The Owl reviews every Rush album

The Owl

Another great review! trink39.gif

I agree with you that Big Money is a good opening track. It turned out to be an even better live track, one that I hope they bring back to the setlist. I also agree with your assessment that many of the selected synth noises are particularily dated. Not nearly as much as the ones from HYF, but a step in that direction.

Now as far as Middletown Dreams... This is a track that I used to skip, but it's aged well for me, and has become my favorite track, along with Mystic Rhythms. I was also suprised that you didn't mention the use of a full choir on this album. This is a feature I really like, and have always thought it would be cool of the boys recruited the help of local choirs to pull off one of these tracks live.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Mar 23 2012, 12:30 AM)
But a nice plus to this track for actually having the first guitar solo I've noticed on the album..

Both Afterimage and Red Sector A have terrific solos. How can you miss them?

In Owl's defense, when I first listened to the album back in '84 I was surprised and disappointed after side 1 in that there were no guitar solos in the traditional sense. I guess you could call them that but I think they would be more accurately described as rhythmic guitar passages (great too btw) rather than traditional guitar solos of which there's really only 3 on the whole album.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Mar 19 2012, 02:25 PM)
You were too generous. confused13.gif Signals is nothing special, GUP beats it by 1000 miles.

I got to agree. Every song GUP is a 10 in my world. Also, I think Owl underrated 'New World Man' quite a bit...great tune! One of my favorites on Signals.

I like how Signals is getting alot of discussion in here for some reason.... For some reason that was an album of debate when I was doing my Caress of Steel review, and now that Im almost to Hold Your Fire, it is still a point of contention

QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 30 2012, 10:42 AM)
I like how Signals is getting alot of discussion in here for some reason.... For some reason that was an album of debate when I was doing my Caress of Steel review, and now that Im almost to Hold Your Fire, it is still a point of contention

It's probably because in general, it's a highly regarded album, but the Sigs haters (like me) have shown up in force here. tongue.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 18 2012, 06:08 PM)
"Signals" overall is a mixed bag of tracks that mostly range in the good-fantastic range, and sprinkled with a few tracks that are just "mediocre".  It is a good album, and while I think anyone would agree that it does not hold a candle to the previous 2 releases, it is certainty a worthy followup...  I give Signals a score of .....

86/100

Perhaps I'm showing my age based bias (I was in high school when this was released) but I think you underrate this album. To this day, I rate this Rush's third best album, behind PeW and MP. I think it is much better than AFTK, which you rate considerably higher. I think Digital Man is a great musical track, and, while I'm probably in a very small minority, I've always enjoyed Countdown. Chemistry is the only song I've never been crazy about. I think Signals strikes a pretty good balance with the synth influence, with the synths being perhaps only a hair too much in the forefront. Not enough to turn me off of the songs though.

I have kept quiet for some time now in here and I will only chime in to say THANK YOU to The Owl for your excellent reviews.

These really have been some of the more interesting reviews since Deckkiller started, and unfortunately never completed, his review of all of Rush's material.

Does not matter if I agree or disagree with the reviews. I find them very well written and enjoyable. Looking forward to HYF (the album that got me into Rush). Keep up the good work. They are a real pleasure to read.

Again, THANK YOU.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 16 2012, 08:20 PM)
And I completely disagree that Vital Signs is the weak point on the album - that would go to The Camera Eye due do its slightly repetitive nature and lack of thrilling lyrical subject matter, but even then the song is a solid 8.

Sorry for touching kinda late on this subject, only just saw the thread, but Goobs, you're mad.

QUOTE (GuitarKid 1880 @ Apr 4 2012, 10:03 PM)
And I completely disagree that Vital Signs is the weak point on the album - that would go to The Camera Eye due do its slightly repetitive nature and lack of thrilling lyrical subject matter, but even then the song is a solid 8.

Sorry for touching kinda late on this subject, only just saw the thread, but Goobs, you're mad.

I actually agree with him. I feel Camera Eye is a bit overrated compared to the other epics. Still very good, but not as good as their earlier epics.

I plan on getting back to the reviews soon, but I've had a busy week at work and am gonna be out of town all weekend... look for HYF early next week....

My goal was from the start to get all of them done before Clockwork Angels comes out, and I still intend on that....

