Most hated chores?

Mara

Which aspect of housework do you hate most?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which aspect of housework do you hate most?

• Floors/vacuuming
    • Laundry
    • Dishes
    • Dusting
    • General kitchen
    • Other (please elaborate)

And I know this is NWW, but I know plenty of men post in here and many of you guys are also involved in housework. So feel free to chime in.

Me, I HATEHATEHATE laundry. I'd love to have a service to do it. How in the hell do those of you with kids manage - I am continually stunned at how much dirty laundry two people generate. I run AT LEAST one load a day. Woe unto us if I skip a day, because then I find myself facing down Mt. St. Laundry.

Don't mind floors, because that's just a weekly thing, plus you see the results and it gives you a nice sense of accomplishment. Dishes are no big deal - five minutes tops to unload the dishwasher.

I swear, sometimes I feel like a slave to the freakin' laundry. I did, however, finally explain to my husband that bath towels can be used more than once. I mean, dude, you're clean after a shower unless you are doing it wrong. And trust me, if that were the case, I'd have clued you in on that a long, long time ago.

ETA: Crap, I meant to add an "other, please elaborate" option. Any mods checking in here - could you please stick that in? Thanks!

Edited by Mara

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doing the show notes for my podcasts. Oh... housework. Toss up between General Kitchen and Laundry. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't still have a kid at home - once they're both in school, I think it'll be better because I won't have to try to do all that stuff at the same time the little one is running behind me making messes immediately after I clean them. It's a vicious cycle.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 13 2012, 01:14 PM)
I'm going to say laundry, but the actual loading and unloading of the machines is not much of a hassle -- what I hate is folding the clean clothes and putting them away, and I will put that chore off for as long as possible.

I think my wife has the same hang up as you. She is supposed to maintain the "magic hamper". I put dirty clothes into the magic hamper, and the clothes are supposed to reappear clean and folded in my dresser. But the hamper is broken, and too often, my clean clothes end up on the couch waiting to be folded. angry.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Feb 13 2012, 05:48 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 13 2012, 01:14 PM)
I'm going to say laundry, but the actual loading and unloading of the machines is not much of a hassle -- what I hate is folding the clean clothes and putting them away, and I will put that chore off for as long as possible.

I think my wife has the same hang up as you. She is supposed to maintain the "magic hamper". I put dirty clothes into the magic hamper, and the clothes are supposed to reappear clean and folded in my dresser. But the hamper is broken, and too often, my clean clothes end up on the couch waiting to be folded. angry.gif

Define "dirty". My husband's definition is "I wore it for a half-hour." rage.gif

I also use the sofa to sort and fold. DH told me that he likes to hang his shirts a certain way and that I can leave them for him. Um, no, because if left to his own devices, he'd just live off the stack of shirts draped over the back of the sofa. I periodically have to "remind" him of his promise to put them away by doing it myself, in which case they are hung however the hell I feel like it.

And Snowdog, have you ever made the mistake of complaining to your wife that she accidentally mismatched a couple pairs of nearly-identical black socks? Yeah, guess who now has a drawer full of loose socks!

QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 13 2012, 05:22 PM)
My husband's definition is "I wore it for a half-hour." rage.gif

My wife is like that about most of her clothes and *all* of the kids' clothes. My 3-year-old can wear a pair of pants for an hour, and it might have the tiniest little smudge of whatever on it, and it *must* be washed as soon as he takes them off. My 6-year-old, same thing - my wife insists that all the clothes be washed ASAP.

Me, I'll wear the same pair of jeans for a week. If they aren't visibly dirty and don't smell bad, I see no reason to wash them after every use. I'm a pretty sedentary person (which is nothing to brag about, I'm just sayin') so it's not like I'm working up a sweat in my jeans all the time.

