Spoiler Policy for the CWA subforum?

The Owl

I guess before we get too deep into this now that "Clockwork Angels" has it's own subforum now, what are the policies regarding spoilers and the new album? More of a question to the mods and admins..

Are we gonna go along the same lines as Snakes and Arrows, in the short bit of leadup to it's release? (I think there was a whole hog pinned thread regarding spiolers for S&A)

- Spoilers are any Artwork, Lyrics, song samples and clips, whole songs, song titles, song lengths...etc

- They are not spoilers, (or are they?) if any of the above are officially released through the Band or Label websites (Rush.com or Roadrunner.com).... if the info comes from any other site that is not sourced through those site it is a spoiler.

(not too sure about this one, some people might not want to know anything at all, Official sites or otherwise)

- When discussing spoilers use the spoiler highlight trick, (choose color, erase the name of the color and type "#F7DBBA" ...heres and example

(highlight to read, not a real spoiler below)

Spoiler-rific text goes here, fellow Rush bretheren....

(make sure you close your tags, (thanks Jack, stole this from the VV spoiler policy))

- Any Links to spoilers, text, pics video or otherwise in posts must be labeled as a spoiler...

- KEEP SPOILERS out of Thread Titles, and descriptions.. Thread Titles are viewable from the front page , so those who wish to avoid spoilers completely can still see a juicy spoiler from the main page, be careful here.

Those were some of the general guidelines that were used before S&A came out, I am not a mod nor admin so these are not official in any way, but please for the sake of others (not me, I am not gonna forsake spoilers) try to heed your posts from here on in.

Edited by The Owl

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't around when SNA came out so I don't know how things were around here... but if we need to treat this new album like we're worried we might spoil the ending of friggin' Citizen Kane, then I might as well ditch the forum for a few months after it comes out. It's music, not some heavy film, the enjoyment of which hinges on not knowing how it ends.

Artwork?! The CD cover needs a spoiler warning?! Why not just post a spoiler warning for the title? SPOILER! IT'S CALLED CLOCKWORK ANGELS!

If the admins decide to implement a spoiler policy, I'll either follow it or I'll just leave the forum for a little while. All due respect, it's a stupid idea.

As I mentioned, I don't mind spoilers myself and I will seek/talk about them as they are known, but there are some among us who do care..

There was a spoiler policy for S&A, but I don't remember all the details, I ask because I do not wish to be the one who ruins someone else's surprise.

the only spoiler that really makes sense to me is the tour set list, as understandably some people don't want to have that info given away, but in terms of album covers, i personally don't think that's a big deal. i mean, doesn't everyone want to see what it will look like? confused13.gif

in terms of previewed clips and singles, well, even a thread won't make you listen to those - it's not like the clips start playing when you click on the thread or anything...

QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 22 2012, 10:48 PM)
I guess before we get too deep into this now that "Clockwork Angels" has it's own subforum now, what are the policies regarding spoilers and the new album? More of a question to the mods and admins..

Are we gonna go along the same lines as Snakes and Arrows, in the short bit of leadup to it's release? (I think there was a whole hog pinned thread regarding spiolers for S&A)

- Spoilers are any Artwork, Lyrics, song samples and clips, whole songs, song titles, song lengths...etc

- They are not spoilers, (or are they?) if any of the above are officially released through the Band or Label websites (Rush.com or Roadrunner.com).... if the info comes from any other site that is not sourced through those site it is a spoiler.
(not too sure about this one, some people might not want to know anything at all, Official sites or otherwise)

- When discussing spoilers use the spoiler highlight trick, (choose color, erase the name of the color and type "#F7DBBA" ...heres and example
(highlight to read, not a real spoiler below)

Spoiler-rific text goes here, fellow Rush bretheren....

(make sure you close your tags, (thanks Jack, stole this from the VV spoiler policy))

- Any Links to spoilers, text, pics video or otherwise in posts must be labeled as a spoiler...

- KEEP SPOILERS out of Thread Titles, and descriptions.. Thread Titles are viewable from the front page , so those who wish to avoid spoilers completely can still see a juicy spoiler from the main page, be careful here.

Those were some of the general guidelines that were used before S&A came out, I am not a mod nor admin so these are not official in any way, but please for the sake of others (not me, I am not gonna forsake spoilers) try to heed your posts from here on in.

I don't mind the use of them anywhere, and I can understand the argument for them. But good luck with this. If people can't understand why to use spoilers and complain in the Video Vertigo section, there's no way they will use them here.

