Studio Only Songs

New Digital Man

On Neils new DVD he states that some songs they write are only ever intended to be created and recorded in the studio and unlike the majority are not intended to be performed live! He mentions this whilst talking about Witch Hunt as this was one of them so i was wondering what others may fall into this category? I would say Emotion Detector and Open Secrets for sure and probably Middletown Dreams although the latter was performed live on a couple of occasions only i believe, so any guesses to others?

Afterimage, probably. You Bet Your Life, almost certainly. Neurotica. Dog Years. Countdown. Tai Shan. I'm not double checking past set lists, but none of these are on live albums and I've not heard of them being played (though I could be wrong). Rivendell? Madrigal? Different Strings?

Pretty much anything that has never been played live, especially on the tour that supported the album, was probably written that way. They have played long enough shows for enough years that they could have played every song if they wanted to.

I think there is a website, Power Windows I believe it is called, that has a list of all the songs the band have not performed live.

If I remember correctly, all of Grace under Pressure has at some point been performed live.

from Power Windows:

ALBUM TRACKS NEVER PERFORMED LIVE

Take A Friend

Before And After

Making Memories

Rivendell

The Fountain Of Lamneth

Lessons

Tears

Madrigal

Different Strings

Losing It

Emotion Detector

Open Secrets

Second Nature

Tai Shan

High Water

Chain Lighting

Anagram

Red Tide

Hand Over Fist

Available Light

Face Up

The Big Wheel

Heresy

Neurotica

You Bet Your Life

Cut To The Chase

Alien Shore

Speed Of Love

Everyday Glory

The Color Of Right

Totem

Dog Years

Carve Away The Stone

Peaceable Kingdom

The Stars Look Down

How It Is

Vapor Trail

Sweet Miracle

Nocturne

Freeze

Out Of The Cradle

Bravest Face

Good News First

We Hold On

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 27 2012, 01:04 PM)
Afterimage, probably. You Bet Your Life, almost certainly. Neurotica. Dog Years. Countdown. Tai Shan. I'm not double checking past set lists, but none of these are on live albums and I've not heard of them being played (though I could be wrong). Rivendell? Madrigal? Different Strings?

Pretty much anything that has never been played live, especially on the tour that supported the album, was probably written that way. They have played long enough shows for enough years that they could have played every song if they wanted to.

Afterimage and Countdown were played live on their respective album tours.

... I just hope that Cut to the Chase and half of the "unplayed" Vapor Trails tracks (Peaceable kingdom, Out of the Cradle, Vapor Trail, Sweet Miracle) are not part of that list.

I've read that Alex quote about Madrigal and Different Strings - although I hope they reconsider rearranging the latter. Maybe Losing It is another one of those tracks. And Tai Shan sure is!

I remember a rumor many years ago (decades?) that claimed the existence of a bootleg with Fountain of Lamneth on it. Has that been proven false or has any member of Rush categorically denied playing it?

Vapor Trail because of they Geddy going "hey hey hey heyyyyy hey hey hey heyyyaa" in the background during the chorus. It's too bad because I really want to see it live.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Jan 27 2012, 05:19 PM)
Vapor Trail because of they Geddy going "hey hey hey heyyyyy hey hey hey heyyyaa" in the background during the chorus. It's too bad because I really want to see it live.

He doesn't actually have to say heyyy hey hey heyy during the concert it can just be Alex.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jan 27 2012, 02:01 PM)
from Power Windows:

Take A Friend
Before And After
Making Memories
Rivendell
The Fountain Of Lamneth
Lessons
Tears
Madrigal
Different Strings
Losing It
Emotion Detector
Open Secrets
Second Nature
Tai Shan
High Water
Chain Lighting
Anagram
Red Tide
Hand Over Fist
Available Light
Face Up
The Big Wheel
Heresy
Neurotica
You Bet Your Life
Cut To The Chase
Alien Shore
Speed Of Love
Everyday Glory
The Color Of Right
Totem
Dog Years
Carve Away The Stone
Peaceable Kingdom
The Stars Look Down
How It Is
Vapor Trail
Sweet Miracle
Nocturne
Freeze
Out Of The Cradle
Bravest Face
Good News First
We Hold On

This is a striking list (for me) in that, aside from maybe a couple of songs, there is nothing really left on it anymore that makes me say "man, they need to play that live".

