Latest Album Update

Tony R

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Nov 22 2011, 12:54 AM)
Prog is not Dream Theater. That is Prog-Hard-Rock or Prog-metal. Rush has NEVER been a prog band. That title is reserved for Yes, ELP, King Crimson, and the like: stuff that doesn't sound like rock as considered in the normal sense.

Rush was Prog-Hard-Rock until Signals, and then they were just rock. I would say parts of VT and S&A are definitely Prog-Hard-Rock, or even Prog-Metal in some parts.

Caravan is very progressive, but that doesn't make it Prog.

Just IMO, of course.

Hemispheres is 100% Prog Rock, the only reason people get confused is because it's not laden with lead keyboards.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 21 2011, 10:56 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 21 2011, 12:46 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Nov 21 2011, 11:30 AM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Nov 18 2011, 01:41 PM)
3 or 4 songs with arrangements that are "different" from the usual Rush-style. Hopefully that means we won't get endless repeats of verses...

God, I hope so. I hope BU2B is the worst song on the album. If not, yuk.

Well, if BU2B is the "worst" song on the new album, then this album will be f'n amazing. So yeah, I hope you're right...

BU2B blows.

laugh.gif

Sorry you feel that way...I think it's great.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 22 2011, 12:39 PM)
3 or 4 songs with arrangements that are "different" from the usual Rush-style. Hopefully that means we won't get endless repeats of verses...

Well, if BU2B is the "worst" song on the new album, then this album will be f'n amazing. So yeah, I hope you're right...

BU2B blows.

laugh.gif

Sorry you feel that way. wink.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 22 2011, 11:41 AM)

BU2B blows.

laugh.gif

I'm sorry you feel that you're sorry he feels that he... wait, what?

Um. I like pie.

I hope that Clockwork Angels sounds like Rush, NOT Dream Theater.

A Dramatic Turn Of Events is okay, but some of the extended "wankery" gives me a headache.

And what is up with that "breathy" voice that James LaBrie uses on DT's ballads? It's embarassingly bad, like something on a John Tesh album. Anyone who complains about Ged's vocals and wants CA to sound like DT should give a listen to This Is The Life or Far From Heaven. wtf.gif

(But seriously, tongue.gif ADTOE is pretty cool otherwise.)

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 22 2011, 01:41 PM)

BU2B blows.

laugh.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Nov 22 2011, 02:43 PM)
I hope that Clockwork Angels sounds like Rush, NOT Dream Theater.

bitchslap.gif

And what is up with that "breathy" voice that James LaBrie uses on DT's ballads? It's embarassingly bad, like something on a John Tesh album.

At his worst he is 50 times the vocalist Geddy Lee is. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Nov 21 2011, 03:48 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 21 2011, 01:22 PM)
QUOTE (Snowman @ Nov 21 2011, 04:03 PM)
QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Nov 21 2011, 12:41 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 21 2011, 11:46 AM)
Well, if BU2B is the "worst" song on the new album, then this album will be f'n amazing.

Totally agree. I think both Caravan and BU2B are fantastic, and I can't wait to hear more of the new material. Live performances of those two tunes have been excellent as well, as they're well suited for Geddy's vocals at this stage.

Agrrree! BU2B is excellent. Why does some people react so badly on this song?

Well, I would imagine potentially the lyrical content.

I'll be honest, I'm not overly crazy about it either. BUT...the music kicks my a**, and that is reason enough for me to love this song. I like it better than Caravan personally! 1022.gif

This ^^^

Musically it is wonderfully heavy.

Lyrically, ummmm OK Neil, we get it.

Ahh...the anti religion thing that Neil messes around with....

Well I agree with him. I consider myself as a christian, my kids are baptised and we live after a chirstian "mindset", but I also think that religion is the root, or used as an excuse to a lot of evil things happening nowadays.

Problem is that people take religion too serious.

BU2B and Caravan is some of the freshest output from Rush in decades. If a lyric can destroy such a quality song...sorry I still dont get it.

QUOTE (Snowman @ Nov 22 2011, 03:42 PM)
QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Nov 21 2011, 03:48 PM)
QUOTE (Snowman @ Nov 21 2011, 04:03 PM)
QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Nov 21 2011, 12:41 PM)
Well, if BU2B is the "worst" song on the new album, then this album will be f'n amazing.

