Headlong Flight

iluvgeddy05

Hey folks, no need to speculate, it's Rush and it will rock...that is what they do and what they have always done. They know this could be their last LP and certainly made it a point to play music they love and if they do that, I will be blown away. Why do you think they did the Time Machine? Why do you think they played Moving Pictures? To roll back the clock and kick our collective asses. Bring it on!!! 2.gif

Also read a few minutes ago that Caravan and BU2B were re-recorded.

I lift things up and I put them down! 2.gif

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Mar 29 2012, 02:29 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Mar 29 2012, 02:14 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 29 2012, 03:10 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Mar 29 2012, 02:04 PM)
An electric guitar is not even a real instrument.

Neither is a keyboard, it's just a synth controller, unless it's attached to a piano...

I know, but Alex seems to think that an electric guitar is somehow more credible than a synthesizer. By the way, I'm quoting Jon Anderson on what Vangelis said to Steve Howe when they were considering him to be the keyboardist for the "Relayer" album.

wtf.gif

Alright you two, take your conversation to another plane of consciousness where it can be appreciated.

tongue.gif

angel.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 29 2012, 08:39 AM)
QUOTE (tas7 @ Mar 29 2012, 01:05 AM)
Sources saying Caravan and BU2B have been re recorded as Rush changed record labels.

I read a recent-ish interview with Alex online where he said they were probably going to re-record Caravan and BU2B. yes.gif

That would definitely appeal to me. Those 2 songs did not thrill me when I here'd them live. For some reason reminded me to much of VT. Can't explain why.

80-91 in a blender somehow mixed with an updated By-Tor (for me a top 10 rush song!) sounds just great. If they re-worked BU2B and Caravan it might imply a slight softening of them which might get away from the VT sound / feel.

As a Rush fan, life is good right now. Lets just the album turns out to be as good as it sounds like it might be.

trink39.gif

Dam, I am really starting to go common001.gif. up till now I have not been all that worked up but all of a sudden...

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 29 2012, 01:22 PM)
i'll bet they didn't plan on using keyboards and than nick the producer fanboi jumped in and said give me some keyboards.  geddy and alex:  i hear and obey.

Oooh, "fanboi" spelled "boi!" Ouch! eh.gif

I don't think a "fanboi" producer would have challenged Neil on his drum parts the way Nick did on Way the Wind Blows. no.gif

And I thought it was Neil who dominates the band and tells Alex and Geddy what to do? unsure.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 29 2012, 04:58 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 29 2012, 02:18 PM)
Expectations are what you make of them.  Glean from these types of comments something positive, not something MONUMENTAL.  I think the comments coming out so far are interesting, but the person could be dead wrong about the quality.  I gleaned from it "there are keyboards this go 'round."  I can get behind that.

Agreed. I mean, there are keyboards in Caravan and BU2B already. They are also really heavy songs. They also have really punchy bass and acrobatic drum parts.

It just seems like people are able to get all excited about hearing these descriptions of the new unheard song and album overall but when these same desires are in songs that we already have a lot of these same fans are going "whatever" about them. When something is unknown and over the horizon it can meet any fantasy you have for it but when you hear it it's not going to sound that way. I doubt there'll be much in a descriptive sense that will be in Headlong Flight that's not already in those two songs from CA. "It's like an updated By-Tor" - What does that even mean? Are some of you people expecting the same notes in the same order or something? It's going to sound like songs we've never heard before and it might be awesome. But describing songs in words is not really useful other than concrete things like song lengths or whether it's an instrumental.

Caravan already has everything most of you seem to be wishing for and yet a large number of people don't like it. What previous Rush song does it sound like? Nothing, it sounds like Caravan. And Headlong Flight won't sound like Bytor, either, it'll sound like Headlong Flight.

Well when I heard that it was an updated By_Tor, Epic really great Guitar break downs. I immediately thought of the Slow part in By-TOR with Alex on the Volume Pedals. So yes it did give some insight!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Mar 28 2012, 07:25 PM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Mar 28 2012, 04:59 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 28 2012, 04:32 PM)
QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Mar 28 2012, 03:26 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 28 2012, 04:24 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Mar 28 2012, 03:51 PM)
From RIAB:

UPDATE - 3/28@4:48PM: I have also received information that Headlong First will indeed be the first single and that a 5.5-minute edit will be hitting radio on April 19th. The listening party did indeed take place yesterday, and Roadrunner is keeping a very tight lid on the track, so it's unlikely that it will leak. Although there's a possibility we'll get to hear a sample online sometime before the radio release.

That is great that the single is so long they have to edit it down. 1022.gif

/Debbie Downer/ Could also mean that none of the rest of the songs are worth releasing and could only find 5 acceptable minutes from the one.

No. I just think it means they really dig this track but they know that radio won't touch anything that's 7.5 minutes long.