My bucket list was pretty much fullfilled with Entre Nous and Presto.

The majority of songs from this list seem left off for pretty good reason.

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Jan 27 2012, 05:27 PM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Jan 27 2012, 05:19 PM)

He doesn't actually have to say heyyy hey hey heyy during the concert it can just be Alex.

As far as I know when it looks like Alex is talking into the mic it's not really his voice coming out. Otherwise I would be shocked and amazed concerning what I saw during Time Stand Still during the TM Tour. There are also a few layers of guitars (I think, clipping makes it hard to tell).

QUOTE (eshine @ Jan 27 2012, 04:43 PM)
from Power Windows:

Take A Friend
Before And After
Making Memories
Rivendell
The Fountain Of Lamneth
Lessons
Tears
Madrigal
Different Strings
Losing It
Emotion Detector
Open Secrets
Second Nature
Tai Shan
High Water
Chain Lighting
Anagram
Red Tide
Hand Over Fist
Available Light
Face Up
The Big Wheel
Heresy
Neurotica
You Bet Your Life
Cut To The Chase
Alien Shore
Speed Of Love
Everyday Glory
The Color Of Right
Totem
Dog Years
Carve Away The Stone
Peaceable Kingdom
The Stars Look Down
How It Is
Vapor Trail
Sweet Miracle
Nocturne
Freeze
Out Of The Cradle
Bravest Face
Good News First
We Hold On

This is a striking list (for me) in that, aside from maybe a couple of songs, there is nothing really left on it anymore that makes me say "man, they need to play that live".

Interesting... that there is about 25-30% of their catalog. Give or take.

I remember an interview with Alex (tried to find it, but couldn't) where he said, "The Fountain Of Lamneth, did we write that?" Apparently no one, not even the band can remember playing it. That blows my mind because I have a very good memory, but I guess it has been 40 years and they have played thousands of shows.

I would love more Vapor Trails songs. I would really love to hear How It Is because after the heavy and dark beginning of the album that song finally gives us a glimmer of hope. I remember playing it in the car and my wife was about to insist I play something else and then that one came on and she said, "That one is pretty good."

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 27 2012, 05:57 PM)
from Power Windows:

Take A Friend
Before And After
Making Memories
Rivendell
The Fountain Of Lamneth
Lessons
Tears
Madrigal
Different Strings
Losing It
Emotion Detector
Open Secrets
Second Nature
Tai Shan
High Water
Chain Lighting
Anagram
Red Tide
Hand Over Fist
Available Light
Face Up
The Big Wheel
Heresy
Neurotica
You Bet Your Life
Cut To The Chase
Alien Shore
Speed Of Love
Everyday Glory
The Color Of Right
Totem
Dog Years
Carve Away The Stone
Peaceable Kingdom
The Stars Look Down
How It Is
Vapor Trail
Sweet Miracle
Nocturne
Freeze
Out Of The Cradle
Bravest Face
Good News First
We Hold On

And by the same token, there are bands that have played 9-100% of their recorded output (not including bands that have only ONE albums out either)

A friend of mine from several years ago was an Oasis fan (for some crazy reason) and his "goal" was to get copies of boots with every song that they ever did live...I think he said that there were only about 4 that they hadn't done at that point....Dave Matthews is another band that I know only has a few that they've never played live. I guess in the old "attitude" of Rush when they made that "album only" track with the serious overdubbing, etc. it was just something that they COULDN'T do live because of the soundscape they made...but when technology caught up to them (i.e. when they started playing Witch Hunt) that attitude should have waned, not that I want to HEAR everything off of some of the albums live (VT. T4E, and RTB songs are over played IMHO) but there are a few I'd love to hear live from the past!

