All instrumental CD

losingit2k

Should Rush release an all instrumental CD?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Should Rush release an all instrumental CD?

• Yes
    • No

I think if it had a few new instrumentals it would be fine!

Track List:

2112 Overture

Clockwork Angels Instrumental

New Instrumental

New Instrumental 2

Where's my Thing?

Leave that thing Alone

Limbo

Main Monkey Business

Clockwork Angels Instrumental 2

New Instrumental 3

Hemisphere's (Prelude)

Didacts and Narpits

MalNar

Hope

La Villa Stangiatto

YYZ

2112 Finale

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was in an interview during the S & A tour as a passing thing,I remember! They just asked him since Rush had so many instrumentals now would they considered making an album with all their instrumentals and Geddy relpied: that he's always thought that would be a good idea, and it was left at that. I can't remember where it was but it was a live interview, Maybe I saw it on youtube or something.

confused13.gif

I think it would be an awesome idea, but would they ever do it? no.gif

To clarify, I don't think they'll ever do it because I think it's extremely highly probable that this will be their last album. Consider the average 5 year gaps between albums. I just don't see them doing an album in 5 years, if for no other reason than Geddy's failing voice.

That said, that would be the main argument FOR doing an instrumental album. I think more likely, the only way they might do it is if they do an R40 tour, and then maybe they'd consider an album (or more likely a shorter EP) of instrumental tracks.

Since they have said so many times that touring is where the money is, they obviously will never again make an album without touring, and since they're not going to tour in 5 more years, they could potentially do it prior to an R40 farewell tour to have a product to tour with. Then again, they've toured many times now without a product, so unless they're somehow hugely inspired to do an instrumental album because they really want to, even though they'd make no money from it (read: HIGHLY doubtful), it just won't happen.

Add to that, that I would imagine instrumental tracks are harder to put together than tracks with vocals, and the answer remains a solid NO.

Edited by rushgoober

confused13.gif

That doesn't mean we can't put together our own.... wink.gif

QUOTE (Snowman @ Feb 21 2012, 07:50 AM)
Yes, but only with previously not released instrumentals! cool.gif

Yeah, I can make a playlist of the existing instrumentals in minutes. Why would I pay for that?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 21 2012, 01:45 AM)
I think it would be an awesome idea, but would they ever do it? no.gif

To clarify, I don't think they'll ever do it because I think it's extremely highly probable that this will be their last album. Consider the average 5 year gaps between albums. I just don't see them doing an album in 5 years, if for no other reason than Geddy's failing voice.

That said, that would be the main argument FOR doing an instrumental album. I think more likely, the only way they might do it is if they do an R40 tour, and then maybe they'd consider an album (or more likely a shorter EP) of instrumental tracks.

Since they have said so many times that touring is where the money is, they obviously will never again make an album without touring, and since they're not going to tour in 5 more years, they could potentially do it prior to an R40 farewell tour to have a product to tour with. Then again, they've toured many times now without a product, so unless they're somehow hugely inspired to do an instrumental album because they really want to, even though they'd make no money from it (read: HIGHLY doubtful), it just won't happen.

Add to that, that I would imagine instrumental tracks are harder to put together than tracks with vocals, and the answer remains a solid NO.

I think you missed the OP's idea. He is saying a "greatest hits" cd with all instrumentals. Not a brand new CD of all new music, although I'd love that but I agree, it probably won't happen.

I once posted a poll if Geddy couldn't sing would people be cool with them doing an all instrumental album and if I remember correctly the majority said they'd be cool with an all new all instrumentals album. Again, that happening. Not likely.

BUT a greatest hits of instrumentals?

How have they not released one called simply "Instrumental" blows my mind. I never buy greatest hits records but I'd buy that one. I can't believe of all the greatest hit records out there, they haven't taken this approach, and I am talking the record companies, not as much RUSH.

My one buddy said he hates Rush lyrics and voice. He said if he could just listen to their instrumentals that would be awesome.

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Feb 21 2012, 06:55 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 21 2012, 01:45 AM)
I think it would be an awesome idea, but would they ever do it?  no.gif

To clarify, I don't think they'll ever do it because I think it's extremely highly probable that this will be their last album.  Consider the average 5 year gaps between albums.  I just don't see them doing an album in 5 years, if for no other reason than Geddy's failing voice.

That said, that would be the main argument FOR doing an instrumental album.  I think more likely, the only way they might do it is if they do an R40 tour, and then maybe they'd consider an album (or more likely a shorter EP) of instrumental tracks. 

