All the World's a Stage

Saint NIck

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 12 2012, 05:38 PM)
Exit Stage... Left is basically a greatest hits collection. The could've easily released the album with the studio versions of the songs with the live version of "YYZ" for the bonus drum solo.

Like I posted earlier, All the World's a Stage is the only Rush live album that offers worthwhile live versions of the studio recordings. There's a hunger and energy that is sorely lacking with later live albums. Maybe Rush in Rio...

than it's settled. rush will play atwas next tour. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 12 2012, 06:42 PM)
Exit Stage... Left is basically a greatest hits collection. The could've easily released the album with the studio versions of the songs with the live version of "YYZ" for the bonus drum solo.

Like I posted earlier, All the World's a Stage is the only Rush live album that offers worthwhile live versions of the studio recordings. There's a hunger and energy that is sorely lacking with later live albums. Maybe Rush in Rio...

Geddy can no do, that is, sing like that anymore!

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 12 2012, 05:45 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 12 2012, 06:42 PM)

Geddy can no do, that is, sing like that anymore!

i was off in dreamland. tongue.gif

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Mar 12 2012, 10:01 PM)
Like I posted earlier, All the World's a Stage is the only Rush live album that offers worthwhile live versions of the studio recordings.

No.

Okay.

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Mar 12 2012, 01:30 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Mar 10 2012, 03:27 PM)
QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Mar 10 2012, 10:52 AM)
I really enjoyed this album's version of Working Man, and 2112 wasn't bad. But it wasn't really an amazing live album to me. I prefer Exit Stage Left or even Time Machine.

To me ESL is so muffled. I rarely listen to it. The sound of ATWAS will always blow it away. JMO. trink39.gif

goodpost.gif

Totally agree. For the very reasons you mention ESL is by far my least favorite Rush live album.. It actually probably gets the least play of any Rush album (yes, even less than VT).

All the Worlds a Stage on the other hand is a wonderful album. Power packed and a lot of fun to listen to, of all their live work it is only surpassed by Rush in Rio.

Very, very strong album. Wish I could have seen the band in those days. (just not old enough to go on my own and my family's taste in music did not include Rush)

sad.gif

Well,

I was a year late to see that tour. 1287.gif But my first Rush concert was AFTK. biggrin.gif 653.gif 2.gif

Edited by troutman

I really enjoyed this album's version of Working Man, and 2112 wasn't bad. But it wasn't really an amazing live album to me. I prefer Exit Stage Left or even Time Machine.

To me ESL is so muffled. I rarely listen to it. The sound of ATWAS will always blow it away. JMO. trink39.gif

The latest version of Exit... Stage Left that is included in the Sector box sets sounds so good. It's like a thick gauze was wiped away. A Show Of Hands sounds really good too.

All The World's A Stage was the first album I bought by Rush. It will always be one of my desert island discs. You put it on. You turn it up. You get your ass rocked. My first exposure to the band was a couple of songs on the radio, but then I got this album on vinyl and my life was changed because here I am some 32 years later and ATWAS has never gotten old. 2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

uuuhhh I can see - what you mean...

I loved the album instantly when I first heard it in the late 70's!!!

This is the album that got me into Rush!

Not long after it was released, a friend who was one of those "you have to listen to this" types of people, who would put on an album...play maybe the first minute or two of a tune, then go "oh, you have to listen to this also" and take that album off, and put something else on, did this with ATWAS...He goes "you're a drummer, right? you have to hear this!" And actually let Working Man/Finding My Way play and go into the whole drum solo and into What You're Doing before taking the album off the turntable.

The next day I told my mother I had to get this album, so we grabbed the old Columbia House catalog and saw it on there, so she ordered it for me (snail mail the whole way) a few weeks later it arrived, and I think it stayed on my turntable for a week straight!

35 years later, it's STILL one of my favorite albums! (and it's easily accessible since it's on my iPod which is usually with me)

I would say Time Machine DVD offer at least as much energy as at least Rush In Rio.

Once they got to ESL I felt like they calmed down a lot since they didn't have anything to prove to anyone. They sound very mellow to me on ESL, tired or something. ESL is still great of course but ATWAS is definitely above that for me.

I dunno. I'm torn. I like both these periods of theirs but I LOVED ESL. Yes they had more energy with ATWAS but with ESL their level/expertise of playing was so beyond what they were doing back in '76. Seeing them perform Xanadu on the ESL video still makes me melt to this day, and it also makes me sad because it was their final show of the classic era; plus it was the last time we would see Geddy play the big Rickenbacker.

