Clockwork Angels Album Cover

Joesaracer

QUOTE (anchorman @ Apr 3 2012, 10:40 AM)
I'm calling bullshit. Great effort though.

1. No Rush or CD title on the cover. Clock hands are trying to imply 9:12 pm in military time which would be 21:12. However the artist messed up and switched the hour and minute hands. With the error, it reads as 2:45.

2. Tourbook cover - Just not buying it. They wouldn't play signals in its entirety and that's what's being implied. Perhaps its meant as a message to the band.

3. Perhaps I'm full of spit and don't know what I'm talking about.

4. Quit F*cking around and release Headlong Flight. Just a little irritated.

Nailed it. No way this is the real cover.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 3 2012, 12:44 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 3 2012, 10:34 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 3 2012, 12:32 PM)
QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Apr 3 2012, 10:28 AM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Apr 3 2012, 12:11 PM)
here's the latest from RIAB

http://www.rushisaband.com/images/201204/2250.f.jpg

Trenken's gonna love all that bevel.

It's a retarded cover. Just ridiculous. And I ain't buyin' it. It might have come from "a trusted source" but I refuse to believe that's the final art until I see it on Rush.com. The list of things wrong, or at least unprofessional, about it is pretty friggin' long.

You're kidding right? eh.gif

What is wrong with it? I love it.

The colours are great...the simplicity is great.

I dunno...I love it. If it's the one, I'm happy. yes.gif

It's amateurish.

laugh.gif

I'm not trying to get in a spat with you...but all I hear is, "amateur" for everything.

Can someone please design something better?

I know I can't...I think it looks fine. Simple...and effective. But I'm not an artist.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 3 2012, 11:28 AM)
QUOTE (Czarcasm @ Apr 3 2012, 12:27 PM)
QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Apr 3 2012, 11:18 AM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Apr 3 2012, 06:13 PM)
and the possible tour book cover? what does this imply?

http://www.rushisaband.com/images/201204/2251.f.jpg

Looks like there will be a remaster of Signals... tongue.gif

...Or it means they'll play the entirety of Signals in concert to commemorate it's 30th anniversary? They did the same thing with Moving Pictures on the last tour.

If so, I'm pretty pumped.

Speculation of Signals being played in FULL perhaps?! cool.gif

Signals in it's entirety...LIVE? I'd be up for that! yes.gif

Only speculation, of course...

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 3 2012, 06:32 PM)

It's a retarded cover. Just ridiculous. And I ain't buyin' it. It might have come from "a trusted source" but I refuse to believe that's the final art until I see it on Rush.com. The list of things wrong, or at least unprofessional, about it is pretty friggin' long.

Actually, this could be the outer cover of a digipak cd box. Looks like a kind of prelude to the actual cover.

Ed is doing his best.

Given the information he was shown he came to some very valid conclusions.

One thing I didnt notice when I first saw the images he posted was that the red "cover" image is titled

"Clockwork.Angels.COVER.7"

While I am less sure this is a cover piece as we would think I do believe it's going to show up somewhere in the packaging. Perhaps a back cover to the booklet or a CD tray liner?

The one thing I do know is that the source for these images is VERY solid.

And no, I wont reveal the source... yet.

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Apr 3 2012, 10:51 AM)

Actually, this could be the outer cover of a digipak cd box. Looks like a kind of prelude to the actual cover.

You might be onto something there. Outer covers like that often only incorporate a few basic elements. I could absolutely see this being used that way... though I'm still not fully convinced if only because of the bevels on the symbols. It looks to me, and someone like trenken can probably weigh in, it looks like someone took the symbols from the Caravan artwork, overlaid them with a generic texture and applied a bevel. The problem with this is that putting a bevel on something creates a light source, indirectly. The reason the beveled side is lighter is because light is hitting it differently - but if the bevel isn't adjusted on a per-symbol basis, it looks like each one has its own light source. Instead of having a global source of light, it's like there's a little tiny light illuminating each symbol... which doesn't make much sense in this context.

