The Owl reviews every Rush album

The Owl

I'd rate Circumstances, The Trees, and La Villa all as 10/10. The song Hemispheres would get an 8.5/10. I think the Apollo/Dionysius part goes on for too long, and Geddy's vocals annoy me towards the end. The Prelude is amazing, as is Armageddon. The Sphere is a good way to end the song too.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay time for the albums that made to radio set, today is

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/51/Rush_Permanent_Waves.jpg/220px-Rush_Permanent_Waves.jpg

Permanent Waves

- Track 1: The Spirit of Radio

What to make of this iconic track other than epic, from the opening 16th note riff, to the lyrics, "clap along" section w/ orchestral bell accompany, and even the reggae closing section.. this song is just as epic and memorable as any of the side long rush tracks..... This is just a song that rocks from start to finish, and this is damn fun to sing along to....I got spirit how bout you? (Okay, that was lame)

(10/10)

- Track 2: Freewill

A track who's lyrics could cause some controversy, but personally ring very strongly with me...and Ill consider it amazing. Musically this astonishing, great riff at an odd time signature at the start, that drives the song through it's run. The solo section is great, and Alex owns it here, with a nice subtle change to almost the same riff, but bass led now...I like that very much. And when Geddy comes back in on vocals....HOLY S*** hit those notes! All capped off by a great ending..

(9.5/10)

- Track 3: Jacob's Ladder

Nice snare lead into the song, something a bit different. The whole opening section is fabulous. Love the heaviness of the first half, albiet it does get a bit repetitive and could be shortened a bit, but a very small detraction. It is in the second half that we get about as much "prog" we're gonna get on this album as a whole, the synth here is good, but the distorted vocals....umm, a bit weird, but not bad on the whole, the section is great. The guitar riff leading into the closing section with the synth continuing is just as great, all leading into a nice tidy closing... Great progressive track, despite a couple tiny bumps

(9/10)

- Track 4: Entra Nous

This intro is about as great as any Rush has made, and if it were not for SoR, this would have made a great opening track. Before the S&A tour this might have been a fly by song, but it's inclusion on that setlist made me appreciate this track a bit more.... the lyrics in this song.....WOW are among Neil's best. "Each of us a world apart, alone and together like two passing ships" Amazing. I like the acoustic/bass setup during the chorus, which adds great depth to the track. The solo is not my favorite, and the build towards the solo section kind of feels unfulfilled, but the layering of synth/bass, and guitar here make up for a lackluster solo.

(9/10)

- Track 5: Different Strings

Another Rush ballad, does this one work or fall into the pattern of killing the momentum of an album? With DS, it actually works...IMO Very rich guitar, good lyrics, and drums (when they come in) drive the song nicely. I like the work on the keys on this track, very subtle, but noticeable and helps the rich layering present in the song. The ending is pretty cool in terms of the guitar, but I would have preferred the track to end on somewhat of a note, rather than a long fadeout. Not my favorite Rush track, but among the better of the soft ballads. It dosen't do anything wrong that I can tell, but it dosen't excell in any other area (music/lyrics/or otherwise) above anything else on this album... A very "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of track" but still worthy of a ....

(8.5/10)

- Track 6: Natural Science

I am gonna start this off and get this out of the way quick, while Natural Science may not be my personal favorite Rush track (though it would be in my top 5), I am of the opinion that this is their BEST all time track (narrowly over Xanadu), the song is just phenomenal from the starting acoustic beginning in "Tide Pools" with just Geddy and Alex... to the driving and melodic "Hyperspace" and the phenomenal ending in "Permanent Waves". Neil demonstrates his evolving abilities a lyricist throughout this track. All playing is top notch on this track from amazing solos, to great drumming, and unbelievable bass playing, and smooth transitions from section to section. The last section "Permanent Waves" is another of those musical sections you can just get lost in. It's not a wonder this track is a live staple, it is among their most technical and complex tracks, and is as close to a flawless piece of music that Rush has released....

