What a joke! Eddie Van Halen above Alex Lifeson?

Tom Sawyer

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 25 2011, 08:36 AM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Nov 25 2011, 10:06 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Nov 23 2011, 09:01 PM)
You're insane. People usually vote for who is technically better, or more influential and Eddie does things far more difficult than anything Alex has ever played, and has been FAR more influential to other guitarists.

Just because Alex is in a band you like more doesnt mean the entire world should think he should be ranked over a guitarist significantly more legendary.

Exactly......I can't even believe anyone thinks Al is a better guitarist than EVH. No chance.

Smoke and mirrors...that's how Randy rhoads described Eddie.

*this

And David Gilmour, another better than EVH.

edited... and who says I like Rush anyway... they're just some bubble-gum pop fad that won't amount to anything, you'll see.

Edited by Tom Sawyer

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 25 2011, 10:36 AM)
You're insane. People usually vote for who is technically better, or more influential and Eddie does things far more difficult than anything Alex has ever played, and has been FAR more influential to other guitarists.

Just because Alex is in a band you like more doesnt mean the entire world should think he should be ranked over a guitarist significantly more legendary.

Exactly......I can't even believe anyone thinks Al is a better guitarist than EVH. No chance.

That is what Kevin Debrow Said Randy said about him. Read the interviews Randy gave, he Always said Eddie was a influence on him.

Even though I didn't read the list, this is apples and oranges. This is opinion generated no matter how you look at it. Having said that, I don't really like judging guitarists in a top ten list because everyone has different reasons, a musicians viewpoint will differ from the casual fan.

If you were there in the late 70's and heard Eddie's incredible guitar shredding for the first time you know what I mean, it was mind blowing, no one ever heard anything like it. (In fact, I remember them playing "Runnin' With the Devil" in a local commercial for a bar with live bands before it was played on the radio. People wanted to hear the song, and didn't know who it was). Ed can shred, no doubt, he was an innovator. He'll always be used in comparison when discussing the Axe.

But about the time "VH" came out, Rush was touring the Hemispheres already. Alex could already shred, but his playing was more than that. It was meaningful, emotional, aggressive, even beautiful at times. Just when you think you've got Alex's technique figured out, he'd be on to something else altogether. When I sum it all up, I've got lots of favorites, for different styles and sounds, but Alex, to me, is the epitome of guitar innovation. 2.gif

Hey look an opinion! People can like whatever they want why can't you believe that.

All Eddie Van Halen is, is a glorified guitarist who whores his talent for hammer-ons. That's it. he is so overrated, it's absurd.

QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Nov 25 2011, 01:39 AM)
Call me crazy but I actually think Alex is more technically proficient even if it's just by a little bit. That said, duh EVH is more influential.

You are correct in that Alex is more technically proficient -- time signatures, theory, different styles, etc. But that does not mean Eddie is not technically proficient, because he DEFINITELY is. Eddie is brilliant on a myriad of levels. Where things get tricky, though, is rating someone like Angus Young who is nowhere in the ballpark of technical proficiency as Eddie or Alex, but still plays with a great deal emotion and feel ... albeit very simply. However, if it was only about "technical proficiency" then Steve Howe of Yes would be the clear-cut number 1, and we could all come home. But there is more to it than that. On a related note, I have not seen the list in question, but I would home that Howe scored highly.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 25 2011, 11:20 AM)

That is what Kevin Debrow Said Randy said about him. Read the interviews Randy gave, he Always said Eddie was a influence on him.

Yup, that was the story. They saw v.h before they were signed, and that was supposedly what Randy said.

How bout the infamous Musician magazine article from '91, where Eddie jammed with Steve Morse and Albert Lee, and got his ass handed too him?...

Eddie is much like Peart, in that outside of the confines of their band, they can't hang with world class players very well...they have their little niche, and that's it.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 25 2011, 04:27 PM)

Yup, that was the story. They saw v.h before they were signed, and that was supposedly what Randy said.

How bout the infamous Musician magazine article from '91, where Eddie jammed with Steve Morse and Albert Lee, and got his ass handed too him?...

Eddie is much like Peart, in that outside of the confines of their band, they can't hang with world class players very well...they have their little niche, and that's it.