It might be a minor thing... but it's enough to make me think that this might not be official art to be used on a release. But I could be wrong. Those bevels just really bother me.

QUOTE (Snaked @ Apr 3 2012, 11:55 AM)
While I am less sure this is a cover piece as we would think I do believe it's going to show up somewhere in the packaging. Perhaps a back cover to the booklet or a CD tray liner?

Maybe it's the one sheet on the Headlong Flight page of the booklet.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 3 2012, 12:00 PM)

You might be onto something there. Outer covers like that often only incorporate a few basic elements. I could absolutely see this being used that way... though I'm still not fully convinced if only because of the bevels on the symbols. It looks to me, and someone like trenken can probably weigh in, it looks like someone took the symbols from the Caravan artwork, overlaid them with a generic texture and applied a bevel. The problem with this is that putting a bevel on something creates a light source, indirectly. The reason the beveled side is lighter is because light is hitting it differently - but if the bevel isn't adjusted on a per-symbol basis, it looks like each one has its own light source. Instead of having a global source of light, it's like there's a little tiny light illuminating each symbol... which doesn't make much sense in this context.

It might be a minor thing... but it's enough to make me think that this might not be official art to be used on a release. But I could be wrong. Those bevels just really bother me.

You're being kind. The time is still wrong.

QUOTE (anchorman @ Apr 3 2012, 11:12 AM)
You're being kind.  The time is still wrong.

no the time is right. big hand on 21 small hand on 12

QUOTE (anchorman @ Apr 3 2012, 01:12 PM)

The time isn't wrong.

Look closely. The 9 is a trident. The hand on the clock next to the trident blends in with the trident to make it look longer. It appears as a near illusion.

Correct me if I am wrong, but do classic clocks have a fancier hour hand than minute hand to ease confusion?

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Apr 3 2012, 05:11 PM)

LOVE this one too!

QUOTE (Joesaracer @ Apr 3 2012, 01:16 PM)

The time isn't wrong.

Look closely. The 9 is a trident. The hand on the clock next to the trident blends in with the trident to make it look longer. It appears as a near illusion.

Correct me if I am wrong, but do classic clocks have a fancier hour hand than minute hand to ease confusion?

The hands look the same length to me. It could easily be representing 9:12. The other little nubby thing isn't part of the hand pointing at 9, it's the second hand pointing at 3. Many Rush covers have "3" images.

QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Apr 3 2012, 02:04 PM)

The time isn't wrong.

The hands look the same length to me. It could easily be representing 9:12. The other little nubby thing isn't part of the hand pointing at 9, it's the second hand pointing at 3. Many Rush covers have "3" images.

This looks too good to be fake. I mean, who would do that? To use their precious time and try to fool us Rush Fanbois? laugh.gif

QUOTE (Snowman @ Apr 3 2012, 01:27 PM)
QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Apr 3 2012, 02:04 PM)

The time isn't wrong.

This looks too good to be fake. I mean, who would do that? To use their precious time and try to fool us Rush Fanbois? laugh.gif

I could. I wouldn't take the time, but I could create that image pretty easily using some pretty basic techniques actually. And I'm not saying that like "oh, I'm so awesome" or whatever, I'm just saying, it's not complicated in the least.

Cloud filter, adjustment layer for the red tint, slap down the symbols from the Caravan art, apply a generic texture, add a bevel, then either draw in, or more likely paste in, some old-timey clock hands. Add texture, bevel, and you're done.

Geddy, Alex and Neil are probably lurking this forum right now and laughing their asses off.

It's like a shark feeding frenzy in here! laugh.gif

By the way, I'm excited too! These final weeks leading up to a new release are the best!

Cue Carly Simon.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 3 2012, 09:32 AM)

I sincerely hope this isn't the cover - the one color with the swirling clouds in the background - kinda boring IMHO.

Then again, I care 8,000 times more about the music being awesome than I do about the cover being awesome.