Ged answers his critics

eshine

Here is my view on the whole Geddy's voice thing.

Rush went out on tour and played MP in entirety, taped it and is now on blue ray and cd. This is good, and they are getting props for it. When the less then hardcores buy it, the first thing they will do is go to Freewill because they want to see Geddy and Alex shredding it. They will see that and Geddy hitting the notes and that all that will matter to them. The rest is icing on the cake.

No one expects Geddy to sing like he did 30 years, and i don't think anyone cares, but he hits the notes on Freewill and a few others, and the rest of the band is shredding all the rest of the music music. that is what will get talked about. Overall the vocals are good enough to compliment the incredible musicianship and light show experience that people expect at a Rush Concert.

The bottom line is Rush is still out there kicking butt like they always have and people are finally starting to notice. That is the real story.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 23 2011, 04:10 PM)
15 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 2 Anonymous Users):
EmotionDetector, Queen of Megadon, Babycat, ILSnwdog, Freeze, KTMMan, Strangiato, bigman208, rushfr:CP, Watchful_Eye, A Farewell to Things

bekloppt.gif

We've got action people!

bekloppt.gif

I read this news a little bit ago on RIAB, but regardless, it's always great to read again. I think this band has many years ahead of them. If the Rolling Stones can do it, Rush certainly can. The good thing about Rush is that they realize that the day will come where they'll have to hang up. They'll know when age will eventually catch up and make things difficult to continue onward. Very different from those bands that don't realize they suck, or they do, but just don't give a damn. This is why I have amazing respect for Geddy, Alex, and Neil. They just aren't that typical rock band. They have class, and they have respect for their project called Rush.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Nov 23 2011, 11:11 AM)
and if they hadn't continued, I wouldn't be in the documentary.

bolt.gif

You know, I've read all those posts of you in BTLS but where were you in it?

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Nov 23 2011, 12:59 PM)
I read this news a little bit ago on RIAB, but regardless, it's always great to read again. I think this band has many years ahead of them. If the Rolling Stones can do it, Rush certainly can.

Since 1994, the Stones have put out 3 studio albums, 6 live albums, 4 compilations and 6 box sets. Oh, and they've toured ONCE.

I pray to god or whatever that Rush does not turn into the Rolling Stones.

Well, as far as not making a bad album goes,

I'd have to say HYF was the only one that missed

the mark, as far as equalizing the sound between

guitar and synth...should have been more guitar

and less synth,imo..but that's coming from a guitarist.

I'll put that on the producer, and not the band.

As far as Mr. Lee's voice is concerned,which do ya want?

High or low? You can't really have both..atleast not

at this stage of the game.So what if he's straining on

some tunes...big deal..the guys pushing almost 60.

Just be thankful they're still touring, and not retired

on some tropical/deserted isle somewhere!!

How many musicians can you think of, that can play

bass,synth, and sing..all at the same time, without

getting all mixed up??..let alone do that at a

consistently highly professional level???

There's only one: Geddy Lee.

Cut the guy some slack..seriously..After all, he's a

MAJOR part of the signature sound of RUSH.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

Thank God Rush isn't a nostalgia band like some of you want them to be.

I understand people don't want to see them struggling on stage 10 years down the road, but believe it or not, it ain't up to you. The band has said many times how much fun they're having, and it's nice to see them having fun.

I think some of you need to retire. I'm not a fanboy by any means. Power Windows was their last flawless album, IMO. Still, there are handfuls of songs from later albums that have wowed me on the same level.

As far as live performance goes, Ged's voice is hit and miss at times. So what? Do you want Rush to do just instrumentals live? Oh that's right, you don't like La Villa's different opening. Oh that's right, you don't like how YYZ is slowed down now. Oh that's right, MalNar is new Rush, so it blows.

So basically, even if Rush just played instrumentals, we'd still get whining. Just not about vocals. Then you have people who say they shouldn't tour, and should just put out a plethora of new music. Yeah, I'm sure that's a brilliant idea. How much 'filler' whining would we get at that point? I wouldn't even want to know to be honest with you.

Some people on here just don't get it. The band is having a fantastic time going on the road now and playing for the fans. The vocals may not be like they were in the 80s, and Ged knows it, but he still tries his tits off to please himself, as well as the legions of fans that continue to come to each show. They don't have anything to prove anymore and they've said that, but they still want to put on the best live show they can. They've even said that they never play a perfect show.

I'll still be enjoying them for as long as they go.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 23 2011, 02:21 PM)
I read this news a little bit ago on RIAB, but regardless, it's always great to read again. I think this band has many years ahead of them. If the Rolling Stones can do it, Rush certainly can.

Since 1994, the Stones have put out 3 studio albums, 6 live albums, 4 compilations and 6 box sets. Oh, and they've toured ONCE.

