just got... old. And Rush songs typically do not get old with me.

7 for me. Some good songs, good lyrics on many, but a thin production, low bass, and some awful lyrics on some of the songs hurt it. Start to finish, it's a good, pleasurable listen, but it seems to me that with a fuller, more powerful sounding production, it could have been one of the greater albums of the 80s, possibly even better than Hold Your Fire. The songs on the whole are good with some groovy melodies and some real emotional sounding music and lyrics, but the bad songs are BAD - horrible, meandering music with some subpar lyrics that make me cringe. Overall, a good album hurt by one or two AWFUL songs and a thin, non-powerful production that other Rush albums contain.

Show Don't Tell (8/10)

-Wicked opener with a solid bass punch. The lyrics are a little childish and silly, but a good, solid-sounding album opener that opens it with a promising punch of hard rock.

Chain Lightning (8.5/10)

-Underrated Rush song. Some very real, poetic, musical lyrics with a really groovy, catchy chorus. An overall solid song with great groove and lyrics

The Pass (7/10)

-Meh. It's a little overrated with a bit of an after-school-special feeling to the lyrics pertaining to suicide and the notion of nobility. A little slow for me as well. It sounds like Rush trying to be overly emotional, and it doesn't work.

War Paint (2/10)

-Awful, awful, awful song. Some really sloppy writing and a subpar message that seems rather young in contrast to the other, more experienced-at-life sounding lyrics of the others.

Scars (6.5/10)

-Meh. It's...different. This is Rush trying their hands at all possible modes of music, and this is their experimentation into African music. It works for experimentation and the hunt for a new sound, and it sounds pretty good. The lyrics, again, are kind of silly and lack a meaningful message. It works for a different sound, so I guess it's up to individual taste to rate this one.

Presto (9/10)

-BEST song on the album. Fantastic, poetic lyrics and some fantastic music. It's the most progressive song on the album, and the songwriting is at its best for the album. It's more unlike a pop song like others on the album and more like usual Rush, experimental and progressive. Great song, and one of the better Rush songs from the 90s period.

Superconductor (7.5/10)

-Kind of a silly song, but it's fun and danceable. The message is kind of silly and the lyrics seem to go for silliness rather than seriousness, but the music is really upbeat and kicking, and you can't help but dance to it. A meaningless song, but it's sure as hell fun.

Anagram for Mongo (7/10)

-I have no idea what this song is about, as the lyrics are really sloppy and seem to lack focus. The chorus is really catchy, though, and it has one of the catchiest, most well-written choruses on the album and throughout Rush history, in my opinion.

Red Tide (6.5/10)

-A good, hard rocking album, but again, the lyrics are silly. It acts more like an apocalyptic song, and as a result, doesn't seem to fit the more upbeat, happy sounding lyrics of the rest of the album. The synthesizers date the song and make it seem like a really cheesy 80s song straight out of a Duran Duran album. Cheesy, but one of the more hard rocking songs on the album.

Hand Over Fist (1/10)

-Good. God. This song sucks. Horrible music with no hook or melody, and the lyrics are terrible. The metaphor of rock, paper, scissors and the message of holding strangers' hands in unity and happiness is extremely cheesy, probably the cheesiest Rush has ever gotten.

Available Light (7/10)

-Nothing special. It lacks any melody or hook, and the music is not memorable. The lyrics, again, are cheesy, but the fact that its predecessor has the worst lyrics on the album give this one a pass, making it seem less so, and as a result, more memorable. It's a good song, but it's not memorable, and can easily be forgotten after the immediate listen of the album.

Presto and Anagram are two of my favorite songs.

Presto lyrics are beautiful, although the rendition on the Time Machine Tour dvd is better in that it has a much fuller sound then the album version.

Anagram- not exactly sure what Neil is going on about, there are some rather obtuse references in it don't know, hmmm . confused13.gif . But the tune is so nice it doesn't really matter.

Good choice when in the mood for a little Rush Lite. Usually have to put the Necromancer or something similar on afterwards though.

QUOTE (Animate @ Apr 30 2012, 10:32 PM)
Good choice when in the mood for a little Rush Lite.

Ha, "Rush Lite" is a good way to describe Presto. laugh.gif

Show Don't Tell, 3/5, .6

Chain Lightning, 4/5, .8

The Pass, 5/5, 1

War Paint, 2/5, .4

Scars, 2/5, .4

Presto, 2/5, .4

Superconductor, 3/5, .6

Anagram, 4/5, .8

Red Tide, 4/5, .8

Hand Over Fist, 4/5, .8

Available Light, 3/5, .6

65%

A solid outing but not in my top 5. Although, the songs I do enjoy, are some of my favorite Rush tunes, period.

Presto, Show Don't Tell, The Pass. The Pass, in particular, I believe is one of the most powerful songs, lyrically, ever.

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Apr 12 2012, 09:04 AM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Apr 12 2012, 05:56 AM)

The only issue I have with the album was the production, as the music could've used a little more punch to it. Otherwise I enjoy the whole album whenever I listen to it.

Exactly.

yep...i don't even mind the production that much...i love this album