Best Group of Five Rush Albums in a Row?

rushgoober

What are the best five albums in a row by Rush?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. What are the best five albums in a row by Rush?

• Rush - A Farewell to Kings
    • Fly By Night - Hemispheres
    • Caress of Steel - Permanent Waves
    • 2112 - Moving Pictures
    • A Farewell to Kings - Signals
    • Hemispheres - Grace Under Pressure
    • Permanent Waves - Power Windows
    • Moving Pictures - Hold Your Fire
    • Signals - Presto
    • Grace Under Pressure - Roll the Bones
    • Power Windows - Counterparts
    • Hold Your Fire - Test For Echo
    • Presto - Vapor Trails
    • Roll the Bones - Snakes & Arrows

QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 19 2012, 04:24 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 19 2012, 11:06 AM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 19 2012, 12:48 AM)
Interesting. 73% of those that voted believe that Rush have been past their best since Signals, yet if I say that I'm a troll...

It doesn't surprise me that you'd be the one to suss out the true purpose of my poll. I was trying to show that those who are getting maligned for not being anywhere near as big a fan of their newer material are in the extreme majority. It's an extreme minority who think their newer material is up to snuff with their vintage material.

So yes, so far we're at 73% voting either 2112 - Moving Pictures or A Farwell to Kings - Signals.

I would take it a step farther, however. I really think that Rush were brilliant and extremely consistent from 1974-1987. Less than 8% of people chose a grouping that includes anything from Presto onwards.

QUOTE (myturn2drive @ Mar 19 2012, 03:14 AM)
First, you read the pole wrong...it says best 5 "in a row"...if it had just been best 5, a lot of
People around here would have probably thrown in some newer albums

Your point is well taken, but the whole thrust was to determine what are people's general favorite period of Rush's music, not their top 5 albums.

To be fair, I don't think the "fanboys" mind us banging on about how much better "old Rush" is than the newer stuff, they're just fed up with it being rammed down their throats.

Personally I think I am providing a service, but hey-ho...

ph34r.gif

King Crimson Lizard reference intentional? confused13.gif

Hey-ho!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kings-Signals.

A close call, I guess it all comes down to which album do I like more: 2112 or Signals. In the end, I gotta' give the slight edge to Signals.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 19 2012, 01:48 AM)
Interesting. 73% of those that voted believe that Rush have been past their best since Signals, yet if I say that I'm a troll...

No, what makes someone a troll is saying that everything that came after Signals (or more commonly MP) sucks and that anyone who dares like anything after Counterparts is an idiot. Also, saying that everyone hates Neil, Neil hates his fans, and Neil ruined the band after losing his family. Those kinds of things makes someone a troll, not merely preferring one era over another.

I disagree with people who consider the band over and done with as of 1981, but I would never call someone a troll just for thinking that way. In fact, there is only one member here that I consider a forum troll, and I don't need to name names. Other people will have other opinions on the matter, but those are mine.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 19 2012, 03:53 PM)

No, what makes someone a troll is saying that everything that came after Signals (or more commonly MP) sucks and that anyone who dares like anything after Counterparts is an idiot. Also, saying that everyone hates Neil, Neil hates his fans, and Neil ruined the band after losing his family. Those kinds of things makes someone a troll, not merely preferring one era over another.

I disagree with people who consider the band over and done with as of 1981, but I would never call someone a troll just for thinking that way. In fact, there is only one member here that I consider a forum troll, and I don't need to name names. Other people will have other opinions on the matter, but those are mine.

Read my post above, Danny Boy. wink.gif

I picked Moving Pictures to Hold Your Fire. 3 of the albums in that lineup make up my top 5 Rush albums.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 19 2012, 10:04 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 19 2012, 03:53 PM)

Read my post above, Danny Boy. wink.gif

I hadn't gotten that far yet when I responded biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 19 2012, 04:40 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 19 2012, 09:27 AM)
http://i.imgur.com/bJkAZ.jpg
"The question clearly asks one to choose 5 albums in a row and yet the poll choices contain a mere two. Therefore I must conclude that this poll is illogical..."

facepalm.gif

http://i.imgur.com/SfqsB.jpg

"I put it to you sir that your 50s throwback persona is illogical..."

QUOTE (CruisingInPrimetime @ Mar 19 2012, 02:04 PM)
Hemispheres to Grace Under Pressure.