Toured once? They've toured 5 times since 1994:

Voodoo Lounge Tour (August 1994-1995)

Bridges to Babylon Tour (September 1997-September 1998; June 1999)

No Security Tour (January-April 1999)

Licks Tour (September 2002-November 2003)

A Bigger Bang Tour (August 2005-August 2007)

Sounds pretty busy to me for guys up there in age. I can't believe you said they've only toured once. I don't even care for the Rolling Stones, but it's well known that these guys still tour. Even though they haven't toured since 2007, they were still well into their early to mid 60s. So, again my point still stands.

And I wouldn't want Rush to turn into the Rolling Stones either. It was a simple comment that if the Rolling Stones can do it at their age, Rush certainly can with their skills.

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Nov 23 2011, 04:20 PM)

Sounds pretty busy to me for guys up there in age. I can't believe you said they've only toured once. I don't even care for the Rolling Stones, but it's well known that these guys still tour. Even though they haven't toured since 2007, they were still well into their early to mid 60s. So, again my point still stands.

And I wouldn't want Rush to turn into the Rolling Stones either. It was a simple comment that if the Rolling Stones can do it at their age, Rush certainly can with their skills.

I saw the Stone in 94 and they sounded like shit. I can't believe they are still embezzling money from their fans. laugh.gif

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Nov 23 2011, 03:20 PM)

I misread their Wikipedia page. Try not to let it go to your head. wink.gif laugh.gif

So, great. They still tour a little. But they've put out a mere 3 studio albums and sixteen sets of live/compilation material. That's pathetic and I still say, I hope like hell that Rush doesn't turn into them.

Edited by danielmclark

Despite Geddy's failing voice and the obvious cash grabs(I mean c'mon releasing the "Moving Picture" live cd when the same exact material is on the Live in Cleveland cd AND DVD is an obvious example). I think their live shows are better than ever. I've never seen them play with such energy and sheer joy when I saw them in the summer of 2010.

Rush are probably the best all-around value in live music. No one plays longer or harder.

The notion of (fill in X) as a "cash grab" is silly.

They are a business. Simply don't buy it if you feel a product isn't redeeming or worthwhile.

I can think of no other band who has pushed--and continues to push--the envelope for so long.

QUOTE (Presto_a RUSH fan_06-08-90 @ Nov 23 2011, 01:10 AM)
goodpost.gif

Amen!

I agree totally with Geddy and you.

RUSH has their shyt together, which is alot more than you can say about just about anyone in the Camera Eye!

Long Live 2.gif

yes.gif +1

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 23 2011, 05:31 PM)

I misread their Wikipedia page. Try not to let it go to your head. wink.gif laugh.gif

So, great. They still tour a little. But they've put out a mere 3 studio albums and sixteen sets of live/compilation material. That's pathetic and I still say, I hope like hell that Rush doesn't turn into them.

Oh, I'm not letting anything go to my head. Simply pointing things out. tongue.gif

Damn, had to work and missed all the fun! tongue.gif

Tarnished? Absolutely, 100%. Obviously that's not the case for hardcore fans who love everything they do and will see them every tour no matter what, but back in the real world, a LOT of people are not fond of their last several albums. I've come across a LOT of people who became very disillusioned with some Rush album or albums in the late 80's or 90's or 2000's, and pretty much gave up on them.

As far as I'm concerned, 4 of their last 6 albums have been real duds, and that's after 12 virtually flawless albums. Tarnished.

Then they decided to forego new music for tons and tons of touring rarely supporting a new anything. I can certainly understand and appreciate the long gap between T4E and VT, but the one between VT and S&A? The one between S&A and CA? No. Tarnished.

And now they've been performing and releasing DVD's where Geddy's voice really isn't up to snuff anymore. Tarnished.

I always thought of them as the band with tons of integrity. My opinion of them has definitely taken a tumble. Hey, at least they never got lost in alcohol or drugs or bitter disputes, and they don't seem to do the groupie thing. That's a big plus. At least they haven't fallen into a lot of the traps of success in the industry. BUT, they've really been going hard for the money jugular in recent years.

And yet still I love this band, even if many will choose to view me only as a disgruntled fan. It's all good.

Edited by rushgoober

As much as I like the way Geddy thinks and would like to agree with him, Rock and Roll is far from immortal. The genre is currently dying out, or at the very least experiencing a drought where almost only the village elders seem to be thriving in the mainstream. Comparatively speaking, there are so few great rock bands today which haven't been around since the 80s. Edited by USB Connector

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Nov 23 2011, 06:50 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 23 2011, 05:31 PM)

Oh, I'm not letting anything go to my head. Simply pointing things out. tongue.gif

I know, just giving you a hard time tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 23 2011, 06:58 PM)
Then they decided to forego new music for tons and tons of touring rarely supporting a new anything.

This part I don't get. It's been album-tour-album-tour since... forever, basically.

T4E -> tour -> VT -> tour -> Feedback -> tour (R30) -> S&A -> tour -> Caravan/BU2B (admittedly a stretch) -> tour

Even if you discount Feedback, which I don't, and even if you discount Caravan/BU2B (I'll grant that), I don't think "tons and tons of touring rarely supporting a new anything" is really warranted.