The Big Shift

HigherWater

I can't help but find it really funny that as the world media and assorted critics all seem to finally be accepting Rush into the fold, it's "loyal fans" are jumping off the bus in waves.

The hatred for every album made over the last 15 years is starting to really bum me out. You haters all have the right to your opinion and your right to spew it all over this forum; but damn, if you really think Rush is going to re-live the "glory days" as you see them, you should probably move on to another band. Rush is what Rush is: A progressive band that will always be moving forward (even if at a much slower pace).

After a long hiatus from Marillion, I finally came to grips with Mr. H. and now I deeply regret abandoning this band for so long in favor of my memories of what that band was "supposed" to sound like. They are AWESOME in both forms just as Rush is fantastic when they play Freewill and when they play Far Cry.

QUOTE (HigherWater @ Mar 14 2012, 08:54 PM)
I can't help but find it really funny that as the world media and assorted critics all seem to finally be accepting Rush into the fold, it's "loyal fans" are jumping off the bus in waves.

The hatred for every album made over the last 15 years is starting to really bum me out. You haters all have the right to your opinion and your right to spew it all over this forum; but damn, if you really think Rush is going to re-live the "glory days" as you see them, you should probably move on to another band. Rush is what Rush is: A progressive band that will always be moving forward (even if at a much slower pace).

After a long hiatus from Marillion, I finally came to grips with Mr. H. and now I deeply regret abandoning this band for so long in favor of my memories of what that band was "supposed" to sound like. They are AWESOME in both forms just as Rush is fantastic when they play Freewill and when they play Far Cry.

far cry no.gif

I think most fans like their newer stuff. Caravan and BU2B seemed to be very well recieved by the audiences. Those who don't are probably just part of a small but vocal minority.

(Also, great to hear that you got into H era Marillion. I can understand it if people don't like that era, but its annoying when some fans refuse to give them a chance.)

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Mar 14 2012, 08:10 PM)
Those who don't are probably just part of a small but vocal minority.

Exactly. Look at the polls here sometime - even Vapor Trails, which is supposedly hated by *everyone* doesn't perform that badly when you look at anonymous responses by a large number of people. But the very vocal minority would have everyone believe that nothing since Moving Pictures has been worth a damn, and everything since Counterparts is even worse than that.

I've always maintained that Far Cry and Caravan are modern RUSh classics!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 14 2012, 11:14 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Mar 14 2012, 08:10 PM)
Those who don't are probably just part of a small but vocal minority.

Exactly. Look at the polls here sometime - even Vapor Trails, which is supposedly hated by *everyone* doesn't perform that badly when you look at anonymous responses by a large number of people. But the very vocal minority would have everyone believe that nothing since Moving Pictures has been worth a damn, and everything since Counterparts is even worse than that.

Oh but you forget the "pressure" that RUSH fans feel on this forum to lie about their opinions, even in an anonymous poll. Plus this is a RUSH forum so of course the fans are going to ignore any faults the band has and say they like the new stuff even when it's obviously crap. And the view that the new stuff is crap is 100% fact, so you can't really dispute that! wink.gif laugh.gif

Obviously, I agree 100% with both of you on this!

trink39.gif

Well.....the Youtube numbers don't lie. Caravan has something like 2000 likes and 27 dislikes or some ridiculously positive number like that. The negative bunch on here(we all know who they are) need their own sub-forum so they can stew in their own misery and spare the rest of us from hearing their broken record rants about how we should hate everything from the last 25 years.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 14 2012, 10:26 PM)

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

I agree and I think BU2B is as good as Far Cry as well. 1022.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Mar 14 2012, 10:10 PM)

(Also, great to hear that you got into H era Marillion.
but its annoying when some fans refuse to give them a chance.)

The most annoying thing about us fans who won't give it a chance is H's weak, whiney, voice.

It's hard to give something a chance if you hate what you hear.

I still like Marillions music, but that hideously snively voice of H's turns me off every time.

So imagine the dilema of us the "haters". Here is something we want to love but just one factor (albeit a large factor) repels us.

Edited by Invisible To Telescopic Eye

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Mar 14 2012, 09:10 PM)
I think most fans like their newer stuff. Caravan and BU2B seemed to be very well recieved by the audiences. Those who don't are probably just part of a small but vocal minority.

yes.gif

Complainers are always more vocal. Especially on the internet where the bulk of them are just looking for attention. I'm not talking about anyone who ocassionally says "I don't like what Rush did with this or that". I'm talking about the people who never shut up about their dissappointment in something they've done. That stuff gets old real fast.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Mar 15 2012, 06:09 AM)

yes.gif

Complainers are always more vocal. Especially on the internet where the bulk of them are just looking for attention. I'm not talking about anyone who ocassionally says "I don't like what Rush did with this or that". I'm talking about the people who never shut up about their dissappointment in something they've done. That stuff gets old real fast.

goodpost.gif

And most of that contingent seems to be British.

unsure.gif

laugh.gif

I agree with everything here - I have my gripes with latter day Rush (most of S&A), but there is so much to love if one just opens one's mind and accepts the fact that Rush is a band that will forever change its sound and move in newer directions. I am sure when the synth-era albums came out, fans lamented that the band was finished, but look how well Marathon, Mission and Force Ten get received by fans during concerts. Even Stick it Out, which gets raked over the coals, seemed to get a rousing acceptance live if you go by the Time Machine DVD.