For the love of God, in VV you may want to see the previews of a movie/tv show or the reviews, but you might not want to know that...

spoiler alert

Bruce Willis is dead the whole time in The Sixth Sense.

But just asking someone to post two words, let alone use that tag, is about the same as asking people not to bash Neil for his lyrics. It ain't gonna happen.

Spoiler alert

People will continue to balk at you asking them to use spoilers.

Also, someone or many will rip me for my post complaining about them being used or not being used in VV.

More of a ***Theory Spoiler Alert*** really.

wow...two spoiler alert tags in one post and it took all of 30 seconds...Gosh thats hard!

Okay PARF, but let me ask you this: just what exactly would someone be doing in the CA sub-section if they are trying to avoid spoilers? Because there is nothing - nothing - that can be said about the album at all that wouldn't be considered a spoiler by someone. Album cover? Check. Lyrical content? Check. Song structure or length? Check. All potential spoilers and yet... what the hell else is there to talk about? Every single thread is by definition a spoiler for the album! This isn't like talking about a movie but putting a spoiler warning before telling people Vader is Luke's father. There is literally *nothing* to talk about with the album that isn't a spoiler. Anyone who comes into the CA sub-section is asking for spoilers and deserves what they get.

Logic, FTW.

Like I stated before, It is simply a question of If a spoiler policy will be in effect for this subforum, I ask because there was one for S&A, but If I can remember more clearly, I think it only limited to thread titles (as they can be seen from the main page), and when talking about the album outside the Snakes and Arrows subforum(now the Clockwork Angels subforum)

As to Presto and danielclark, the cheek is not necessary.

Edited by The Owl

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 23 2012, 02:05 AM)
Okay PARF, but let me ask you this: just what exactly would someone be doing in the CA sub-section if they are trying to avoid spoilers? Because there is nothing - nothing - that can be said about the album at all that wouldn't be considered a spoiler by someone. Album cover? Check. Lyrical content? Check. Song structure or length? Check. All potential spoilers and yet... what the hell else is there to talk about? Every single thread is by definition a spoiler for the album! This isn't like talking about a movie but putting a spoiler warning before telling people Vader is Luke's father. There is literally *nothing* to talk about with the album that isn't a spoiler. Anyone who comes into the CA sub-section is asking for spoilers and deserves what they get.

Logic, FTW.

I'm just saying I can understand that someone might want certain things set up with a spoiler AND want to know what the guidelines are as a courtesy to others. To me, for the reasons alot of people stated above, I PERSONALLY don't see a need for them in here, but I don't blame someone for asking the question OR for wanting them for certain things.

For the sake of argument, let's say he didn't want to know the track list (for whatever reason) until the album was released and he was reading a thread, lets say titled "Caravan - What do you think?" and someone in the midst of giving their opinion of Caravan said:

"I like the theme of Caravan, but with, 'Religion Basher', 'Religion is Evil' and 'Religion must be stopped' as the track titles directly after Caravan, I don't have high hopes for the rest of the epic"

He would have had the track list given away w/out having the option to just avoid it. AGAIN, to me PERSONALLY, it wouldn't bother me to know the track list and, spoiler alert, those are the real track names after Caravan, BTW. laugh.gif Oh shit....belated spoiler alert! tongue.gif

Now that is just a basic idea of why sometimes a simple "spoiler" would be used. AGAIN....I SAY AGAIN, I PERSONALLY don't see the need for them in here, unless like rushgoober said, in the case of set lists. But by the same token, if someone asked that they be used when talking about the track list, I would try to honor that request and just take 2 seconds to type "spoiler alert - track list" if I was commenting on it in a thread that wasn't titled "Track list". If the thread was titled "Track list" and he went in there, then thats his bad.

I guess my point is, I don't blame him for asking the question. I don't blame him if he would like certain things set up as spoilers, and I really appreciate him asking the question because to me, the motivation for asking is one, he wouldn't want to spoil something for someone inadvertently and two, there are some things that he himself, may not want to know about. And while it may be something that you or I might not find a big deal, it may be to him.

Is that long enough and clear enough of an explanation? (I know it's certainly long enough! laugh.gif )

I cant get enough spoilers! We have had so very few this time (Caravan and BU2B not included).

Just a few interviews a year ago and longer, and a friend of someone that speaked to someone that knew Geddy and had listened to some preproduction songs.