Now as far as the sound quality of the vinyl/CD's are concerned, ATWAS blows ELS away. A lot of the energy from ELS is squashed from a much inferior recording. So I guess on that note, if I had to choose which album to keep, it would be ATWAS. But I think they were a better band from AFTK to MP and ESL was a wonderful concert to showcase that period.

QUOTE (Majestyk @ Mar 12 2012, 10:06 AM)
I'm just unhappy with what Neil has done with the group since he's "assumed control".

This is the dumbest statement I have ever read on any forum.

What is this 1975??????

So you're essentially saying you hate anything the band has done from Fly By Night and on and you would have preferred their career to end with 'RUSH'...Which is what would have happened without Neil. Well they would have done one more album but not with Rutsey.

Lyrically, Neil DID assume control (thank goodness) but not musically.

In reference to Neil, I'm speaking of the year 2000 onwards..

Just finished up a brief drum work-out to Lakeside Park, 2112 and By-Tor & the Snow Dog. GOD this show absolutely rocks; these three tremendously talented young musicians in their early-to-mid 20's.

As I'm playing, listening to the headphones, so much is going on in my mind = playing along with The Professor, thinking of what it must've been like to be at Massey Hall for those 3 nights in 1976 and most important...it was just the begining of living legends still going 35 + years later in 2012.

QUOTE (Majestyk @ Mar 17 2012, 06:15 AM)
I like both these periods of theirs but I LOVED ESL. Yes they had more energy with ATWAS but with ESL their level/expertise of playing was so beyond what they were doing back in '76.

yes, thank you. ATWAS was a moment in time, just like ESL was. Both have tremendous qualities and both shows have greatness in their own way. I love 'em both, but frankly I'd rather listen to bootlegs from those eras.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Mar 17 2012, 07:47 AM)
QUOTE (Majestyk @ Mar 12 2012, 10:06 AM)
I'm just unhappy with what Neil has done with the group since he's "assumed control".

This is the dumbest statement I have ever read on any forum.

What is this 1975??????

So you're essentially saying you hate anything the band has done from Fly By Night and on and you would have preferred their career to end with 'RUSH'...Which is what would have happened without Neil. Well they would have done one more album but not with Rutsey.

Lyrically, Neil DID assume control (thank goodness) but not musically.

In reference to Neil, I'm speaking of the year 2000 onwards..

I shudder to think what RUSH would have been had Alex not re-asserted his presence.

Neil is Neil.

This album is so great.

As a musician, my ear hears the rawness, like being in the foundry with all the heat and dirt.

Not to mention, if you got this back in the day all those pictures in the LP spread were priceless. I had to buy another because I chopped it up to put pix on my wall.

ATWAS is 2.gif with all their intensity focused to make that great music.

I would pay dearly $$ to hear each of the full nights' recordings and even more for some video. Is there any ATWAS goodies in the Rush vault? Only time will tell.

QUOTE (Saint NIck @ Mar 10 2012, 09:15 AM)
Lately, I've been jamming to this; there's something very special about that 2112 tour, and to have those Toronto shows recorded onto disc & tape format.
Exit...Stage Left will always be my fave, but ATWAS is absolute top-notch.
When I attend Saints games in the Superdome, I always bring my Sony Walk-man to listen to the radio broadcast; but before the game and half-time I've been listening to ATWAS.
That raw, powerful intro into Bastille Day gets me charged, then into Anthem, Something for Nothing, 2112 and by all means By-Tor. I've been re-discovering the power of Working Man.
Within the last couple or so years, I've seen footage of that tour, including a performance of The Necromancer on Youtube...making something great even greater.
For those who may be in the know, is there any footage of 'Something', 'By-Tor' and the drum solo available from that tour accessible on video.
Thanks for your time.

Hey that version of Necromancer is pretty cool!

1022.gif trink39.gif

Exit Stage Left, I remember getting that when it came out, it was Halloween. I loved the vinyl gatefold sleeve and the cover with all the studio albums depicted on the front and back. The tracklisting was excellent too, like the ultimate RUSH song list. But the music itself was a bit disappointing, the mix is bass heavy, and a bit flat sounding, and most songs end with a crowd fadeout because they're from all different shows so it lacks atmosphere.

I didn't listen to it for about 20 years, I can listen to it now as my expectations are much less...

Rather than start another ATWAS thread, I am bringing this one back up.

Just listened to it from By-Tor until the end. Been thinking there really is something very special about the album. Can't put my finger on it. It may be the sound as it is very seventies' sounding, but not in a stale or dated way.

There's something very comforting about the album as well. Listening to ATWAS is like going home again.

• Like 5