Your pick of this SUPERB bunch?

JohnnyBlaze

Which 70s album wins?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Which 70s album wins?

• A Farewell to Kings
    • Hemispheres

I went with "A Farewell to Kings".

Everyone (including Rush themselves) says that "Moving Pictures" is when Rush came into their own, to which I humble and respectfully disagree.

I believe (in my opinion) it was "A Farewell To Kings" that sealed their stamp on rock history and defined who they are to the rock world.

This album is perfect in every way.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 6 2012, 05:50 PM)
Seriously though, if you took side one of AFTK and side two of Hemispheres and smushed them together, you'd have the best album of all time by anyone.

yes.gif Or...

Side 1

Hemispheres

Side 2

1022.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 6 2012, 05:51 AM)
A Farewell to Kings

Hemispheres has the better epic if we compare the title track to Cygnus X-1,  but I prefer Xanadu to La Villa slightly and A Farewell to Kings, Cinderella Man, Closer to the Heart and Madrigal easily whup The Trees and Circumstances...

I can't vote in this poll. I wouldn't be able to vote for my least favourite in this set of choices either, because even though the wiser, detached part of me will admit at something like gunpoint that 2112 is the weakest album of these three, it's the only Rush album that doesn't have even one single song that I usually skip, and besides, it's the album that reminds me most strongly of my truelove.

As for A Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres, my summation is close to the quoted, but I can't give either album the nod over the other because Cygnus Blah Blah Hemispheres is in the running for my personal Favourite Song By Anyone Ever, Xanadu and La Villa are impossible for me to choose between, and though I agree that A Farewell To Kings, Cinderella Man and Closer To The Heart collectively easily whup The Trees and Circumstances collectively, I prefer Circumstances individually to Madrigal, which I seldom if ever listen to.

Really, I tend to think of A Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres as the all-time greatest double-album that never existed.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 6 2012, 05:50 PM)
Where AFTK loses out for me is Cygnus X-1 - really good song, but I always get a little annoyed by the narration and by Geddy's screaming at the very end -

That's the same reason I have for voting against it. That screaming bit always annoyed me. Meanwhile almost every bit of Hemispheres is perfect (Circumstances lacking a tinsy bit compared to the other three songs).

QUOTE (goose @ Jan 7 2012, 12:26 AM)
QUOTE (apetersvt @ Jan 6 2012, 09:24 AM)
Caress Of Steel is clearly the best 70s album (or any decade for that matter).

1022.gif

trink39.gif

Really? I rank Caress of Steel 13 amongst the 18 studio Rush albums, forget best album of the 70's or by anyone.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 7 2012, 03:32 AM)

1022.gif

trink39.gif

Really? I rank Caress of Steel 13 amongst the 18 studio Rush albums, forget best album of the 70's or by anyone.

Yes, really. Love it.

You must admit that out love for CoS is more understandable than your love for the Twilight saga.

pokey.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 6 2012, 03:37 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 5 2012, 11:16 PM)
Enough of those 'sorry bunch' polls. Vote and discuss.
trink38.gif

Johnny! Not much to discuss here. I will bet you that "Hemispheres" will easily win this poll.

"Hemispheres" is the greatest album ever made on planet earth.

trink39.gif

It's my pick of this group. But greatest ever made on planet earth?...hmm...don't know about that but it's among the greatest at the very least. yes.gif trink38.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 6 2012, 06:53 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 6 2012, 01:16 AM)
Enough of those 'sorry bunch' polls. Vote and discuss.
trink38.gif

JB when's the new Johnny Blaze the Shaolin Monk film coming out?

ph34r.gif

Well, there's a problem with the nude waterfall scene involving myself and a dozen Asian princesses. The writer & director feel that the actions carried on in that scene aren't what a Shaolin monk would do. So I told them,"Well, that's what THIS Shaolin monk would do!! So, let's get this shot already!!!" tongue.gif

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Jan 6 2012, 11:24 PM)
Caress Of Steel is clearly the best 70s album (or any decade for that matter). I assume that is why JB left it off of the poll. smile.gif

Well, Rush's work in the 70s will never be outdone by anyone else (including themselves)! trink39.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Jan 7 2012, 01:43 AM)

1022.gif

trink39.gif

Yes, really. Love it.

You must admit that out love for CoS is more understandable than your love for the Twilight saga.

pokey.gif

no.gif

dazed025.gif

tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 6 2012, 11:50 PM)
QUOTE (barchetta90480 @ Jan 6 2012, 03:20 PM)
Indeed ... no competition here.
AFTK by far. The other two albums have a weak side each  - 2112 not so much as it's saved by Something For Nothing and Bangkok, whereas Side one of Hemispheres is one of the most forgettable pieces of music Rush ever put together (still love listening to it, for it's Rush)

Side one of Hemispheres has really grown on me over the years - it's still a lot to take in, but it's an amazing song. Where AFTK loses out for me is Cygnus X-1 - really good song, but I always get a little annoyed by the narration and by Geddy's screaming at the very end - I know that might seem like minor parts of a long song, and they are, but it generally keeps me from wanting to hear the song, and I usually turn the album off prior to that.

Seriously though, if you took side one of AFTK and side two of Hemispheres and smushed them together, you'd have the best album of all time by anyone.

You're right with Cygnus X-1, though the rest of the song kicks ass. Might have been a fine instrumental (as it was done in later tours). But AFTK is pretty special for me among 'earlier' Rush albums. Hell, I even dig Madrigal ...

Side Two of Hemispheres plus the 2112 epic would certainly make one of the best albums ever, though not the best. That would be side one of GUP with side two of ... hmmm ... GUP. wink.gif

I chose Hemispheres because it is the culmination of everything they had been building and evolving towards in the 70's. It's not only that there are no weak moments...there are no moments that aren't anything less than amazing.

In "Behind the Lighted Stage", Neil says that they knew they were overreaching tremendously with this album and that its ambitions were beyond their talents at the time. Even still, they all rose to the challenge and delivered a timeless classic.

BTW, this is my first post here. I've been a RUSH junkie for well over 3 decades now!

QUOTE (goose @ Jan 7 2012, 03:43 AM)

1022.gif

trink39.gif

Yes, really. Love it.

pokey.gif

I'd put CoS around 8th, but that's only by a hair against the those other 8, many of which are tied for first. It's good, but to me not as great as Hemispheres or Permanent Waves.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 7 2012, 05:28 AM)
QUOTE (goose @ Jan 7 2012, 01:43 AM)

1022.gif

trink39.gif

Yes, really. Love it.

pokey.gif

no.gif

dazed025.gif

tongue.gif

laugh.gif

trink39.gif