What Roadrunner Is Doing and Clockwork Angels

farcryoverspilledmilk

Thanks for this great post. Although I suspected that the silence was part of some sort of hype train that they were going to explode right before the tour, this filled in a lot of blanks and corrected some misconceptions.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Apr 1 2012, 09:23 AM)
I still love how so many people think that Rush THEMSELVES, are the ones keeping the new album and single all "hush hush"...like Geddy, Alex, and Neil are all sitting together right now, in some fancy restaurant, going, "Lets see how crazy and impatient we can make our fans! Wouldn't that be f**king HILARIOUS!?!?!?! ROFL!!!! rofl3.gif "

sarcasm.gif

It's ROADRUNNER. Roadrunner, folks...

I think most people figured its Roadrunner but it's Rush's music and it's natural to vent on the guy's.

besides, why do you think Rush isn't above marketing ploys if it means creating a buzz about their album??

I'm guessing you're young, maybe grow up a little before you come on here and laugh at everyone.. sarcasm.gif

As a student in business school, I have insight into how complicated the relations must be between the band, the label, promoters, etc. I think everyone knows how manipulative marketing can be on consumers. So the hype makes sense in that way.

What's with all the Radiohead hate? confused13.gif They are one of my favorite bands along with Rush and deserve some respect

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 1 2012, 10:07 AM)
I dont read posts like this. I know a guy who knows a guy who heard the album. Ok.

Well, it's a bit different in that this case he IS the guy. It's not fifth-hand information.

Besides, he really didn't give anything away; just explained the marketing strategy and posted his opinion of what he heard.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Apr 1 2012, 08:52 AM)
QUOTE (the_necro_dancer @ Apr 1 2012, 06:31 PM)
Marketing ploy? Taking the piss more like. If this was Radiohead we would have had the record weeks ago.

If they were Radiohead, I wouldn't give a shit.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Apr 1 2012, 05:57 PM)
Thanks for this great post. Although I suspected that the silence was part of some sort of hype train that they were going to explode right before the tour, this filled in a lot of blanks and corrected some misconceptions.

^^ this.

Thanks for posting Farcryoverspilledmilk!

I do NOT want Rush to be hyped like this.. This feels like some jackass opened the doors to all the douchebags out there who just mess your house up and wear shitty cologne...gtfo!

All this Rush attention is getting to me.

I keep thinking, is this their last album and are they going out with some bang? IS this album going to be epic like MP was?

WTF gives here?

F this, mainstream sucks.

Just my perception,

TKR

PS, I hold no doubt Rush will put out a good recording

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 1 2012, 02:00 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Apr 1 2012, 08:52 AM)
QUOTE (the_necro_dancer @ Apr 1 2012, 06:31 PM)
Marketing ploy? Taking the piss more like. If this was Radiohead we would have had the record weeks ago.

If they were Radiohead, I wouldn't give a shit.

laugh.gif

I have to admit that's hilarious but I like Radiohead a good deal tongue.gif smile.gif

QUOTE (The Killer Rabbit @ Apr 1 2012, 01:55 PM)
I do NOT want Rush to be hyped like this.. This feels like some jackass opened the doors to all the douchebags out there who just mess your house up and wear shitty cologne...gtfo!

I keep thinking, is this their last album and are they going out with some bang? IS this album going to be epic like MP was?
WTF gives here?

Just my perception,
TKR

You're pissed off that Rush is getting attention?

QUOTE (farcryoverspilledmilk @ Apr 1 2012, 04:41 AM)
Hi,

I don't get to post much on the boards but wanted to give my $.02 on the situation of Clockwork Angels and this cloak of secrecy that has gone on now for the better part of a week.

I will be clear in telling you up front that I work for Sirius/XM and yes we were treated to a listening of Headlong Flight and portions of Clockwork Angels in our D.C. offices. This "listening party" has really been blown up to be something it really wasn't. It took place in a conference room and there was a buffet style brunch kinda thing there from what I was told by a colleague who attended. It was extremely low key and maybe 20 to 25 people in total were in attendance.

The entire record was NOT played. What was played were 2 and a half minutes of each track as a "taste" of Rush so to speak. The majority of the people in attendance from what I gathered were the movers and shakers of music with some from Live Nation and other radio and television broadcasters. A small group of critics were there to get a listen as well.

Headlong Flight has been described on the web as everything from sounding like something from By Tor to heavy 80s Rush. I would say it reminds me of something that is as heavy as a song off Permanent Waves and a flow of 80s Rush. Alex is certainly alive on the track.

Why the wait?

This is Roadrunner's baby and what you are all seeing and hearing is all part of a viral string along marketing plan. There is a reason you all knew and found out about the "listening party" to begin with. There is a reason why you have people taking to Twitter giving reviews of a song that nobody is supposedly not going to hear until April 19th. It is all part of a major market push to get the public interested in NEW Rush versus just taking them for their huge catalog.