(10/10)

--------------------------------------Overall Review/ Final Thoughts----------------------------------

As big as a progressive rock fan, when you look at Rush's discography you'll notice a leap from the last album from a full progressive masterpiece, to more "prog-tinged" contemporary rock (for the late 70s early 80s) album... you would expect something to appeal less to you, no? You couldn't be more wrong.... Hemispheres is a hard album to top, but this album just about succeeds in doing so, and Permanent Wave could just about be considered Rush's best overall album, but that's a matter of opinion. There are very few hiccups on this album, but other than what I've mentioned I have nothing but praise to lavish on this record... 35 and a half minutes of near perfection.

Neal's lyrics here deserve a great deal of praise, it is nice to see him move away from the fantasy elements that were ascribed to his lyrics on the last few albums, into something more in depth. Not that I did not like the lyrics on the previous album, I did, but seeing him evolve as a lyricist, demonstrated by the lyrics on this album show someone who is ever growing in talent... yet someone who is still yet to peak as a songwriter.

One last note I want to mention is the production value of this album is bar none the best we've seen so far (of the albums Ive reviewed) Terry Brown deserves special Kudos for the production on this album, which is quite a step above the previous records...

Overall Album Score 97/100

I should also state that while the individual song scores are taken into account for the final album score; the final album score is not merely an average of the song scores.

Natural Science is just a perfect song. For me personally, it is the best of the epics and the culmination of everything that they did previously. Hemispheres is good, 2112 is great, Natural Science is perfect!

Hey, you're back with the reviews! I thought you were dead in a ditch somewhere. tongue.gif

Great review of PeW! The only place I'd really disagree is that I'd give Jacob's Ladder an easy 10/10. You said "Love the heaviness of the first half, albiet it does get a bit repetitive and could be shortened a bit, but a very small detraction." I don't get that at all, but it's a minor quibble.

Also, while I would also rate Natural Science a 10/10, I don't think it's their best track, and certainly not better than the mighty Xanadu, but again a minor quibble - it's an awesome, epic track. yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 11 2012, 07:00 PM)
Hey, you're back with the reviews! I thought you were dead in a ditch somewhere. tongue.gif

Yeah, last week was crazy for me, wound up with 18 hours of overtime, and went out of town for the weekend... hard to crank out a review..

Sorry, but I just cannot see NatSci getting a 10/10.

The most overrated Rush song IMO. confused13.gif

Between it and Jacob's Ladder, PeW only gets maybe 80 or 75 in my book. Too bad, because the other 4 tracks are perfect 10/10s. yes.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Mar 11 2012, 10:20 PM)

Between it and Jacob's Ladder, PeW only gets maybe 80 or 75 in my book. Too bad, because the other 4 tracks are perfect 10/10s. yes.gif

Overrated? You're insane.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Mar 11 2012, 08:35 PM)

And Different Strings BETTER than Jacob's Ladder & NatSci? fing.gif

I agree with your review. In my view, this album and MP are the apex of Rush's career. The albums that come after and before them have lots of great material, but none are as solid from start to finish.

I've always thought Different Strings was a great ballad. I never understand why it doesn't get more love for just being what it is.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 12 2012, 12:13 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Mar 11 2012, 08:35 PM)

And Different Strings BETTER than Jacob's Ladder & NatSci? fing.gif

yes.gif As Rick N. Backer said, it's better at being what it's supposed to be than, JL or NatSci.

Of course, just my opinion. YMMV

Permanent Waves review is 100% spot on.

PeW IMO is their best, most solid and well produced album (over MP because I'm not a big fan of Witch Hunt, which IMO is MP's weakest link).

Keep up the great work on the reviews!

Busy week at work couldn't get around to the next review.. Gonna try and increase the reviews so I have them done just before CWA comes out..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/4a/Moving_Pictures.jpg/220px-Moving_Pictures.jpg

Moving Pictures

-Track #1: Tom Sawyer

Kicking things off great with what is un-deniably Rush's greatest hit.... is it overrated? Not really, and while this song is far from my personal favorite track, or even my top 10 tracks, this is still a phenomenal song, and worthy of the praise it gets. It does just about everything it does at a top knotch scale, great layering, solos (especially from Neil), lyrics, and all around playing.... one thing to note, (as with the rest of the album) is a stronger focus on synth work, something that will play heavily in years to come.

