A Good Sign Or Bad Sign?

presto123

Do you think it is a good sign or bad sign that they got they recording done so fast? Two months is a short time considering the whole thing wasn't totally written when they hit the studio. I seem to recall that some of their classic recordings went real smooth in the studio(not Hemispheres though) so I'll call it a good sign:) Seems to me if the songs were not coming together easily they would have stayed through January at least especially considering the rumored Fall tour. That would mean they had as long as they needed to finish the recording process.

Bad sign. it means that they want to rush things quickly to put a cd out before going on tour. they should take all the time to make another classic old cd. But it won't happend again. those days are gone.

Good sign. It means they were really in the zone and put together some awesome music.

Bad sign. It means they rushed it out the door without thinking.

Good sign. It means they knew exactly what they were doing thanks to nearly 40 years of working together.

Bad sign. It means that after 40 years, they're hanging it up and just want to throw out some crap CD to sell before they retire.

Good sign....

Bad sign....

Good sign....

Bad sign....

Yes, let's keep on about this. I'm sure someone will be right, though we'll never know it until we get more information from the band and get to hear the actual album.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jan 1 2012, 04:20 AM)
Do you think it is a good sign or bad sign that they got they recording done so fast? Two months is a short time considering the whole thing wasn't totally written when they hit the studio. I seem to recall that some of their classic recordings went real smooth in the studio(not Hemispheres though) so I'll call it a good sign:) Seems to me if the songs were not coming together easily they would have stayed through January at least especially considering the rumored Fall tour. That would mean they had as long as they needed to finish the recording process.

No point in really speculating. We dont really know how long they've actually been writing, so maybe they were pretty much done with the songs before they went into finish recording.

The opposite could also be true, maybe they rushed everything since they are older now and just dont want to put the effort into each song like they did when they were 27yo. Who knows.

I remember Geddy saying in the past sometimes they would spend a month working on 1 song until it was great. Dont really think they would do that anymore, but we'll find out soon enough how good these songs are.

Caravan sounds pretty rushed to me. The constant repeating 1 line in the chorus which is just annoying comes off as lazy to me. Plus the middle jam section which really sounds shoehorned in there to me. BU2B has better flow to it, but its not a very adventurous song with a bunch of interesting parts like something like Red Barchetta for example which just sounds like more work went into it.

Thats the vibe I get from the 2 current songs, but Im not going to speculate about the others yet. I hope they are great if this turns out to be there last album. I dont want another album with 12 4-5 minute standard issue rock songs.

I'd say it could go either way.

Good sign: they were ready and punched out some great tracks quickly.

Bad sign: they rushed it.

But as Daniel said - There's no point in speculating - we'll just have to wait for the album! yes.gif

2.gif

With how good they were playing at the end of the TM Tour I think that translated and it is a good thing the album came together fairly quickly. They did have a decent amount of material written so it is not like they were starting from scratch. As for working on an Epic or Classic, RUSH never likes to do the same thing again so this album will not sound like Snakes or MP or any of the others. Steampunk is the theme and for better or worse that is what we are going to get. I for one think it will be a heavier, ballsy record!

Rock on guys!

1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

I think in general it's a good sign when bands finish recording quickly. It means they are not second-guessing decisions as much, not meandering to create music (aka lack of ideas), and basically capitalizing on the apparent energy of the music/experience. The music may sound more urgent than it has lately, which I would be very interested to hear.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 1 2012, 09:29 AM)
Good sign. The more they tinker the higher the chance itll be overproduced IMO.

Exactly.

S&A went pretty quickly, and look at all the layering they had on that album. The band was going for a more stripped-down sound on this one, so it makes sense that the process would go quickly. Plus, after 40 years, the boys kind of have it down by now, I think.

Plus, as InvisibleAirwaves13 said, they were in good playing shape from all that touring.