The band is still putting out great music -- in fact I find myself shuffling through their newer stuff lately in anticipation of the new album - Animate, Stick it Out, Driven, Time and Motion, One Little Victory, Earthshine, Secret Touch, Vapor Trail, Far Cry, The Main Monkey Business, Caravan, BU2B .... definitely latter day classics! 2.gif

Edited by wilb1972

It's the way world works.

The people with a problem speak out, and the content stay quiet because there's nothing to say.

If you're going to complain about Rush fans only, you need to realize that this is universal human psychology.

That being said, you seem to be complaining about critics yet giving them the right to be critics.

I don't get it.

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Mar 15 2012, 07:37 AM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Mar 15 2012, 06:09 AM)

yes.gif

goodpost.gif

And most of that contingent seems to be British.

unsure.gif

laugh.gif

Are you referring to NickSlick and KingTroll? It's almost like it's the same person. ph34r.gif

I admit that I am in the crowd of only loving the pre-Signals albums. But, I'm not going to waste my time bashing the other albums. In my opinion, they are good albums and enjoy listening to them (especially in a live setting). But at the same time, I rarely listen to them as there are SO many albums that I love by so many bands that I would rather hear.

The only "hate" I have is for Vapor Trails. Damn it sucked. No dynamics and weak melodies.

QUOTE (HigherWater @ Mar 14 2012, 09:54 PM)

:derail:

Happy to see you like the new Marillion. I just can't get into Mr Breathy. smile.gif

Fish will always be the voice of the best Marillion to me.

The only things I have a problem with in the last 15 or so years is the Production of VT and I think S&A sounds like REO Speedwagon trying to be a Metal band. I love the 2 newer songs and I am sure CA will kick ass.

QUOTE (Godot @ Mar 15 2012, 06:52 AM)
It's the way world works.

The people with a problem speak out, and the content stay quiet because there's nothing to say.

If you're going to complain about Rush fans only, you need to realize that this is universal human psychology.

That being said, you seem to be complaining about critics yet giving them the right to be critics.

I don't get it.

goodpost.gif

As a new Rush fan, who has spent the last 3 months working my way through the back catalogue, I've formed an opinion on the albums with a relatively open mind.

Interestingly, VT songs like One Little Victory and Secret Touch are among my favourite Rush songs, along with Far Cry and MalNar from S&A (and the classics, obviously!). I was surprised at the hatred towards Far Cry to be honest, but everyone's different I suppose laugh.gif

I for one am very much looking forward to Clockwork Angels. Long live 2.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 15 2012, 08:22 AM)
The only things I have a problem with in the last 15 or so years is the Production of VT and I think S&A sounds like REO Speedwagon trying to be a Metal band. I love the 2 newer songs and I am sure CA will kick ass.

SnA to me sounds like Rush trying to be a 60's band and I blame it all on that Feedback release that I haven't listened to since it came out. The last thing I want from Rush is folk and blues. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Mar 15 2012, 06:11 AM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Mar 14 2012, 10:10 PM)

(Also, great to hear that you got into H era Marillion.
but its annoying when some fans refuse to give them a chance.)

The most annoying thing about us fans who won't give it a chance is H's weak, whiney, voice.

It's hard to give something a chance if you hate what you hear.

I still like Marillions music, but that hideously snively voice of H's turns me off every time.

So imagine the dilema of us the "haters". Here is something we want to love but just one factor (albeit a large factor) repels us.

At least you listened to them and decided you didn't care for his voice. Unlike some fans who claim that once Fish left, the band was over and never bothered to listen to the h stuff.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 15 2012, 03:30 AM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 14 2012, 10:26 PM)

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

I agree and I think BU2B is as good as Far Cry as well. 1022.gif

i wish i could hear what your hearing. laugh.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 15 2012, 01:28 AM)
Well.....the Youtube numbers don't lie. Caravan has something like 2000 likes and 27 dislikes or some ridiculously positive number like that. The negative bunch on here(we all know who they are) need their own sub-forum so they can stew in their own misery and spare the rest of us from hearing their broken record rants about how we should hate everything from the last 25 years.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/smilies/exactly.gif

Here's part of the problem - and I say this from experience and education - there are some people who are angry that "their band" has had the audacity to grow older. RUSH has grown and matured and, with that, it has changed and evolved. They've experimented with different things and that only adds to the discomfort of those who don't want them to change. When someone is faced with something that makes them uncomfortable, they strike out against it. Even if it is something they profess to love. It's sad, really. Pitiable if it weren't so damned annoying.

Edited by HowItIs

QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 15 2012, 03:43 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 15 2012, 08:22 AM)
The only things I have a problem with in the last 15 or so years is the Production of VT and I think S&A  sounds like REO Speedwagon trying to be a Metal band. I love the 2 newer songs and I am sure CA will kick ass.

SnA to me sounds like Rush trying to be a 60's band and I blame it all on that Feedback release that I haven't listened to since it came out. The last thing I want from Rush is folk and blues. laugh.gif

I would say Rush's best blues album was their Zep sound off the original release.

I still love the mix of SnA. Best mix in years! And great song writing.