I don't believe a word out of K. D 's mouth. He was a Hack that got famous on 2 songs that were not his laugh.gif K.D was a little jealous a-Hole because he was older than Everyone in L.A that got Signed. I also heard he was not as close with RR as he lead people to believe . Ed is a Rock Guitar player, that is all. You are right about the comfort zone, that is why he won't win Best Jazz player, he is a Rock guy and for Anyone to say he has not had more Influence than Alex in the Rock World just hates his music, which is fine. They just need to be real

QUOTE (hobo73 @ Nov 25 2011, 01:05 PM)
All Eddie Van Halen is, is a glorified guitarist who whores his talent for hammer-ons. That's it. he is so overrated, it's absurd.

You don't have a f-n clue what you are talking about.

QUOTE (hobo73 @ Nov 25 2011, 02:05 PM)

Sorry...but that comment is absurd.

Whether you like VH or not, you cannot ignore the fact that Eddie is an amazing guitarist...one of the best.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 25 2011, 04:53 PM)
QUOTE (hobo73 @ Nov 25 2011, 02:05 PM)

Sorry...but that comment is absurd.

Whether you like VH or not, you cannot ignore the fact that Eddie is an amazing guitarist...one of the best.

sorry to offend you, that's how I feel. VH's music makes my ears bleed! lol

I just never saw anything special about EVH.

This year I've seen Alex and Prince (+ Wendy Melvoin on 80s). Some of my very all time favourites. Gilmour still to be seen (maybe never anymore, don't know). Frank Marino, Randy Rhoads and Rory Gallagher were hot too for me, 30 years ago. Now listening backround Steve Howe on Parallels..

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 25 2011, 04:48 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 25 2011, 04:27 PM)

I don't believe a word out of K. D 's mouth. He was a Hack that got famous on 2 songs that were not his laugh.gif K.D was a little jealous a-Hole because he was older than Everyone in L.A that got Signed. I also heard he was not as close with RR as he lead people to believe . Ed is a Rock Guitar player, that is all. You are right about the comfort zone, that is why he won't win Best Jazz player, he is a Rock guy and for Anyone to say he has not had more Influence than Alex in the Rock World just hates his music, which is fine. They just need to be real

Yeah, dubrow was a loud mouth. Absolutely. I'm not 100% sold on that story.

Eddies influence is obviously huge on rock guitar. In closing, I just feel like he got credit for so many things that it got obnoxious. How many times was he on the cover of guitar world? ...haha

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Nov 25 2011, 02:34 AM)
It still blows my mind at this stage of the game how many can objectively claim that Eddie is so superior to Mr Lifeson. Never understood the fascination with fast and flashy guitar solos.

Thats not all he does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hci_feogqS0&feature=fvst

These lists arent about their bands, its about their influence, how technically proficient they are and being famous for specific things that will never be forgotten.

What has Alex ever done that set off trends that will continue on long after he's dead? Nothing. He just did things many other guitarists were doing before him, just as good as him too. He'll just be known as the guy in Rush. Nothing really about his playing. But Eddie will be known for VH but also things he did as a guitarist. Thats why he should be listed over Alex.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Nov 26 2011, 09:58 AM)
EVH = amazing guitarist. Cmon. And if you were around for VHs ascendancy.. you know what a HUGE infuence he was. Game changer. IMO.

^^

Remember hearing VH1 for the first time? Jaws were on the ground. The man changed how guitarists approach their instrument, and I think Alex can be included in that group. Good musicians feed off what others do. Don't pretend Alex didn't draw from what Eddie brought to the table. Listen to the guitar solo in YYZ.

What is that a bad thing that people feel they need to discredit? confused13.gif

We all know Alex is amazing, and that he influenced (and continues to influence) generations of accomplished musicians in his own way. Eddie has in his own way as well. It's all good.

I saw Van Halen live in the 80's, and I've seen Rush live- Alex is a better musician. Alex is playing guitar/singing, playing foot pedals. Eddie VH, runs around on stage noodling leads that rarely fit the songs. I've seen Michael Schenker, Steve Morse, and many other bands. Alex blows them away with his sound and playing ability. Rush is still one of the best bands out there. They are 3 amazing musicians. I don't care what a bunch of you kids think- I've seen and heard. Edited by RUSHian62

Soory, Alex is a great guitarist but, he's no Ediie Van Halen! Now that said? I don't think the list is all that correct! Keith Richards, really? Where's David Gilmour, John Petrucci, or Steve Howe? Where's Steve Vai? Where's Satriani? Where's Lifeson?

confused13.gif

Edited by losingit2k