(9.5/10)

- Track #2: Red Barchetta

One of my favorite Rush tracks lyrically... absolutely love the mental imagery Neil portrays with the words of this song. Love the bass in this song and moreso than the main guitar riff drives the song along. And while not totally obvious on the face of the song there is some very nice complexity going on through the main body of the track, very technical and complex rhythmically....leading to a great fadeout and transition into the next track

(10/10)

- Track 3: YYZ

Rush's second instrumental is just as solid as their first one "La Villa Strangiato" 2 albums ago. And while I personally might like La Villa a tad better. YYZ demonstrates the same technical and playing ability that the members of the band can achieve. A special nod to what can arguably be considered as Alex Lifeson's best solo... Just a phenomenal track... proving further why this is another of Rush's greatest hits.

(10/10)

- Track 4: Limelight

We hit yet another track that has graced every single Rush compilation and tour since it's release, and I am happy to report this deserves just as much praise as it's counterpart "Tom Sawyer" IMO. From the instantly recognizable opening guitar riff, to the stellar ending this song just does not stop. Lyrics are once again great, Geddy is hitting great high notes. Antother great solo midsong, but I feel the song does drop off a bit in the last minute or so, with the repetition of the main chorus, but is made up for in an aforementioned strong ending.

(9/10)

- Track 5: The Camera Eye

Ahhh, Rush's last 10+ minute track.... is it as good as it's predecessors, to the point that until late is was the most requested song to hear live? We shall see. The intro is great, and we again see the direction Rush will take on the next few albums with a heavy synth lead... but more on that in the overall thoughts section. The synth leads into some of Alex's greatest guitar work yet seen (or rather heard). Through the main vocal body of the track there is some great layering of sounds from the band which gives the note that this track is contains some of the most technical music the band has released, which probably explains why they avoided doing it live until recently. This song is VERY VERY good, and worthy of praise it gets, but somehow it lacks the feel of being a Mini-Epic...and just rather a 10 minute song, it could be the lack of having distinct subsections, or no major theme changes (other than the first 3 minutes or so). It certainty makes the most out of the 10 minutes it gives, but I wouldn't define it as a "mini-epic" like you could classify some other Rush songs of this legnth, but rather just a very good 10 minute song. A great track, but not as good as what Rush has done before.

(9/10)

-Track 6: Witch Hunt

Part 3 of the Fear Trilogy begins with a very nice fade in, and gives a very ominous and frightening feeling to the track, leading very effectively into a very powerful main guitar riff. That and another set of amazing lyrics give the powerful feel that this has and that I think Neal ment for it to have. They synth work in this track only emphases that. Indeed the only qualm I have with this track is that it does feel a bit disconnected from the rest of the album, but that's a very minor detraction. It ends a bit short and abruptly, but is still one of my favorite Rush tracks

(9/10)

- Track 7: Vital Signs

The most synth heavy track on this album is also probably (not probably...is) the weakest song on the album, indeed the weakest track of the last few albums. It's not bad, far from. My biggest qualm here is that the guitar is a bit underused and takes a backseat to the synth. The bass work in this track is amazing though... good job there. Sometimes bland and repetitive, in both areas of singing and playing. Vital signs is also not the best way to end what is almost a perfect album... just not a strong song, nor album closer. I could have given half a point or so back to this track if it was mid-album, but as an album closer it is just weak.

(7.5/10)

Well Moving Pictures, Rush's most well known, and arguably the best album they have produced. Is it overrated; as good as previous albums, or albums to come? The short answer is yes, and while I consider their previous album "Permanent Waves" their best album, "Moving Pictures" is practically just as good as it's predecessor, and some may argue a bit better, but that is where we can delve into opinion.

"Moving Pictures", other than the weak ending, is an almost perfect and phenomenal album, and a short wonder why the majority of it is usually present on compilations and on live set lists...it is just that damn good. The quality in terms of production quality, playing ability, lyric writing, solos, sound layering....etc that were all present and perfected on "Permanent Waves" are all present and maybe even improved upon here. And I also need to give a special nod to the truly great nature of Side 1 of this album, while not my favorite (that would be side 1 of "A Farewell To Kings") is clearly and unarguably the best album side seen on any of the vinyl Rush releases.

