Has Rush's music ever healed you?

MassProductionZone

Ever been going through a really traumatic time in your live and had these three lads help you through? I'll start: New wife new baby,Nov. 1978,21 years old, playing football,caught a knee in the stomach and tore my right kidney in half,emergency surgery,convalescing at home and Rush's Hemispheres album was played by me non-stop for months. It was my rock, my vehicle that would drive me out of this pit that I was thrown into. I made a full recovery, resumed working,playing drums and cycling and though I've had numerous injuries since, that one stands out as the big live changer. To hear Peart's mind-boggling drum patterns on Circumstances and The Tree's gave me so much strength, so, Chapeau my friends, glad the gangs all here. Sorry if that's TMI but I just wanted to say how much they've helped me.And they all lived happily ever-after. The End. laugh.gif

Grace Under Pressure came out a couple of weeks before some bad things started to happen that made me contemplate suicide. Everytime I hear "Between the Wheels" which I initially didn't like, I think about how I changed my mind about going through with it.

These lyrics in particular:

"struck between the eyes by the big time world, walking uneasy streets, hiding beneath the sheets, got to try and fill the void"

I have written about this a few times, here and elsewhere:

I have since spoken with many other Rush fans and found that, for many of us, Rush had been there during a time of crisis or change. Their music had lent us strength, inspiration, solace. There is no other band to which I have heard this credited to such a degree. As I learned more about the years of the band's music and history I had missed, I formed a theory. Anything that is created in a crucible of joy, integrity, honesty and friendship must retain those traits in its DNA, so to speak. This music came from such a place, hence its healing abilities.

Weird, I was just thinking about this earlier - I was in bed most of the day in a lot of pain, and once I was awake enough, I had to put on some Rush. They focus me on something pleasant so that I don't keep dwelling on the pain, tensing up, and making it worse.

Thankfully, I haven't been seriously sick or injured since I got into Rush. The worst incidence I did have was the recurrence of an old eye injury last summer that was horribly painful, compounded by an awful headache. I laid in bed for two or three days listening to a lot of Rush - some of it I slept through and don't remember, but what I did kept me from going crazy with the pain.

I did have an interesting coincidence right after my first show. I have diabetes and have blood work done every three months that releflects the resullts of the three months before the test. My blood work in early 2011 was the best it had been in three years. "What do you think made the difference?", people would ask. There was nothing that I could think of...other than the prior three months having followed my first Rush show. My results have worsened a little since, but are still far better than they had been.

And emotionally? Yes. Lyrically, they challenge me to think in ways that are constructive instead of destructive. The songs let me know that someone understands what I'm going through, but that my dealing with that adversity says a lot about my/human strength. There's a sense I get from their music that they wouldn't want to hear excuses; they'd want me to keep moving ahead, because I can (of course, with their support). Means the world to me. I am far stronger emotionally because of it. smile.gif

In the beginning of '07 I was diagnosed w/ a serious illness. I had incredible stomach and intestinal cramps that were inescapable nearly daily for about half a year. My weight went from 170 to 135-140 in rapid fashion (I'm '6"1, btw.)

I got better and spent the next year at the gym rebuilding what I had lost. I listened to S&A, VT, and CP heavily then. The albums are heavy, they rock, and if not entirely positive, they make me think. I think they are conducive to seeing and understanding changes in life.

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jan 17 2012, 02:42 PM)
Anything that is created in a crucible of joy, integrity, honesty and friendship must retain those traits in its DNA, so to speak. This music came from such a place, hence its healing abilities.

yes.gif

suffering with depression,i most definitely find solace in listening to rush (along with other bands/musicians also).i would go stir crazy if i didn't have music in my life sad.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jan 17 2012, 02:42 AM)
I have written about this a few times, here and elsewhere:

I have since spoken with many other Rush fans and found that, for many of us, Rush had been there during a time of crisis or change. Their music had lent us strength, inspiration, solace. There is no other band to which I have heard this credited to such a degree. As I learned more about the years of the band's music and history I had missed, I formed a theory. Anything that is created in a crucible of joy, integrity, honesty and friendship must retain those traits in its DNA, so to speak. This music came from such a place, hence its healing abilities.

goodpost.gif

Welcome to TRF MassProductionZone! bekloppt.gif

Edited by LyndseyG

QUOTE (GeddyLeeFender @ Jan 17 2012, 01:53 PM)
Rush is my go-to music for most occasions in life and when it comes to healing emotions they truly have changed days for me in the past. Hold Your Fire for me is an album that has helped through some tough times.

It's my favorite album from Rush. Very positive vibes emanate from it. I can FEEEEL the healing.

"The Power of Christ....Compells You!"

Opps nevermind I thought this was The Excorcist thread....carry on.

Oh yes, big time!

They can do that and more

I remember a real tough time ending a long relationship where MIDDLE TOWN DREAMS and EMOTION DETECTOR where my only friends, I can say that those tunes, sequences, keyboards, drums, guitars, bass lines and vocals actually carry my soul through the flames of pain to a distant shore.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jan 16 2012, 10:02 PM)
Weird, I was just thinking about this earlier - I was in bed most of the day in a lot of pain, and once I was awake enough, I had to put on some Rush. They focus me on something pleasant so that I don't keep dwelling on the pain, tensing up, and making it worse.

Thankfully, I haven't been seriously sick or injured since I got into Rush. The worst incidence I did have was the recurrence of an old eye injury last summer that was horribly painful, compounded by an awful headache. I laid in bed for two or three days listening to a lot of Rush - some of it I slept through and don't remember, but what I did kept me from going crazy with the pain.

I did have an interesting coincidence right after my first show. I have diabetes and have blood work done every three months that releflects the resullts of the three months before the test. My blood work in early 2011 was the best it had been in three years. "What do you think made the difference?", people would ask. There was nothing that I could think of...other than the prior three months having followed my first Rush show. My results have worsened a little since, but are still far better than they had been.

And emotionally? Yes. Lyrically, they challenge me to think in ways that are constructive instead of destructive. The songs let me know that someone understands what I'm going through, but that my dealing with that adversity says a lot about my/human strength. There's a sense I get from their music that they wouldn't want to hear excuses; they'd want me to keep moving ahead, because I can (of course, with their support). Means the world to me. I am far stronger emotionally because of it. smile.gif

Great picture btw