Totally agree. I think both Caravan and BU2B are fantastic, and I can't wait to hear more of the new material. Live performances of those two tunes have been excellent as well, as they're well suited for Geddy's vocals at this stage.

Agrrree! BU2B is excellent. Why does some people react so badly on this song?

Well, I would imagine potentially the lyrical content.

I'll be honest, I'm not overly crazy about it either. BUT...the music kicks my a**, and that is reason enough for me to love this song. I like it better than Caravan personally! 1022.gif

This ^^^

Musically it is wonderfully heavy.

Lyrically, ummmm OK Neil, we get it.

Ahh...the anti religion thing that Neil messes around with....

Well I agree with him. I consider myself as a christian, my kids are baptised and we live after a chirstian "mindset", but I also think that religion is the root, or used as an excuse to a lot of evil things happening nowadays.

Problem is that people take religion too serious.

BU2B and Caravan is some of the freshest output from Rush in decades. If a lyric can destroy such a quality song...sorry I still dont get it.

Amen.(pun intended) Sometimes when people take a realistic look at religion and explore some of the guilt and fear and prejudice it sometimes breeds people get bent out of shape. Most people don't get up in arms about a song like Witch Hunt but it touches on religious fanaticism and persecution and prejudice as well. Lyrics are really the last thing I take into account when I judge a Rush record. It's not like Neil is writing Gene Simmons lyrics(let me put my log in your fireplace). Neil's lyrics are always thought provoking no matter what the subject matter.

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 22 2011, 02:47 PM)

And what is up with that "breathy" voice that James LaBrie uses on DT's ballads?  It's embarassingly bad, like something on a John Tesh album.

At his worst he is 50 times the vocalist Geddy Lee is. atickhum.gif

You have bricks for ears my friend. Just a ludricous statement.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Nov 22 2011, 07:00 PM)
QUOTE (Snowman @ Nov 22 2011, 03:42 PM)
[quote=]

Amen.(pun intended) Sometimes when people take a realistic look at religion and explore some of the guilt and fear and prejudice it sometimes breeds people get bent out of shape. Most people don't get up in arms about a song like Witch Hunt but it touches on religious fanaticism and persecution and prejudice as well. Lyrics are really the last thing I take into account when I judge a Rush record. It's not like Neil is writing Gene Simmons lyrics(let me put my log in your fireplace). Neil's lyrics are always thought provoking no matter what the subject matter.

yes.gif to all of this trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

ill take the worst RUSH any day over the best DT.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 21 2011, 09:25 AM)

When I listen to a new Rush album, I'm not sitting there comparing any of the new songs to any of their past material. Caravan to Tom Sawyer or BU2B to Freewill. It just makes no sense IMO.

Maybe it's just me, but I never go into a new Rush album expecting it to sound like one of their classic albums. The MP's and PeW's happened, and thankfully so. But, this isn't 1981 anymore...it's 2011. It's the same thing I always said about those who keep asking for Terry Brown to come back...just because he was there to produce the "golden era" of Rush, doesn't mean he's going to automatically give us another MP or AFTK.

If there is one thing I've learned from Rush over the years, it's that no two albums sound alike. Each one can stand alone on it's own, and that's great. To me, it's really the magic of this band.

I feel sorry for those that don't hear the greatness of Caravan and BU2B. I have high hopes for the forthcoming album...afterall, they haven't let me down yet.  1022.gif

goodpost.gif

Based on Caravan & BU2B, their playing on the TM tour, their general attitude and everything else I've seen and heard I think there's a strong possibility the next album could well be the best since Power Windows.

yes.gif icon_alienjig.gif common001.gif cheer.gif 1287.gif 1022.gif

I really can't believe that some people on this forum are STILL harping on about Peart's lyrics.

OK, He doesn't like religion, He is not a "believer" His lyrics are always in the First Person.

Peart hates organized religion. So do I, as do many other people in this world. However, we are accepting of the "Faithful" we tolerate their beliefs and simply get on with life...

Not so the religious unfortunately, their "faith" clouds their judgement and opinions due to their subsequent brainwashing. To the the degree that they can't like a song due to the writer expressing his OWN opinions regarding said religious beliefs...

BU2B and Caravan rock.. Clockwork Angels will be immense.