Slash say RRHOF induction "bittersweet"

Bonghitsforjesus

QUOTE (Bonghitsforjesus @ Mar 21 2012, 07:50 PM)
I've never liked Slash that much, but my esteem grows.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/slash-confirms-at...-202828045.html

You know what would be really cool? If, given their allotted time to perform, they launch into an impromptu medley of Rush songs (or songs from all the groups who should be in a real RRHOF but aren't), glaring at Jann Wenner and Dave Marsh the whole time.

Edited by laughedatbytime

He feels honoured but also a bit turned off given that the hall has overlooked so many other great rock bands.

"It's sort of a bittersweet thing too because there's so many artists that aren't inducted, that came way before Guns did, that really actually almost deserve more to be in there and they're not in there, the guitarist said in an interview Wednesday, listing off Canadian band Rush, Deep Purple, Cheap Trick and Kiss as examples.

"So it's really hard to sort of feel victorious ... that to me just doesn't seem right."

Yeah, that's a pretty classy thing to say. trink39.gif

The other musical acts being inducted into the hall this year in the performer category are Red Hot Chili Peppers, Donovan, Laura Nyro, the Small Faces/Faces, Beastie Boys, the Crickets, the Famous Flames, the Midnighters, the Comets, the Blue Caps and the Miracles.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 21 2012, 09:00 PM)
He feels honoured but also a bit turned off given that the hall has overlooked so many other great rock bands.

"It's sort of a bittersweet thing too because there's so many artists that aren't inducted, that came way before Guns did, that really actually almost deserve more to be in there and they're not in there, the guitarist said in an interview Wednesday, listing off Canadian band Rush, Deep Purple, Cheap Trick and Kiss as examples.

"So it's really hard to sort of feel victorious ... that to me just doesn't seem right."

Yeah, that's a pretty classy thing to say. trink39.gif

yes.gif Couldn't agree more.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Mar 21 2012, 10:03 PM)
The other musical acts being inducted into the hall this year in the performer category are Red Hot Chili Peppers, Donovan, Laura Nyro, the Small Faces/Faces, Beastie Boys, the Crickets, the Famous Flames, the Midnighters, the Comets, the Blue Caps and the Miracles.

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Beastie Boys

More deserving than Rush. laugh.gif

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Mar 21 2012, 07:57 PM)
QUOTE (Bonghitsforjesus @ Mar 21 2012, 07:50 PM)
I've never liked Slash that much, but my esteem grows.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/slash-confirms-at...-202828045.html

You know what would be really cool? If, given their allotted time to perform, they launch into an impromptu medley of Rush songs (or songs from all the groups who should be in a real RRHOF but aren't), glaring at Jann Wenner and Dave Marsh the whole time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkujv_LzzQ8

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Mar 21 2012, 08:03 PM)

I've literally heard of two of these bands.

That is a great comment for him to make unsolicited. I love that it kinda spits in the RRHOF's face. Actually, its almost a badge of honor not being in the RRHOF now. I think the lyrics of The Spirit of Radio point out one of the reasons that RUSH gets this kinda treatment. It kinda calls out that the whole "awards" thing is BS. Not saying that IS the reason that they aren't in, but just one of the little things that's gotta get under their skin.

"One likes to believe

In the freedom of music,

But glittering prizes

And endless compromises

Shatter the illusion

Of integrity."

Couldn't be more true!

Edited by Presto-a RUSH fan!

Every year, the RRHOF has this Corporate Battle of the Bands event in October. My work band (classic rock covers) participated 2 years ago and made it to the finals. We joked about doing a Rush tune but I don't think we could have pulled it off.

As a lark, I thought sending in a submission this year from my Rush tribute band, given that we actually qualify, since half the band (including the singer) work at the same place... That would be so funny, playing 3 Rush songs back-to-back in the RRHOF. However, not sure their employer would be willing to pay the $10 000 entry fee for the finals.

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 22 2012, 02:42 AM)
That is a great comment for him to make unsolicited. I love that it kinda spits in the RRHOF's face. Actually, its almost a badge of honor not being in the RRHOF now. I think the lyrics of The Spirit of Radio point out one of the reasons that RUSH gets this kinda treatment. It kinda calls out that the whole "awards" thing is BS. Not saying that IS the reason that they aren't in, but just one of the little things that's gotta get under their skin.

"One likes to believe
In the freedom of music,
But glittering prizes
And endless compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity."

Couldn't be more true!

goodpost.gif

Without an iota of doubt, Rush has far beyond the credentials for being admitted into the HOF, but they really are in a different league and should never be lumped into that steaming pile of mainstream sh!t. So really- who gives a hoot? Its inconsequential whether in or not, imo.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Mar 21 2012, 07:05 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Mar 21 2012, 10:03 PM)

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Beastie Boys

More deserving than Rush. laugh.gif

Chili Peppers deserve to be in, imo.