Trust me. When a label rep comes in the door and starts a tease like this and no green light to air the track? It is nothing but a marketing ploy. Usually they want that song on the air as soon as we can put it on. We are ready to put it on a few of our stations but have not received official permission yet to do so and these kinds of things (playing songs early) can cost big fines and or sanctions in relationships with reps and labels. They need us and we need them!

Just rest and relax on losing patience with Rush themselves. They have nothing to do with it. This is all the label and nothing else. They have basically made sure no recording devices are not on when the track is played, no copies or downloading of the file have happened as of yet but I truly expect that to change by the end of the coming week and you should be listening to Headlong Flight come Easter weekend as word of mouth is spreading at a high rate.

In all of the years I have been a Rush fan (Since 1979), I have not seen people take the time to actually push a Rush single and record the way it is right now and I was working in radio when the Atlantic switch happened. In this day and age for classic rock artists to get a new song on the radio is almost impossible with the exception of our operation. Headlong Flight is going to appeal to a lot of program directors across the country but the bottom line is will it get the support from their boss to add it to the rotation?

Be happy. People are finally working for Rush and doing their job by marketing and not mailing or fed ex or sending an MP3 over. There isn't a lot to talk about at the moment because the label has asked to not go much further into detail other than our reactions (if positive) to the music.

Hang on for the ride gang! Rush is about to take you on a "musical ride" shortly wink.gif

- B.C.

Thanks, interesting post!

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 1 2012, 04:22 PM)

WTF gives here?

Just my perception,
TKR

Not only that he's very, very angry that Steven Speilberg sold out after Duel...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 1 2012, 05:56 PM)

WTF gives here?

Just my perception,
TKR

Not only that he's very, very angry that Steven Speilberg sold out after Duel...

ohmy.gif laugh.gif applaudit.gif

http://alsolikelife.com/shooting/images/duel/duel5.jpg

WTF gives here?

Just my perception,
TKR

I think he's saying that if Rush gets too much attention, they will be popular which thus invalidates the music. If something is popular, clearly it sucks, regardless of what the music sounds like.

On a side note, I just had a thought, how awesome would it be if Clockwork Angels became a film? I would love that, if and only if it was done right, which I have a feeling it would be. It would be based of the album and a book that Neil had a hand in writing.. so... yeah. Then we could be like the Twilight fan girls and claim that we liked it before it was a movie.

Team Watchmaker.

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Apr 1 2012, 07:45 PM)

On a side note, I just had a thought, how awesome would it be if Clockwork Angels became a film? I would love that, if and only if it was done right, which I have a feeling it would be. It would be based of the album and a book that Neil had a hand in writing.. so... yeah. Then we could be like the Twilight fan girls and claim that we liked it before it was a movie.

Team Watchmaker.

goodpost.gif

Edited by lerxt1990

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Apr 1 2012, 05:18 PM)

WTF gives here?

Just my perception,
TKR

Maybe you guys are right...perhaps im being too pessimistic.

Im just not used to the level of roadrunner's marketing tactics.

Ill tell you how i feel, dont fault me for it though

TKR

QUOTE (The Killer Rabbit @ Apr 1 2012, 08:02 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Apr 1 2012, 05:18 PM)

WTF gives here?

Just my perception,
TKR

Maybe you guys are right...perhaps im being too pessimistic.

Im just not used to the level of roadrunner's marketing tactics.

Ill tell you how i feel, dont fault me for it though

TKR

Meh, its all a teaser.. these antics, in the end, dont accomplish anything. Release the album.. and the fans will buy. Lukewarm fans will download and nonfans wont care.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Apr 1 2012, 07:15 PM)
I'm confused. The OP infers that he was not at the listening party and then later gives his opinion of the songs. How is this possible?

The impression at first was he talked in a way that he heard the info from someone else, but took it from word of mouth, then he said he heard the tracks, so I think you can only assume "he was there"

It wont matter in awhile..eventually we will hear it for ourselves.

TKR

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Apr 1 2012, 11:54 AM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 1 2012, 10:49 AM)
hey Farcryoverspilledmilk: Since you listend to snipets of the entire album,

Were there any instrumentals?
If so how many?
Were there any slower songs like Mission or Losingit?
Did they incorporate any keyboards in a major way? (Like Big Money.)
How many songs did you actually listen too?
How many songs are actually part of the Clockwork Angels Suite?
How is Geddy's bass playing? (Flamenco or more bass line driven)
How are Alex's Leads? ( More melodic like Middletown Dreams or Exploratory like By-Tor & the Snowdog)
How's Neals drumming? (Aggressive like Anthem or Precise like Tom Sawyer or Jazzy like Test for Echo)
how did Geddy's voice sound? ( high pitched like Early, normal like in the 80's or Lower like Caravan?

Or are you under a strict gag order?

Inquiry minds want to know!

confused13.gif

re-read his first post. he can't tell you any of this stuff..

farcryoverspilledmilk, interesting post, makes total sense to me.

thanks for posting here trink39.gif

why not, No one knows who he is here! Its not like they had to give their log in names at TRF!

confused13.gif