Latest Album Update

Tony R

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished the interview...

Great stuff!

Hearing how many of the songs will be lengthy is certainly promising...to me, anyways.

Also, he answered the question that I remember seeing before about why they didn't put the 'I Love You Man' skit on the DVD. Bottom line, too many legal issues, and too many hoops to jump through to get it.

Either way, loved hearing the interview! The fact that all the songs are written and they are now full-on recording is great! The lengths of the songs is really just icing on the cake for this Rush fan! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Sin City @ Nov 18 2011, 02:39 PM)
70 minutes of music isn't good news, tho. That equates to about 30 minutes of filler ohmy.gif

Not on this record I bet. Love the part about the intense playing. I think Rush are going prog again. Woo hoo. I really thought there would be at least one song over ten minutes on here though.

QUOTE (Sin City @ Nov 18 2011, 03:01 PM)
For rush to go prog, they'd need to sack Geddy. He's just not into that kind of music anymore. And he's the one who wears the trousers when it comes to songwriting.

Caravan is the most prog Rush have been since Permanent Waves. I guess they sacked Geddy for that song. LOL

QUOTE (Sin City @ Nov 18 2011, 03:09 PM)
Caravan's prog? If you say so wink.gif

I wouldn't call it prog. It's a heavy rock song with some prog leanings. At this point, I'll take some prog leanings. Or really, just some good jams. "Caravan" has a good jam in the middle, and it's a weird song, which means they're thinking outside the box again. I'll take that.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 18 2011, 04:18 PM)

I wouldn't call it prog. It's a heavy rock song with some prog leanings. At this point, I'll take some prog leanings. Or really, just some good jams. "Caravan" has a good jam in the middle, and it's a weird song, which means they're thinking outside the box again. I'll take that.

goodpost.gif

Exactly. I don't need them to go "full-on prog". But, if they can piece together some crazy instrumental breaks / jams (ie. Freewill), then I am all for it.

We know that they still have the chops! So, use them! Bring that complexity back...

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 18 2011, 03:18 PM)

Well ok.....it's has the most prog "leanings" since PW. The jam section definitely reminds me of Freewill. I get just a little GUP vibe with BU2B just because of the way Alex uses the guitar for emotion plus the background keys and I love GUP. After being slightly let down with SnA I think they are going in o totally different direction and I can't wait to hear it.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Nov 18 2011, 04:50 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 18 2011, 03:18 PM)

Well ok.....it's has the most prog "leanings" since PW. The jam section definitely reminds me of Freewill. I get just a little GUP vibe with BU2B just because of the way Alex uses the guitar for emotion plus the background keys and I love GUP. After being slightly let down with SnA I think they are going in o totally different direction and I can't wait to hear it.

1022.gif goodpost.gif

It almost sounds like they're following some sort of formula to keep the songs at that length. Either that or it has something to do with this:

GUY: "I guess you guys are going for radio play as usual."

ALEX: "Yeah, as usual"

I want a real, 10+ minute epic on CA, not a radio friendly thing. Expectations have gone down a notch.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Nov 18 2011, 08:04 PM)
It almost sounds like they're following some sort of formula to keep the songs at that length. Either that or it has something to do with this:

I want a real, 10+ minute epic on CA, not a radio friendly thing. Expectations have gone down a notch.

That was a joke by the interviewer because he considered 7 minute songs quite long for radio. I would like a ten minute song as well but multi seven minute songs are still pretty epic. I think Jacobs Ladder is like seven something long.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Nov 18 2011, 09:23 PM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Nov 18 2011, 08:04 PM)

That was a joke by the interviewer because he considered 7 minute songs quite long for radio. I would like a ten minute song as well but multi seven minute songs are still pretty epic. I think Jacobs Ladder is like seven something long.

My mistake, I was thinking that you can cut down a 7 minute song for radio play by removing the instrumental sections or a verse or two. It would work with some songs.

Jacob's ladder is why I don't want CA to be 7 minutes. It's too short for an epic. I find that The Camera Eye is the minimum for a Rush Epic.

Edited by USB Connector

QUOTE (Sin City @ Nov 18 2011, 02:39 PM)
70 minutes of music isn't good news, tho. That equates to about 30 minutes of filler ohmy.gif

What made you determine that?

But anyway, this is awesome. I love hearing news about the new album. It makes me feel like a little kid on Christmas. This album is going to be my first as a Rush fan, so I feel it's gonna be special to me. I really like that the songs are going to be longer, and that the playing is "intense." I'm also glad that there will be a few songs that are melodic. I love heavy stuff, but sometimes melodic stuff is a nice change to have at points. I really hope that they'll bring in more keyboards into the songs to add texture and atmosphere to the songs. Man, I can't wait for this album!

What made me determine that?

Well, all the classic albums 2112, AFTK, hemispheres, waves and pictures are no more than 40 minutes long. Power windows was probably the last great album they recorded and thats 44 minutes long. Very few duds if any in that collection of records.

Since windows the albums have got longer with much more filler, tai shan, high water, superconductor, face up, neurotica, virtually all of counterparts and test for echo. And both vapour trails and snakes are about 3 or 4 songs too long.

QUOTE (Sin City @ Nov 19 2011, 07:46 AM)
What made me determine that?
Well, all the classic albums 2112, AFTK, hemispheres, waves and pictures are no more than 40 minutes long. Power windows was probably the last great album they recorded and thats 44 minutes long. Very few duds if any in that collection of records.
Since windows the albums have got longer with much more filler, tai shan, high water, superconductor, face up, neurotica, virtually all of counterparts and test for echo. And both vapour trails and snakes are about 3 or 4 songs too long.

Vapor Trails is about an hour too long...

I just want the band to acknowledge where their strengths lie, which is playing music. This pattern they seem to have got into whereby they repeat choruses ad nauseam is just annoying. Sure they would become predictable if every song was an extended jam but the band should consider getting back to a more cinematic and expansive style.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Nov 19 2011, 03:11 AM)
I just want the band to acknowledge where their strengths lie, which is playing music. This pattern they seem to have got into whereby they repeat choruses ad nauseam is just annoying. Sure they would become predictable if every song was an extended jam but the band should consider getting back to a more cinematic and expansive style.

I think that is where they are headed.