Roll The Bones

jwoods89

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushlady23 @ Mar 10 2012, 08:46 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 9 2012, 11:21 AM)
This album licks Toad

laugh.gif

Bottom of my list, but not the very bottom.

Up is the only way to go after this for me laugh.gif

Edited by metaldad

I really enjoy Roll The Bones. I enjoy it far more than Presto. The songs are much better overall. Presto and Roll The Bones are very similar sonically but Roll The Bones is far better in the song writing department IMO.

I just recently picked up the Audio Fidelity 24K Gold Remaster and it is really good. So I have been listening to the album for the last few weeks. I forgot how good some of the deeper album tracks are like:

The Big Wheel

Neurotica

Heresy

Some all time favorite songs as well:

Dreamline

Bravado

Ghost of a Chance

And I love the title track.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 10 2012, 02:51 AM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Mar 10 2012, 05:51 PM)
This album gets dissed a lot, usually complaints about it having "no balls." To me, that's one of the silliest criticisms ever. It's music. Balls got nothin' to do with it. IMO. And, yes, I know what is meant by it - I just think it's silly.  confused13.gif

Some bands get dissed for producing music that's brainless. And entire styles of music get dissed for not having heart. So why is it silly that a single album of Rush's be dissed for not having balls?

Because that's such a vague and subjective thing. What does it even mean? Not loud? Not enough bass? Not "masculine" enough? It's just a useless modifier, IMO.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Mar 11 2012, 10:40 PM)
Bravado is still the best song ever wub.gif

cool10.gif

This was an album I really liked a lot when it came out but it has not aged well with me. The first two Rush albums i bought were Power Windows and HYF, both of which I loved (and still).

I then started to work through their back catalog. Then out came Presto which was a disappointment to me. Then along came RTB. Loved it at first!! Over the years however, as I said above, it has not aged well so its not near the top of my Rush catalog anymore. Closer to the bottom then the top at this point.

Dreamline and Bravado I still like a lot. The Big Wheel I still consider to be a very good song. After that - a lot of stuff that is okay but nothing that I will go crazy for. Of course, if I heard one of those songs actually played on the radio it would get cranked up - Rush is Rush after all and even an okay song from Rush is far better than most of the music done by most other bands.

In short, not bad but not anything special (by Rush standards).

QUOTE (jwoods89 @ Mar 9 2012, 02:00 AM)
I know this isn't one of Rush's most popular albums but damn is it good! I just got it in the mail today and I am listening to it currently and on the last track and I really love this album. I think they really sort of got back to the basics on this one honestly. Not as many synths except on a few songs and the instrumentation is amazing. My favorite cuts from it are currently, Dreamline, Bravado, Roll The Bones, Where's my Thing?, Ghost of a Chance, The Big Wheel, and Neurotica. What are all of your thoughts on this album?

It is not very good. A few songs and the rest a big 'meh'.

Too bad Presto did not have its production values though.

It's on the high end of the middle of the pack for me; in other words, not as much of a fave as the synth era albums, but not far behind. Comments:

Dreamline - Love it, and love being on the move, so "we're only at home when we're on the run" hits home for me.

Bravado - my third favorite Rush song.

RTB - enjoyable, don't mind the "rap" at all, clever lyrics.

Face Up - LOVE, and LOVE even more to sing along with! "I get so angry, but I keep my mouth shut...and turn it up!" so accurately describes how I feel - I'm easily wound up, so if I don't take measures like the song illustrates to defuse my anger, I don't keep my mouth shut, and I end up in deep s***. The song itself is a constructive outlet.

Where's My Thing - okay, not as cool as LTTA, but still cool.

The Big Wheel - love Geddy's vocals, the hopeful second chances.

Heresy - hits home because "people buy the things they want, and borrow for a little more" is what I enable people to do at my job all day (or I give them the bad news that they can't).

Ghost of A Chance - love the sound of this one and the rare relationship-oriented angle of it. I'm probably a bit more mystical than the song describes, yet I love how it basically says "love doesn't need any help". That's a pretty powerful comment about love, eh?

Neurotica - I don't care what you all think, I LOVE IT! This is another one in the vein of Face Up where Rush is telling us to calm down (and if there's anything I need to do, it's that). I don't often listen when anyone else tells me to, but I'll listen to Rush, haha!

You Bet Your Life - gets repetitive at the end, but full of a rich cast of characters. Very descriptive of the different types of people.

QUOTE (Barry @ Mar 13 2012, 10:55 PM)
My 7 years old's favorite RUSH song is Roll the Bones...for what it's worth!

He/She gets a Pass , only 7 laugh.gif

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Mar 14 2012, 07:36 PM)
It's on the high end of the middle of the pack for me; in other words, not as much of a fave as the synth era albums, but not far behind. Comments:

Dreamline - Love it, and love being on the move, so "we're only at home when we're on the run" hits home for me.

Face Up - LOVE, and LOVE even more to sing along with! "I get so angry, but I keep my mouth shut...and turn it up!" so accurately describes how I feel - I'm easily wound up, so if I don't take measures like the song illustrates to defuse my anger, I don't keep my mouth shut, and I end up in deep s***. The song itself is a constructive outlet.

Heresy - hits home because "people buy the things they want, and borrow for a little more" is what I enable people to do at my job all day (or I give them the bad news that they can't).

Ghost of A Chance - love the sound of this one and the rare relationship-oriented angle of it. I'm probably a bit more mystical than the song describes, yet I love how it basically says "love doesn't need any help". That's a pretty powerful comment about love, eh?

Neurotica - I don't care what you all think, I LOVE IT! This is another one in the vein of Face Up where Rush is telling us to calm down (and if there's anything I need to do, it's that). I don't often listen when anyone else tells me to, but I'll listen to Rush, haha!

You Bet Your Life - gets repetitive at the end, but full of a rich cast of characters. Very descriptive of the different types of people.

You truly are amazingly forgiving of Rush, even in some of their weakest moments.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 16 2012, 07:31 PM)

You truly are amazingly forgiving of Rush, even in some of their weakest moments.

I was scratching my head at the "You Bet Your Life" review. A rich cast of characters isn't really something I look for in a song, but whatever floats her boat.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Mar 17 2012, 12:22 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 16 2012, 07:31 PM)

I was scratching my head at the "You Bet Your Life" review. A rich cast of characters isn't really something I look for in a song, but whatever floats her boat.

imho, Rush will never make a song worse than YBYL. Yes, even Dog Years beats the dogshit out of that tune. From it's too poppy feel to it's very forced wordplay, I just can't like it. Oh well. As long as someone does, that's good enough I guess.

It certainly starts stronger than it finishes, but I don't understand those who think it's "terrible". Its much more listenable than most of VT and S&As for a couple different reasons.

My biggest problem with RTB is the oft-mentioned Rupert Hine wimpy-sounding production. Some songs on the last half of the album have little power to them at all, Alex's guitar is just tinny background noise.

If RTB had more of a Counterparts beefier sound, it would get more respect.