I had a conversation with someone years ago about socks and shoes. I don't even remember how it came up, but I jokingly said, "why bother washing socks? You're only going to put them on and stick them into the shoes that you've never washed since you bought them three years ago". laugh.gif

I guess laundry is the universal blah chore, because I HATE it! It's NEVER totally done. As soon as I get the 10 loads together, washed, dried and folded another 10 loads magically appear. It never ends. With dusting and vacuuming, you do it and it's done for a while.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 13 2012, 12:14 PM)

You and I are two peas in a pod buddy.

laugh.gif

A pile of clean clothes will sit on the chair till I get a sudden urge to fold and put them away... or until I run outta clean clothes to wear.

Another vote for laundry. I sort them, take them downstairs, put em in the washer, then the dryer, then the basket, and it ends there. Now I have a bedroom full of baskets fully of wrinkly clothes. Then I take the wrinkly clothes downstairs and start over again. Why can the clothes just put themselves away?

The only thing that comes close to laundry is taking the bag of garbage to the curb. I've lived in this house for sixteen years, and for sixteen years they pick up the garbage on Wednesday morning... but I still can never get that bag out there on the right day.

Dishes, because they pile up more than any other chore (I do Hickory's cat.gif dishes by hand, rather than putting them in the dishwasher with mine, so I end up with a sinkful pretty fast, smelling like dead cat food). I'm not sure why I don't put hers in the dishwasher - am I afraid the plastic dishes are going to warp? Maybe.

Laundry's not a big issue unless Hickory's puked on something bulky like the comforter and bedding. I'll wear clothes (except underwear) more than once, unless I've spilled on them.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Feb 13 2012, 09:13 PM)
Folding clothes is literally the most pointless, worthless task ever invented; and for what purpose?

yes.gif I don't mind doing the washer/dryer stuff.

But folding? 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Feb 13 2012, 10:30 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Feb 13 2012, 09:13 PM)
Folding clothes is literally the most pointless, worthless task ever invented; and for what purpose?

yes.gif I don't mind doing the washer/dryer stuff.

But folding? 062802puke_prv.gif

Folding is the work of Satan.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Feb 13 2012, 07:53 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 13 2012, 05:22 PM)
My husband's definition is "I wore it for a half-hour."  rage.gif

My wife is like that about most of her clothes and *all* of the kids' clothes. My 3-year-old can wear a pair of pants for an hour, and it might have the tiniest little smudge of whatever on it, and it *must* be washed as soon as he takes them off. My 6-year-old, same thing - my wife insists that all the clothes be washed ASAP.

Me, I'll wear the same pair of jeans for a week. If they aren't visibly dirty and don't smell bad, I see no reason to wash them after every use. I'm a pretty sedentary person (which is nothing to brag about, I'm just sayin') so it's not like I'm working up a sweat in my jeans all the time.

I had a conversation with someone years ago about socks and shoes. I don't even remember how it came up, but I jokingly said, "why bother washing socks? You're only going to put them on and stick them into the shoes that you've never washed since you bought them three years ago". laugh.gif

Likewise - I get 3 or 4 wearings out of a pair of jeans unless I spill on them. (Summers I wash them far more often, as it's likely I've sweated on them, yuck).

I hang my towel neatly on the rack after using it, so it's dry by the time I shower again after a workout. (Yes, 2 showers/day). Towels are usually good for a few days.

I used to hate the laundry until I got a new front-loading set (as a gift!!) that does almost everything for me except put the clothes in and take them out. And folding. I try to get that done as fast as I can which is easier now that 1) my husband folds his own (oh yeah, that's what happens if you complain about how I do it) and 2) my daughter does her own.

The chore I hate is vacuuming/floors. Mostly because I can't do it. It's the one chore that completely toasts my back, makes my arthritis flare up. So I have to wait until one of them decides that the carpet/floor is too dirty. You can imagine how often THAT happens. eyesre4.gif

Anyone want to earn a few bucks? We own a Rainbow vacuum..... confused13.gif

The list in the poll doesn't worry me - apart from a bit of kitty litter land mines.

Dust itself, however - good point - where does it go, where does it come from, and why is it, no matter what you do, that you end up with far more than what you started with..?

QUOTE (rushlady23 @ Feb 14 2012, 01:42 PM)
Ironing

What's that? laugh.gif

That's a big plus to working for a company whose dress code includes jeans and concert t-shirts. No dry cleaning and no ironing.