QUOTE (InvisibleAirwaves13 @ Jan 1 2012, 08:02 AM)
With how good they were playing at the end of the TM Tour I think that translated and it is a good thing the album came together fairly quickly. They did have a decent amount of material written so it is not like they were starting from scratch.

yes.gif

Maybe by the time they hit the studio, the muses took hold and they were able to motor through the recording.

But... with the record done, seems like they should start touring earlier than this fall.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jan 1 2012, 10:04 AM)

Caravan sounds pretty rushed to me. The constant repeating 1 line in the chorus which is just annoying comes off as lazy to me. Plus the middle jam section which really sounds shoehorned in there to me. BU2B has better flow to it, but its not a very adventurous song with a bunch of interesting parts like something like Red Barchetta for example which just sounds like more work went into it.

Thats the vibe I get from the 2 current songs, but Im not going to speculate about the others yet. I hope they are great if this turns out to be there last album. I dont want another album with 12 4-5 minute standard issue rock songs.

yes.gif

I was surprised they finished it so soon, I was wondering what they were doing right after the TM tour, I thought they were on holidays still lol

If its done now then it will be out sooner and maybe Neil would rather that,as he can get the touring bit over (hopefully)

I just hope they are happy with the finished product and are thinking of the fans awaiting the cd

Although as long as they tour I dont mind when it comes out, If release comes out I buy in striaght away but dont normally watch/listen to a while later as Im still studying the last release, I didnt watch BTLS till months after it came out, Havent seen the MP side of Tm yet... but later I will trink38.gif

QUOTE (RUDT @ Jan 1 2012, 12:10 PM)

yes.gif

no.gif

Couldn't disagree more. "Caravan" sounds anything but rushed. Obviously a lot of thought and creativity went into that song, especially the middle jam section. And there's enough connection between that jam and the rest of the song to show that it wasn't just "shoehorned" in there.

Oh brother.

Your kidding me with this thread right?

LOL.

A Good sign: Permanent Change has always been a theme with RUSH, and I feel that they are the best judge of what they want.

In my opinion,

speculating about how long/short/big/tall/black/white/green/stinky/true/false

an artistic project should or does take, is absurd.

For everyone that said there is no need to speculate........are you kidding me? That's what we do on message boards. Speculate. That's part of the fun before a big release or announcement. Totally disagree as well about Caravan being rushed. It is one of the more interesting prog like piece they have written in a LONG time.

They've supposably been writing since they went on tour in 2010. If they were telling the truth than after 2 years of writing they probably knew what they were doing going into the studio so it was quick and efficient. I don't think it's a sign either way.

Maybe Road Runner Records told them to hurry it up and meet some kind of contract terms. (it's happened with other bands)

QUOTE (RUDT @ Jan 1 2012, 11:10 AM)

yes.gif

yes.gif

SO many things were sort of done and put together and noodled on the road, that the recording didnt take long... no worries. Get 'er in the can, stop f***ing around and lets go.

For f*cks sake they recorded and released Hemispheres, PW and MP in 2.5 years!!!

smile.gif

Good because that means not many overdubs?Also VH is coming out with their first studio work with original singer DLR since 1984. It 's release date is 2/7/12. could it be that Rush is well trying to RUSH it out as to not compete? either way both bands will be active in 2012 . How long has it been since that happened? Edited by patjnev

QUOTE (GeddyLeeFender @ Jan 1 2012, 06:55 PM)
I honestly have no idea but I hope the record turns out well..hopefully different than S & A. eh.gif

I think it will be much heavier than S & A as are the two first songs off the album!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (RUDT @ Jan 1 2012, 06:12 AM)
Bad sign. it means that they want to rush things quickly to put a cd out before going on tour. they should take all the time to make another classic old cd. But it won't happend again. those days are gone.

I was gonna default and say it doesn't mean anything, but this made me think.

The fact that it's doubtlessly a double album (let's face it, today's 70 minute albums are double albums) makes me pretty nervous. It's hard to make a high-quality single album in 2 months, much less a double one. Hell, it's hard to make a consistent high-quality double album PERIOD.

The fact that some of the material was already written however is a positive mitigating factor.