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Apr 4 2012, 09:06 PM)
QUOTE (GuitarKid 1880 @ Apr 4 2012, 10:03 PM)

I actually agree with him. I feel Camera Eye is a bit overrated compared to the other epics. Still very good, but not as good as their earlier epics.

Not "as good" at all...better!

pokey.gif

Let's get this one out of the Way

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8c/Rush_Hold_Your_Fire.jpg/220px-Rush_Hold_Your_Fire.jpg

Hold Your Fire

- Track #1 Force Ten

You know this is not a bad opening track, good bass line, good drive, and a good overall feel.... the synth sound that plagued me on "Power Windows" is thankfully gone, and why still a song in the synth dominated period, the synth does feel like it's starting to decline, a theme that will run through the album...good track... far from perfect but good..

- Track #2: Time Stand Still

Another strong track, it has that 80s anthemic feel right off the start, and alot of the playing feels a bit dated, but only just, and no where as bad as much of the songs on the previous album... The female backing is different, but neither a plus or minus.. The lyrics are strong, and the choral sections defiantly carries some power. Great song, despite the slightly dated feel, and one of the best off this album.

- Track #3: Open Secrets

There is some good guitar at the beginning and in spurts throughout the song, but that is only good thing to be said about this very mediocre song...not impressed with the lyrics or the basic song structure... The light rock pseudo kenny-g esk softness is really starting to bother me... believe me the guitar in this salvages it from being a "bad song" and just a "less than mediocre"....very disappointing after two very solid first tracks.

- Track #4: Second Nature

Where's the rock? Am I listening to Rush? This is seriously a track by the same band that recorded "Spirit of Radio" and "2112"?! I can almost repeat the same as I said about the previous track....minus the good guitar, but some decent lyrics at least...and some decent rhythmic patterns as well...but that's all

- Track #5: Prime Mover

At least you can call this track a rock song, and like "Time Stand Still" it has that late 80s anthemic feel, or almost 80s film soundtrack feel, but falls short of being as good as Time Stand Still.... but still much better than the last two songs. The lyrics are pretty good as well, though the song goes on about a minute too long.... upper side of mediocre in my book..

- Track #6: Lock and Key

Is this the soundtrack a sci-fi film? What am I listening to? There are some good moments in this song. Some complex rhythms and come good playing, and a very good (albiet short) solo, but the other half of this song is pissing me off and giving me the same feeling as "Open Secrets" and "Second Nature".

- Track #7: Mission

Oh thank you rock gods, a good song, a really good song, the best song on the album, and one of the best songs of the synth era IMO... Amazing lyrics, great playing, and some actual diversity from one part of the track to the other... A great subtle solo, and an amazing swell that leads into the final minute of the song...........that feels better..

- Track #8: Turn The Page

"On a long and lonesome highway, east of Omah"........oh wait, wrong Turn the Page.... To tell you the truth, this song is not that bad either...better than mediocre at least. There is some great bass work going on throughout the track, and some great layering of sounds.... The synth work, when it comes in is kind of bad and almost makes it sound like some of the other tracks on this album, but it is used sparingly... thankfully. Good track, not fully solid, but good IMO.

- Track #9: Tai Shan..

Can I skip this track, I don't have to write a long write up to let you know it sucks right? If I must......... This song takes all my grips from previous tracks and rolls them all into one, not a rock song in the slightest, new age world light pseudo-rock bullshit.... f**k this song.. You might say Dog Years is the worst Rush song, at least that song had somewhat of a redeeming quality musically..... WORST RUSH SONG EVER!

- Track #10: High Water

Okay album, you bi-polar of an album, please help me wash the taste out of my mouth after that last track... Okay, you're sort of doing it...I like the rhythms you have going on, and some good guitar at the start.....but no. Kind of "Lock and Key" there are some good moments, and awful moments.... when you have riffs and driving guitar, you are good and I am liking it, but when you go into that light-rock world music experimental bullshit you annoy the hell out of me... I'd rate you about the same as "Lock and Key" better than alot of this album but no where as strong as the good stuff on the record, and defiantly a very weak album closer.