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 27 2012, 05:57 PM)
from Power Windows:

Take A Friend
Before And After
Making Memories
Rivendell
The Fountain Of Lamneth
Lessons
Tears
Madrigal
Different Strings
Losing It
Emotion Detector
Open Secrets
Second Nature
Tai Shan
High Water
Chain Lighting
Anagram
Red Tide
Hand Over Fist
Available Light
Face Up
The Big Wheel
Heresy
Neurotica
You Bet Your Life
Cut To The Chase
Alien Shore
Speed Of Love
Everyday Glory
The Color Of Right
Totem
Dog Years
Carve Away The Stone
Peaceable Kingdom
The Stars Look Down
How It Is
Vapor Trail
Sweet Miracle
Nocturne
Freeze
Out Of The Cradle
Bravest Face
Good News First
We Hold On

I realise that all of these songs haven't been played live but don't necessarily agree that they were not all intended to be played live which was the point of my post, for instance i don't see what would stop them playing something like Chain Lightning live which is not swamped by samples and overdubs whereas something like Emotion Detector would be extremely hard to reproduce in a live setting to the quality the band would expect due to these very reasons!

I'm pretty sure that "Losing It" was the last song they released with the sole purpose of being a studio piece and never playing it live. I'm sure the ones that followed were simply left off of setlists due to not having enough time to fit them in. And since they never rotate setlists, these unplayed songs just fell by the wayside in subsequent tours as the "hits" became the more likely choice as a particular album's live representation.

I wonder if Rush ever regrets not being more adventurous with their sets. They only had one setlist throughout the entire goddamn Presto and HYF tours. Would it have killed them to shuffle more songs around on a nightly basis?

Edited by GrandDesigner

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Jan 28 2012, 03:19 PM)
I'm pretty sure that "Losing It" was the last song they released with the sole purpose of being a studio piece and never playing it live. I'm sure the ones that followed were simply left off of setlists due to not having enough time to fit them in. And since they never rotate setlists, these unplayed songs just fell by the wayside in subsequent tours as the "hits" became the more likely choice as a particular album's live representation.

I wonder if Rush ever regrets not being more adventurous with their sets. They only had one setlist throughout the entire goddamn Presto and HYF tours. Would it have killed them to shuffle more songs around on a nightly basis?

I like how a lot of bands do that these days...and from what I can tell, it's not like the backline people and lighting guys have a whole lot to do since everything is pre-programmed now...Hell, Dream Theater proved that you can put on a different crazy show every night confused13.gif

Zappa and the Grateful Dead were doing it YEARS ago....

The official studio only songs were:

Tears

Madrigal

Different Strings

Witch Hunt

Losing It

This info was from the Visions biography. It was believed at the time they were recorded that they werent able to be performed faithfully live. Of course, new technology allowed WH to be performed later. Rush apparently abandoned the one studio track per album starting with grace under pressure.

Also, Vapor Trail was rehearsed and ready to go as a back up song for the VT tour. So was Nocturne.

rofl3.gif Neil is so confused! Doesn't he remember that he once said that about Witch Hunt, only do find a way to do it live with the Simmons drums? rofl3.gif

He also forgot that they did The Camera Eye on the Moving Pictures tour in 1981. I SAW it (front row) for anyone who does not believe this is true.

I don't think Rush should rule out certain songs to be played live. Or songs that they "used to do" (Something For Nothing, Fly by Night, etc.) This is very closed minded. Look at Jethro Tull. Look at the Moody Blues. They play songs they have not done in ages from all of their albums. And they may do a song they have never done live. Led Zeppelin did that at the 2008 reunion when they did Hots On For Nowhere, which had never been done live before. They should have also done Carouselambra! common001.gif

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Jan 28 2012, 03:37 PM)
QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Jan 28 2012, 03:19 PM)

I like how a lot of bands do that these days...and from what I can tell, it's not like the backline people and lighting guys have a whole lot to do since everything is pre-programmed now...Hell, Dream Theater proved that you can put on a different crazy show every night confused13.gif

Zappa and the Grateful Dead were doing it YEARS ago....

I think you're forgetting that Dream Theater have a singer, a keyboard player and a bass player, we have one guy who does all three! I can't imagine how they perform a mostly flawless set for three hours a night for weeks or months at a time remembering the lyrics, playing their instruments and triggering endless sequencers and samples without the extra pressure of changing the setlist randomly and all the technical problems that could throw up!