Slash say RRHOF induction "bittersweet"

Bonghitsforjesus

QUOTE (New Digital Man @ Mar 22 2012, 03:44 PM)
It's widely agreed that the Chilli's have made ONE good album and that was in 1991 and without John Frusciante i can't see them doing another of that quality!

15 million of the 80 million albums they've sold were Blood Sugar Sex Magik. So... I'm not sure about "widely agreed". They seem to be doing okay.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 22 2012, 02:46 PM)
QUOTE (Atomic @ Mar 22 2012, 12:35 PM)
Rush have been overlooked for so many years by the RRHF people, and sooo many other bands that don't deserve to be there, are there...

well...

In my humble opinion, I want to see Rush continue to NOT be inducted because really... does our band... do our boys... want to be glommed together with the likes of the bands that are there (like the Beastie Boys, for eg) or to be leading the musical counter-culture?

Counter culture for sure. Keep Rush out of the RRHF. If Wenner wants to keep inducting mediocre bands that appeal to the masses, despite a distinct lack of talent, being run by corporate big wigs and dumb down what the ideal of a hall of fame means, then by all means, Rush does NOT deserve to be in Wenner's RRHF.

I'm not going to defend the Hall under all circumstances, and I agree that there are some questionable choices, but there are more truly deserving people in the Hall than not.

The "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame is about as "Rock and Roll" as The House of "Blues" is about the Blues. Maybe a more generic name would be better, but it is what it is, and the Beastie Boys deserve their slot.

Lastly, anyone who hasn't heard of the the Crickets, the Comets or the Miracles doesn't get to complain about who they let into the Hall anymore. That's Modern Music History 101, people.

I haven't heard of any of the 3 band you mentioned and I'm 15.

Yet, I know KISS, Cheap Trick, and Rush.

Kiss has sold about 100 million albums. I'd say more kids today know Kiss than Pink Floyd or Genesis, but they are both in. Reasoning?

Edited by Tommy Sawyer

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Mar 22 2012, 02:49 PM)
QUOTE (upstateNYfan @ Mar 22 2012, 01:36 PM)
I really do wonder if they'll ever be inducted. More important though is whether they would even show up.

I doubt they would show up. What's the point? Neil for sure would never attend so it would be a pointless event.

I think that they would show up, make some self-deprecating jokes in a gracious acceptance speech, and have a good laugh amongst themselves about the whole thing. I believe that they're much too classy to do anything else.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Mar 22 2012, 04:11 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 22 2012, 02:46 PM)
QUOTE (Atomic @ Mar 22 2012, 12:35 PM)
Rush have been overlooked for so many years by the RRHF people, and sooo many other bands that don't deserve to be there, are there...

well...

In my humble opinion, I want to see Rush continue to NOT be inducted because really... does our band... do our boys... want to be glommed together with the likes of the bands that are there (like the Beastie Boys, for eg) or to be leading the musical counter-culture?

Counter culture for sure. Keep Rush out of the RRHF. If Wenner wants to keep inducting mediocre bands that appeal to the masses, despite a distinct lack of talent, being run by corporate big wigs and dumb down what the ideal of a hall of fame means, then by all means, Rush does NOT deserve to be in Wenner's RRHF.

I'm not going to defend the Hall under all circumstances, and I agree that there are some questionable choices, but there are more truly deserving people in the Hall than not.

The "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame is about as "Rock and Roll" as The House of "Blues" is about the Blues. Maybe a more generic name would be better, but it is what it is, and the Beastie Boys deserve their slot.

Lastly, anyone who hasn't heard of the the Crickets, the Comets or the Miracles doesn't get to complain about who they let into the Hall anymore. That's Modern Music History 101, people.

I haven't heard of any of the 3 band you mentioned and I'm 15.

Yet, I know KISS, Cheap Trick, and Rush.

Kiss has sold about 100 million albums. I'd say more kids today know Kiss than Pink Floyd or Genesis, but they are both in. Reasoning?

I stand by my point. Age doesn't let you off the hook wink.gif

The three I mentioned were so integral to the formation of rock and roll that I'm simply amazed it took this long to get them in to begin with. You may recognize the fuller names, Bill Haley and the Comets, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles. The Crickets were pretty much just The Crickets, but they were formed by some guy named Buddy Holly. Whoever he is wink.gif They pretty much set the stage for the Beatles - arguably, without acts like these, the Beatles never would have stood a chance.

Kiss, much like Rush, that seems to be a personal vendetta that's keeping them out. It's irrational and completely ridiculous. I'm not arguing that the bands who haven't been let in don't deserve it or simply haven't sold enough records, don't get me wrong. I'm just sayin', all other things being equal, when you sell a bazillion records and have millions of fans the world over, you're probably going to get in, despite what some critics might think.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 21 2012, 09:00 PM)
He feels honoured but also a bit turned off given that the hall has overlooked so many other great rock bands.

"It's sort of a bittersweet thing too because there's so many artists that aren't inducted, that came way before Guns did, that really actually almost deserve more to be in there and they're not in there, the guitarist said in an interview Wednesday, listing off Canadian band Rush, Deep Purple, Cheap Trick and Kiss as examples.

"So it's really hard to sort of feel victorious ... that to me just doesn't seem right."

Yeah, that's a pretty classy thing to say.  trink39.gif

Hells yeah it is! Slash may be overrated but he sure as hell is still a great guitarist. And he DOES have class. The one who doesn't is Axl tongue.gif

Edited by Good,bad,andrush

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Mar 22 2012, 08:36 PM)
QUOTE (Perchance to Dream @ Mar 22 2012, 12:39 PM)

Chili Peppers deserve to be in, imo.

If they are in, then 20 to 30 other bands from the 90s/00s have to go in as well..

But.. I wasnt dissing them, I said "more than Rush."

Don't worry, most of the bands you're thinking of will be in once they meet the eligibility requirements. wacko.gif

QUOTE (Atomic @ Mar 22 2012, 02:35 PM)

well...

goodpost.gif

Ive said this for a long time. We dont need their stamp of approval.

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Mar 21 2012, 08:57 PM)
QUOTE (Bonghitsforjesus @ Mar 21 2012, 07:50 PM)
I've never liked Slash that much, but my esteem grows.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/slash-confirms-at...-202828045.html

You know what would be really cool? If, given their allotted time to perform, they launch into an impromptu medley of Rush songs (or songs from all the groups who should be in a real RRHOF but aren't), glaring at Jann Wenner and Dave Marsh the whole time.

goodpost.gif The ultimate dig... I wonder why Metallica didn't think of that??

I bet the powers that be, would try to disrupt the jam REAL QUICK!! wink.gif