Since they have said so many times that touring is where the money is, they obviously will never again make an album without touring, and since they're not going to tour in 5 more years, they could potentially do it prior to an R40 farewell tour to have a product to tour with.  Then again, they've toured many times now without a product, so unless they're somehow hugely inspired to do an instrumental album because they really want to, even though they'd make no money from it (read: HIGHLY doubtful), it just won't happen.

I think you missed the OP's idea. He is saying a "greatest hits" cd with all instrumentals. Not a brand new CD of all new music, although I'd love that but I agree, it probably won't happen.

I once posted a poll if Geddy couldn't sing would people be cool with them doing an all instrumental album and if I remember correctly the majority said they'd be cool with an all new all instrumentals album. Again, that happening. Not likely.

BUT a greatest hits of instrumentals?

How have they not released one called simply "Instrumental" blows my mind. I never buy greatest hits records but I'd buy that one. I can't believe of all the greatest hit records out there, they haven't taken this approach, and I am talking the record companies, not as much RUSH.

Ah, gotcha, my bad!

Consider my post still valid, just for a different non-existent thread! tongue.gif

unsure.gif

A huge Yes vote for "Instrumental". This is a drum I beat often (pardon the pun), as I'm a huge fan of the band's MUSIC. That's not to say I don't appreciate Neil's lyrics or Geddy's voice, just that the expert musicianship within their songs is the first and foremost reason why I like Rush. I would definitely buy an all-new album of instrumentals. I would also buy a greatest hits album of instrumentals if it contained at least one new track (or at the very least I would download the new track(s). In case of the latter, I think it would be very interesting for them to include some of their lyrical songs with the vocal track removed (which would make an interesting topic for another poll).

I don't think this would sell at all . 50,000 copies if they are lucky . The label would never make their money back.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 21 2012, 03:22 PM)
I don't think this would sell at all . 50,000 copies if they are lucky . The label would never make their money back.

If they made a "greatest hits" instrumental album I think it would do as well as any other greatest hits albums. I personally, do not buy any greatest hits albums, even if they have a remix or a live version of a song. I just download them if I can, or if not, I live without the additional remix or live song added to a greatest hits CD.

That said, if RUSH put out a "greatest hits" instrumental album with one or two NEW, not on any other album, instrumentals, then I think they would sell more than enough to make a profit and way more than 50K copies. IMO.

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Feb 21 2012, 02:56 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 21 2012, 03:22 PM)

If they made a "greatest hits" instrumental album I think it would do as well as any other greatest hits albums. I personally, do not buy any greatest hits albums, even if they have a remix or a live version of a song. I just download them if I can, or if not, I live without the additional remix or live song added to a greatest hits CD.

That said, if RUSH put out a "greatest hits" instrumental album with one or two NEW, not on any other album, instrumentals, then I think they would sell more than enough to make a profit and way more than 50K copies. IMO.

If a Brand New studio album from Rush sells 250,000 copies [which is what V.T and S&A sold each] What makes you think people will buy an all Instrumental album??

Like it or loathe it Rush are guitar, bass, drums, synth and VOICE. When they started they were guitar, bass, drums and VOICE.

Why would you want to insult Geddy Lee and Neil Peart by having them release an album without vocals?

QUOTE (Tony R @ Feb 21 2012, 04:13 PM)
Like it or loathe it Rush are guitar, bass, drums, synth and VOICE. When they started they were guitar, bass, drums and VOICE.
Why would you want to insult Geddy Lee and Neil Peart by having them release an album without vocals?

The OP's thought was a "greatest hits" of RUSH instrumentals already in existence, with maybe a new one or two added to entice you to buy it. Not necessarily RUSH making an brand new instrumental only album.

For someone like myself, who never buys any RUSH greatest hits albums, I would buy one if it had all their instrumentals and 2 new ones, not available on any other album. But that is just me.

I agree that it would suck if they made an album with no vocals, but then again, if that was the only way they could release new stuff, ie. Geddy literally couldn't sing at all, I would definitely buy it.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Feb 21 2012, 04:38 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Feb 21 2012, 04:13 PM)

The OP's thought was a "greatest hits" of RUSH instrumentals already in existence, with maybe a new one or two added to entice you to buy it. Not necessarily RUSH making an brand new instrumental only album.

For someone like myself, who never buys any RUSH greatest hits albums, I would buy one if it had all their instrumentals and 2 new ones, not available on any other album. But that is just me.

I agree that it would suck if they made an album with no vocals, but then again, if that was the only way they could release new stuff, ie. Geddy literally couldn't sing at all, I would definitely buy it.

trink39.gif

This is exactly what I ment. I thought the track list gave it away!

confused13.gif