--------------------------------Final Thoughts/ Overall Review---------------------------------------

Thank the gods of rock that is over.... like the song reviews? Very mixed I know... about half (well a little less than half) is actually very good IMO, the other half......well sorry to say it...is utter shit. Unlike "Power Windows" where I found that nothing off that record stood out and grabbed ahold of me as stellar music, "Hold Your Fire" actually has a few tracks that I actually like.....but also unlike "Power Windows" who's songs fell in mostly with mediocrity, there were no truly cringeworthy moments on that album (other than the synth tone) nor songs that I would label as "terrible"..... "Hold Your Fire" has such moments.... A truly Bi-Polar of an album, of great highs and terrible lows.... so you would think I could rate this on average the same as "Power Windows"... you would be wrong... I found, despite my qualms "Power Windows" at least fully listenable, wheras on HYF there are tracks I find utter-ably unlistenable. I cannot in all honestly give this the same score I gave "Power Windows" despite the tracks I enjoyed..

On one side note however there was, and one thing I want to point out is that I did enjoy (even on the crap songs) the complexity in the drumming and rhythms coming from Neil... it may have not been rock or rock drumming, but I can appreciate the technicality in some of the playing he demonstrated through the album.

Overall Album Score: 69/100

.......that album was a damn chore....

I hardly listen to this album in full from start to finish, because of what I don't like about it.... I usually toss the songs I do like into a playlist from time to time....

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 10 2012, 07:32 PM)
heh.... 69

...an idea that is mot often a pleasant experience...but when taken a bit too far, sometimes leaves a nasty taste in one's mouth.

Sums up HYF for me.

Refreshingly honest review, Owl.

Edited by goose

FINALLY A RELEASE DATE FOR CWA on June 12th...

I can finally accurately pace the rest of these reviews. If I do a review every 10 days up until the release date from here on in it will look like this

April 10th-- Hold Your Fire

20th- Presto

30th- Roll The Bones

May 10th- Counterparts

20th- Test For Echo

30th- Vapor Trails

June 9th- Snakes and Arrows

--------

That is as even as I can space the reviews out, and I plan on following this not exactly but pretty tentatively, and I don't plan on doing a Clockwork Angels review on Release day either..... I'd like time to get a feel of it before do a review....

But thanks for all the feedback on the reviews so far, it's been fun.

Let me start off by saying I like most of your reviews thus far

but that last review, reading each individual song review was like a knife to the gut, same with power windows. I don't understand what everyone's problem is with the synth albums

2.gif

QUOTE (brizzy @ Apr 12 2012, 03:54 PM)
I don't understand what everyone's problem is with the synth albums

2.gif

They're not Rush albums. Only half of Hold Your Fire is rock music, some of which isn't even good rock.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 12 2012, 04:29 PM)

2.gif

They're not Rush albums. Only half of Hold Your Fire is rock music, some of which isn't even good rock.

No, those people are either:

a) Old

cool.gif Stuck in the past

c) Don't have the ability to appreciate diverse musical styles

d) All of the above

Edited by savagegrace26

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Apr 12 2012, 06:33 PM)

2.gif

a) Old

d) All of the above

I am neither old nor stuck in the past. But when I want to listen to Rush.... I want to 1022.gif

If I wanted to mellow out I'll listen to ABBA and Neil Diamond 1287.gif

I don't hate the synth era albums, hell Signals, and most of Grace Under Pressure are amazing albums overall, despite a few small qualms I had with them... But the quality fell off starting at Power Windows, and reached really bad lows on HYF.... Im sorry, but half of that album was garbage....

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 12 2012, 11:04 PM)
QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Apr 12 2012, 06:33 PM)

2.gif

a) Old

d) All of the above

I am neither old nor stuck in the past. But when I want to listen to Rush.... I want to 1022.gif

If I wanted to mellow out I'll listen to ABBA and Neil Diamond 1287.gif

If you cannot jam to any one of the rush albums, then youre not fully appreciating their talent and diversity.

How big of a fan can a person even be if they can't appreciate the different styles of rush?

I just don't get it, every one of rush albums is exceptional and they have their own styles. That being said people that don't like the synth rush or the newer rush albums or whatever they don't like cant' fully appreciate the "rush" genre, which has gone in many different directions at different points in their career, but has shined brilliantly throughout their whole career.