For me, the spoilers are a kind of a part of the anticipation process of a new Rush release. I get fired up by it.

I will listen to every 30 second clip they release a hundred times. 30 second clips does not reveal the song anyway. It only fires you up even more, or it can also let you down. F.ex. I hated the clips of the new DT. The album turned out pretty decent anyway.

I will soon turn 40 and this anticipation process is something that links me back to when I was 14/15 years old and hearing Rush for the very first time. I need this. I may be growing grey and bald but I dont want to feel old.

I am an Fanboi! cheer.gif

And I want to reiterate, I'll either go along with whatever the policy is or I'll just take off for a bit. I will respect the decision, whichever way it goes. I have no stake in posting every little tidbit of information, members' feelings be damned.

But I will argue against having to post spoiler warnings because my overall point have not yet been addressed: there is no way to talk about the album in any way without having to throw down a spoiler warning. And if that's the case, then the entire subforum might has well say "spoilers inside, you have been warned". It shouldn't be on every member to worry about what might be a spoiler and what might not be, or what the proper bloody technique for spoilers is - using blank lines, posting SPOILERS AHEAD!!!! or doing that ridiculous trick with the color of the text.

Those are my opinions on the matter. I'd like to hear from the admins on this before we go much further because we might be going round-and-round here for no reason. They can clear it up.

Spoiler warnings for a new album? This is the first i've ever heard of anything like that being mentioned anywhere when it comes to a bands new album. Honestly, it's one of the dumbest things i've ever heard. As a fan of a band you should want to know as much info about the new material as possible. Why wouldn't a fan wanna hear a new song, or see the track listing or read a review as to what the album sounds like or in this case what the concept of it is suppose to be?

To me, seeing more info about Clockwork Angels just gets me more excited for it and I find it odd that some fans don't feel the same way. We've waited too long for this album to come out, bring on all the "spoilers" you want, i'm ready for this album trink39.gif

Edited by J2112YYZ

Regarding spoilers, I think all talk about the new album, setlist, etc... should be avoided until the last concert date from the tour has occurred.

THEN, we can discuss it openly.

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 22 2012, 10:41 PM)
I wasn't around when SNA came out so I don't know how things were around here... but if we need to treat this new album like we're worried we might spoil the ending of friggin' Citizen Kane, then I might as well ditch the forum for a few months after it comes out. It's music, not some heavy film, the enjoyment of which hinges on not knowing how it ends.

Artwork?! The CD cover needs a spoiler warning?! Why not just post a spoiler warning for the title? SPOILER! IT'S CALLED CLOCKWORK ANGELS!

If the admins decide to implement a spoiler policy, I'll either follow it or I'll just leave the forum for a little while. All due respect, it's a stupid idea.

I gotta agree with this.

Once the tour starts - I assume a new subforum will be created - just like with TM. could have setlist spoilers in there, but I see no point of having them in here.

I think one should assume this whole subforum is possible spoilers until the release date.

Could someone explain to me why the album Clockwork Angels keeps getting abbreviated as CWA or CW? How is it not CA? Is Moving Pictures MVP? Is Vapor Trails VPT? No. Shouldn't the only two word album names that need a third letter be PoW and PeW, to clarify the same PW abbreviation?

QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Mar 23 2012, 10:12 AM)
Could someone explain to me why the album Clockwork Angels keeps getting abbreviated as CWA or CW? How is it not CA? Is Moving Pictures MVP? Is Vapor Trails VPT? No. Shouldn't the only two word album names that need a third letter be PoW and PeW, to clarify the same PW abbreviation?

I C T Y, B Th I W H To K Y

QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Mar 23 2012, 08:12 AM)

I've never seen it abbreviated as CWA or CW. I've only ever seen it CA, as it should be.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 23 2012, 10:24 AM)
QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Mar 23 2012, 08:12 AM)
Could someone explain to me why the album Clockwork Angels keeps getting abbreviated as CWA or CW?  How is it not CA?  Is Moving Pictures MVP?  Is Vapor Trails VPT?  No. Shouldn't the only two word album names that need a third letter be PoW and PeW, to clarify the same PW abbreviation?

I've never seen it abbreviated as CWA or CW. I've only ever seen it CA, as it should be.

Have you looked at the title of this thread?

A spoiler alert for a f-n Album is ridiculous . It's not a Setlist , it's an Album ! If it's That important Not to see the Cover, don't be online until it comes out , it will be Everywhere . Names of Songs ? What is the big deal ?