The Owl reviews every Rush album

The Owl

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 22 2012, 11:18 AM)
QUOTE (Geddyleegenes @ Feb 22 2012, 09:05 AM)
As for "I Think I'm Going Bald"; I can't help but think that some don't recognize the song for the sense of humor with which it was written.  While many consider the song a joke, that's actually how the song was intended.  Neil was sick and tired of listening to Alex worrying that he was going bald and so alluded to that lyrically.  Musically, the song rocks.

I think most people who dislike the song, like me, realize it's a joke. The question is, is it funny? wink.gif

No, seriously though, the question is, does it belong in a Rush song? For me it's a huge no. I can appreciate a good sense of humor at least as much as the next person, but I don't want to hear a joke song by a band as talented as Rush. It just doesn't work. It's way too goofy.

I would only question whether or not it's meant to be funny. The only Rush song I would consider a joke song is 'A Passage To Bangkok'. The sentiment in the lyrics are actually quite thoughtful and insightful, not that goofy at all really. Great rocker.

Some of you on here are ridiculous. The only thing wrong with this album is the cheesyness of I Think I'm Going Bald and the length and slight disjointedness of Fountain of Lamneth.

BD - classic rush, badass.

Lakeside - rush getting better at songcraft

Necromancer - epic guitar, epic scope.

Far better than any album in the late 80s

I've always hated Lakeside Park. One of the lamest Rush songs. Bastille Day is good, but I think it gets a little too much credit as well. ITIGB is a fun tune, but ultimately forgettable and basically a joke. The Fountain of Lamneth is a fantastic song, with each part contributing to an interesting and "otherworldly" sounding epic. Didacts & Narpets is pretty stupid though, they should've done something a little more natural sounding there.

The Necromancer is probably the most controversial song on the album. It's pretty unique, and each part works well together. The narration works for me for some reason...it must be that mid 70's charm that makes it okay.

I'd rate this album a 6/10 as a whole, mainly on the strength of Lamneth, Bastille Day, and The Necromancer

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Feb 25 2012, 03:30 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 24 2012, 11:26 PM)
QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Feb 24 2012, 04:49 PM)
I've always hated Lakeside Park. One of the lamest Rush songs.

eyesre4.gif

no.gif

yes.gif

It's like Superconductor and Second Nature's lame older brother

Superconductor - lame

Second Nature & Lakeside Park - not lame

That said, Lakeside Park is a MUCH better song (top 20 or 25 Rush song) than Second Nature.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 23 2012, 12:07 AM)
If you don't get it, you just don't get it.

The way it is simply doesn't work for me,...

The latter, yes. Personal preference. Different strokes. Fair enough. trink39.gif yes.gif bekloppt.gif

The former? sarcasm.gif eyesre4.gif wtf.gif new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif moon.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Feb 25 2012, 06:39 AM)

The latter, yes. Personal preference. Different strokes. Fair enough. trink39.gif yes.gif bekloppt.gif

The former? sarcasm.gif eyesre4.gif wtf.gif new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif moon.gif

I don't mean that as an offensive statement. If you don't get it, you don't get it. Similarly, if I don't get what you see in a particular song you love, I just don't get it. It's all good. trink39.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Feb 23 2012, 08:52 PM)
Going through some computer issues right now, gonna TRY and get the 2112 review out tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to yours and anyone else's views, being this is my favorite album.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 25 2012, 10:23 AM)
QUOTE (goose @ Feb 25 2012, 06:39 AM)

I don't mean that as an offensive statement. If you don't get it, you don't get it. Similarly, if I don't get what you see in a particular song you love, I just don't get it. It's all good. trink39.gif

1287.gif

wink.gif

QUOTE (Capt starman @ Feb 25 2012, 11:27 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Feb 23 2012, 08:52 PM)
Going through some computer issues right now, gonna TRY and get the 2112 review out tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to yours and anyone else's views, being this is my favorite album.

yes.gif

Right on!! 2112 is also my favorite Rush album. Looking forward with great anticipation.