I'm surprised more people like 2112 than Signals. I would have thought AFTK to Signals would be the winner. Signals is like Moving Pictures part two.

2112 is their 2nd best selling album by a long margin. It's thought of as a HUGELY popular rock classic. And while I personally prefer Signals, 2112 is definitely in general held in higher regard.

Signals was a HUGE change from keyboard accents to keyboard domination, and the album lost them some of their existing fanbase. I think you're in the minority to think of it as Moving Pictures Part II. Most people don't see it that way at all, myself included.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 19 2012, 07:14 PM)
QUOTE (CruisingInPrimetime @ Mar 19 2012, 02:04 PM)
Hemispheres to Grace Under Pressure.

I'm surprised more people like 2112 than Signals.  I would have thought AFTK to Signals would be the winner.  Signals is like Moving Pictures part two.

2112 is their 2nd best selling album by a long margin. It's thought of as a HUGELY popular rock classic. And while I personally prefer Signals, 2112 is definitely in general held in higher regard.

Signals was a HUGE change from keyboard accents to keyboard domination, and the album lost them some of their existing fanbase. I think you're in the minority to think of it as Moving Pictures Part II. Most people don't see it that way at all, myself included.

Yeah, compared to MP, Signals sucks. confused13.gif

I like them both equally. Every song on Moving Pictures is totally different from the next. Signals is the same way. If you didn't already know, I'll bet you couldn't guess which songs are on which record. In my opinion, the quality of both records is the same, the only difference is slightly more keyboards on Signals.

Edit: This was in response to Tommy Sawyer and Rushgoober's posts. I forgot to quote them.

Edited by CruisingInPrimetime

2112 to MP. All of their best albums neatly packed together. As much as signals is a good album. I find that Rush and synth aren't as good as Rush and pure ass kicking rock. Edited by USB Connector

QUOTE (CruisingInPrimetime @ Mar 19 2012, 06:33 PM)
I like them both equally. Every song on Moving Pictures is totally different from the next. Signals is the same way. If you didn't already know, I'll bet you couldn't guess which songs are on which record. In my opinion, the quality of both records is the same, the only difference is slightly more keyboards on Signals.

Edit: This was in response to Tommy Sawyer and Rushgoober's posts. I forgot to quote them.

I think there's a lot more than SLIGHTLY more keyboards, but whatever. I love the keyboard era, and Signals is my favorite album (although I've been thinking lately that Hemispheres might replace it for the top spot with Moving Pictures dropping down to third), so I'm not complaining about the album in any way, shape or form, just that Signals is vastly different sounding than MP.

AFTK - Signals . Not many bands put out 5 albums in a row like that

I had to go with either 2112-MP or AFTK-Signals, and it therefore came down to which I like better: 2112 or Signals.

I eventually chose AFTK-Signals. Sorry, 2112.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 20 2012, 12:01 AM)
QUOTE (CruisingInPrimetime @ Mar 19 2012, 06:33 PM)
I like them both equally.  Every song on Moving Pictures is totally different from the next.  Signals is the same way.  If you didn't already know, I'll bet you couldn't guess which songs are on which record.  In my opinion, the quality of both records is the same, the only difference is slightly more keyboards on Signals.

Edit: This was in response to Tommy Sawyer and Rushgoober's posts.  I forgot to quote them.

I think there's a lot more than SLIGHTLY more keyboards, but whatever. I love the keyboard era, and Signals is my favorite album (although I've been thinking lately that Hemispheres might replace it for the top spot with Moving Pictures dropping down to third), so I'm not complaining about the album in any way, shape or form, just that Signals is vastly different sounding than MP.

I agree with Gary. There's a LOT more keyboards on Signals than MP, not just "slightly more," and Signals sounds a LOT different than MP.

I couldn't guess which tracks are on which album if I didn't already know? Nonsense! The difference between albums is so great, matching the songs to their respective albums is wicked easy.

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Mar 18 2012, 09:43 PM)
Tough not to vote for 2112 though MP but I did it.
You know I had to got with Caress Of Steel so I voted COS-PeW

I also went with this...

trink39.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 20 2012, 12:45 PM)
AFTK - Signals . Not many bands put out 5 albums in a row like that

Or 6 in a row if you include 2112

I can't think of any other band with 6 corkers on the bounce.