Hey Jude - Beatles

War Pigs/Luke's Wall - Black Sabbath

Station to Station - David Bowie

Layla - Darek and the Dominos

The End - Doors

Jesus of Suburbia - Green Day

In-a-Gadda-da-Vida - Iron Butterfly

Scenes From an Italian Restaurant - Billy Joel

Funeral For a Friend - Elton John

In the Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson

When the Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin

Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd

One - Metallica

Champagne Supernova - Oasis

Sheep - Pink Floyd

Purple Rain - Prince

Can't You Hear Me Knockin' - Rolling Stones

Jungleland - Bruce Springsteen

Won't Get Fooled Again - Who

Starship Trooper - Yes

just to name a few biggrin.gif I bet the cool stations play the album cut biggrin.gif biggrin.gif cool.gif

Don Maclean's American Pie is that length or so (I think - please correct me if I am wrong) and the gets plaid in its entirety.

Lets hope at least a few stations play the entire song.

As one of the 'radio guys' here on the board, as to the length of the song, 7.5 minutes is pretty long, in today's radio scene. The long songs that were referenced in this thread are kind of 'grandfathered in' because they were made popular back in the 'Album Rock' days. We obviously play the full version of "Working Man" which is 7:07; all of Stairway, etc (no In-A-Gadda though...that's just stupid long). There are some of the Metallica songs we play (One, Bleeding Me, etc) that are long too. It's just going to depend on the song. Most stations are not independently programmed like the ones I program. I have no "corporate programmer" (except for our owner who was a programmer at one time). I think any radio play is better than no radio play, edit or no edit.

I'm not a fan of edits either, especially on a Rock station. I'm hoping to see/hear some sort of snippet soon.

Getting stoked as the Big Machine fires up again!!!

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Mar 29 2012, 02:07 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Mar 29 2012, 01:48 PM)
I cant even get into the damn name. It sounds to stupid to me. Headlong Flight? I'm sure I need to get some music attached to it and maybe then it will start sounding normal, but man I wish they would just do everything at once. Dont tell me the name before the single is released. Then I start over analyzing even just the name.

I thought Caravan was a strange song title initially too. All I could think of was Dodge Caravan's. And let's not get started on BU2B which could've been some obscure chemical compound.

Clockwork Angels is shaping up to be the weirdo song title album.

Not to mention the weirdo album title itself.

When I first heard the song title, I said to myself, "Hmm, that would sound nerdy if I didn't know it was part of an album that told a story". Not that there's anything wrong with being nerdy - I heart.gif being a (Rush) nerd cool.gif

Then I got Queen's Headlong in my head.

Then someone pointed out that Headlong Flight is just another way of saying 2.gif , and I thought, "OMG, that is the fantabulously coolest thing EVER!" icon_alienjig.gif

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Mar 29 2012, 09:15 PM)
I cant even get into the damn name. It sounds to stupid to me. Headlong Flight? I'm sure I need to get some music attached to it and maybe then it will start sounding normal, but man I wish they would just do everything at once. Dont tell me the name before the single is released. Then I start over analyzing even just the name.

I thought Caravan was a strange song title initially too. All I could think of was Dodge Caravan's. And let's not get started on BU2B which could've been some obscure chemical compound.

When I first heard the song title, I said to myself, "Hmm, that would sound nerdy if I didn't know it was part of an album that told a story". Not that there's anything wrong with being nerdy - I heart.gif being a (Rush) nerd cool.gif

Then someone pointed out that Headlong Flight is just another way of saying 2.gif , and I thought, "OMG, that is the fantabulously coolest thing EVER!" icon_alienjig.gif

Yep, I've run into the Queen thing too a few times today. Like right now.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 30 2012, 04:18 AM)
QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Mar 29 2012, 09:15 PM)

Yep, I've run into the Queen thing too a few times today. Like right now.

rofl3.gif

For what it's worth...from RIAB:

UPDATE - 3/30@7:30AM: Roadrunner continues to shop the Headlong Flight single around the radio community. Grover Collins is the Program Director at WUBE/WYGY in Cincinnati, OH and tweeted the following yesterday evening:

Just heard new RUSH single from upcoming CD "Clockwork Angels" called "Headlong Flight"...Old school RUSH fans rejoice! It ROCKS 74-77 era!

@rushtheband New RUSH single from upcoming CD called "Headlong Flight"...Old school RUSH fans rejoice! It ROCKS 74-77 era! Just awesome!!

I'm telling you guys its going to rock By-Tor Style with an 80's Sound! I hear a strong rocking song with a mellow break in the middle that sounds like the begining of Xanadu then it slowly picks up into one of Alex's Epic Leads!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 30 2012, 09:25 AM)
I'm telling you guys its going to rock By-Tor Style with an 80's Sound! I hear a strong rocking song with a mellow break in the middle that sounds like the begining of Xanadu then it slowly picks up into one of Alex's Epic Leads!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

So you have a copy of it?

QUOTE (Gompers @ Mar 30 2012, 08:26 AM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 30 2012, 09:25 AM)

2.gif  1022.gif  2.gif

So you have a copy of it?

I can only wish! I'm just trying to piece it all together from the different quotes!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (GernTheFish @ Mar 30 2012, 08:43 AM)
Well, according to my wife, "it's probably gonna sound like all the other Rush songs. They all sound the same."

Oh well...WIVES. Can't live without 'em...can't kill 'em.

Get the same thing from my girlfriend. Not that she thinks they literally all sound the same, but to her sounds the same means they all sound like crap.