Lastly I want to go further to the area I touched on a few times in my song reviews, and that is the increased use of Keyboards and Synthesizers in Rush's music... more noticed in "Tom Sawyer", "Witch Hunt", "The Camera Eye" and in "Vital Signs". This as you all know will be a trend that will increase and be more common on the upcoming albums, but here, on Moving Pictures they are used wonderfully. I feel that the keys enhance the music, add depth, and play their part appropriately, by being present but not being a dominant instrument and not giving the guitar the back seat. (other than the closing track). My feelings on the synth and the synth on coming albums are my own, and you might have a totally different opinion, but the level they are at here on Moving Pictures is perfect...and helps make this album what it is, and deserving of the score of.....

96.5/10

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Mar 16 2012, 04:17 PM)
BS. Vital Signs is one of most original sounding and dynamic songs Rush has ever recorded. Best on the album for me.

and Tom Sawyer and Limelight are both 10s. I dont care how played they are.

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Mar 16 2012, 06:17 PM)
BS. Vital Signs is one of most original sounding and dynamic songs Rush has ever recorded. Best on the album for me.

I like it a lot too. And I think it works well as a closer both dynamically and, especially, lyrically, as it delivers a great message to close out the album with.

First off, Tom Sawyer and Limelight are not just perfect 10's, they're better than most Rush songs that would get a perfect 10. We're talking maybe 15/10 for Tom Sawyer and 14/10 for Limelight. At a certain point all we can talk about is levels of perfection, but anything less than a 10 for those tracks is unfair IMHO. They are beyond reproach. Witch Hunt might not be a 14 or 15 out of 10, but it's a solid 10 out of 10. yes.gif

And I completely disagree that Vital Signs is the weak point on the album - that would go to The Camera Eye due do its slightly repetitive nature and lack of thrilling lyrical subject matter, but even then the song is a solid 8.

I'd probably give every track on the album a 10, except TCE an 8, or maybe more fairly an 8.5, and Vital Signs maybe a 9. Actually Vital Signs probably deserves a 9.5. It only suffers a TINY bit because every song on side one and Witch Hunt from side 2 are so ridiculously out of this world outstanding that it pales (only slightly) in comparison. Put Vital Signs on a weak album like say Presto and it's by FAR the best track.

Side one of MP is literally the best album side of all time by any group, so it rates 10/10, and more realistically, 15/10. Side two gets a solid 9/10 at least.

Edited by rushgoober

Thanks for all the feedback on the last 2 reviews....

Regarding Vital Signs, I don't dislike the track, I just don't find it as a strong song.... my opinion and mine own... maybe a 7.5 was a bit harsh...it could go closer to an 8, but not much more in my book..... possibly an 8.5 if not the last track on the album...

though

Put Vital Signs on a weak album like say Presto and it's by FAR the best track.

is really a valid argument..

oh well

gonna try and crank these out a bit quicker, and try to do Signals by Sunday.

Edited by The Owl

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Mar 16 2012, 06:17 PM)

Yep, I feel the same way. one of their best.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 17 2012, 12:55 AM)

Regarding Vital Signs, I don't dislike the track, I just don't find it as a strong song.... my opinion and mine own... maybe a 7.5 was a bit harsh...it could go closer to an 8, but not much more in my book..... possibly an 8.5 if not the last track on the album...

though

oh well

It's an outstanding closer. That long fade-out is one case where it works and perfectly closes out the album with a dark and foreboding feel while foreshadowing the direction they will go next. The "Signals get crossed" line pretty much is a lead in to their next album. I'd say it closes the album brilliantly. In the top five album closers easily (I'd only put La Villa, Natural Science, Cygnus X-1, and maybe Available Light above this one as a closer.)

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Mar 17 2012, 02:04 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 17 2012, 12:55 AM)

though

oh well

It's an outstanding closer. That long fade-out is one case where it works and perfectly closes out the album with a dark and foreboding feel while foreshadowing the direction they will go next. The "Signals get crossed" line pretty much is a lead in to their next album. I'd say it closes the album brilliantly. In the top five album closers easily (I'd only put La Villa, Natural Science, Cygnus X-1, and maybe Available Light above this one as a closer.)

It's not so much a closer as it is a transition to Signals.