The Beastie Boys is a head scratcher for me. Fight for Your Right (To Party) and Brass Monkey are the only songs I know. For 3 guys who can't sing worth a shite, they made it pretty far, I guess.

Rush have been overlooked for so many years by the RRHF people, and sooo many other bands that don't deserve to be there, are there...

well...

In my humble opinion, I want to see Rush continue to NOT be inducted because really... does our band... do our boys... want to be glommed together with the likes of the bands that are there (like the Beastie Boys, for eg) or to be leading the musical counter-culture?

Counter culture for sure. Keep Rush out of the RRHF. If Wenner wants to keep inducting mediocre bands that appeal to the masses, despite a distinct lack of talent, being run by corporate big wigs and dumb down what the ideal of a hall of fame means, then by all means, Rush does NOT deserve to be in Wenner's RRHF.

QUOTE (Atomic @ Mar 22 2012, 12:35 PM)
Rush have been overlooked for so many years by the RRHF people, and sooo many other bands that don't deserve to be there, are there...

well...

In my humble opinion, I want to see Rush continue to NOT be inducted because really... does our band... do our boys... want to be glommed together with the likes of the bands that are there (like the Beastie Boys, for eg) or to be leading the musical counter-culture?

Counter culture for sure. Keep Rush out of the RRHF. If Wenner wants to keep inducting mediocre bands that appeal to the masses, despite a distinct lack of talent, being run by corporate big wigs and dumb down what the ideal of a hall of fame means, then by all means, Rush does NOT deserve to be in Wenner's RRHF.

I'm not going to defend the Hall under all circumstances, and I agree that there are some questionable choices, but there are more truly deserving people in the Hall than not.

The "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame is about as "Rock and Roll" as The House of "Blues" is about the Blues. Maybe a more generic name would be better, but it is what it is, and the Beastie Boys deserve their slot.

Lastly, anyone who hasn't heard of the the Crickets, the Comets or the Miracles doesn't get to complain about who they let into the Hall anymore. That's Modern Music History 101, people.

QUOTE (upstateNYfan @ Mar 22 2012, 01:36 PM)
I really do wonder if they'll ever be inducted. More important though is whether they would even show up.

I doubt they would show up. What's the point? Neil for sure would never attend so it would be a pointless event.

^^ I take your point about a lot of deserving artists being in the RRHF.

However, my point is that with all the dubious ones that get in because of corporate pressure or based on pure album sales, even if the music is flash in the pan shite, it's the undeserving acts that totally tarnish what the hall of fame represents.

Plus, the fact that Rush has been overlooked for um... decades... it's kind of a point of honour, IMO, for Rush to NOT be in the RRHF.

QUOTE (upstateNYfan @ Mar 22 2012, 11:36 AM)
I really do wonder if they'll ever be inducted. More important though is whether they would even show up.

Being the stand-up guys they are I think they'd show. Especially since they know their fans really want them inducted. I've heard many interviews where they say it doesn't matter to them, but they know it bothers the fans.

As much as I'd like to see them get in and then turn down the invitation to the induction, I don't think they'd ever do it.

QUOTE (Atomic @ Mar 22 2012, 12:54 PM)
^^ I take your point about a lot of deserving artists being in the RRHF.

However, my point is that with all the dubious ones that get in because of corporate pressure or based on pure album sales, even if the music is flash in the pan shite, it's the undeserving acts that totally tarnish what the hall of fame represents.

Plus, the fact that Rush has been overlooked for um... decades... it's kind of a point of honour, IMO, for Rush to NOT be in the RRHF.

I get that point of view because I used to think that way, too. But I've changed my mind about it over the years. Right there in the name of the joint is "Fame". It's not "The Rock and Roll Hall of Influential Musicians" or "The Rock and Roll Hall of the Most Talented People"... it's about fame. I'll bet dollars to donuts that in 2019, when Nickelback is eligible, they get in. When you sell something on the order of 25 million albums and win 32 awards out of 71 nominations, you deservedly get into the Hall. I can't stand Nickelback, but they do deserve it... because that's what the Hall is all about. Fame.

The thing about Rush not getting in is personal, and it's pathetic, but that's all it is.

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Mar 22 2012, 02:41 PM)
QUOTE (upstateNYfan @ Mar 22 2012, 11:36 AM)

Being the stand-up guys they are I think they'd show. Especially since they know their fans really want them inducted. I've heard many interviews where they say it doesn't matter to them, but they know it bothers the fans.

As much as I'd like to see them get in and then turn down the invitation to the induction, I don't think they'd ever do it.

I bet you're right. Good post.