What was the first Rush song you learned?

kevorkazito

Just wondering which song you learned to play first when you got into Rush?

I play guitar, and back in 1979 I was big into AC/DC. Just started a band and the bassist started playing 'Bastille Day'. I really liked the riff and groove of the song. Within a month I was a huge Rush fan (like, I suddenly wanted a semi-acoustic electric).

After BD... it was Working Man, and incidentally, that's where I learned how to solo! It was so great to see Alex in Lighted Stage playing all over the neck (in that documentary they were making about teenagers), because, that is how I started soloing; just go nuts!

I started playing Drums in 1980 and i discovered Rush in 1980 , so i guess it was The Spirit of Radio.

My bass instructor first taught me one of the riffs from "Spirit of Radio." Just a snippet. He also showed me the main guitar riff from "Fly By Night" (although I was playing it on bass). His teaching trick was to give me just enough "fun stuff" (Rush licks) to play, while I was beginning to find my way around the neck and learn theory. A mix of work and play, to keep me interested but keep me learning.

The first FULL song I learned was "Limelight," and it's still one of my favorites to play. That, and "Freewill."

Edited by GeddyRulz

I was taking classical piano lessons at the time and a friend of mine had a Ibanez Iceman. He came over one day and played the intro to passage to Bangkok . I got curious after he left it over my house one night and that's when I first picked up a guitar. I can't remember if the first thing I learned was that intro or the intro to Limelight. memories are a little fuzzy for back then. The first complete song I can remember learning was spirit of radio without the solo. it still takes me a while to warm up the fingers to play the intro after all these years.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Oct 20 2011, 01:43 PM)
His teaching trick was to give me just enough "fun stuff" (Rush licks) to play, while I was beginning to find my way around the neck and learn theory. A mix of work and play, to keep me interested but keep me learning.

I've been doing this on my own. Since I started on guitar again last fall, I've been working mostly on Rush songs along with chords and scales. I make myself do those first then I get to play around with the Rush stuff. It's a good incentive program. wink.gif

The first song I learned to play all the way through was the acoustic version of Resist.

Closer To the Heart on the ocarina.

Its the melody that Geddy sings plus a version of the intro and a couple of bits of the melody to "connect" the song together. The guitar solo part I haven't tried yet! I'm gonna try it on the flute once I've got back into playing it.

QUOTE (nightcruiser @ Oct 20 2011, 03:56 PM)
Found Rush in 75, Started with the simple stuff. I think it was "Reasons".

Which album is that on? I was sure I had them all.

wink.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Oct 20 2011, 09:00 PM)
The All The World's a Stage album...in order...on drums!

So:

Bastille Day was first!

Man, I would've loved to jam with you as I did mostly the same... wasn't it nice to have the break while playing 'In The End'? trink39.gif

I was taking guitar lessons in '77 and told my instructor that I liked Rush - he showed me In the Mood and I still love to play that tune! Like another post that's active right now, I love the intro to Show Don't Tell and had fun learning to play that one, too...

I'm a keyboardist..and was introduced to RUSH during Signals for being exactly that! Hence......Subdivisions followed by Losing It and Coutdown!

My friend wanted to know if I could do the solos! He was impressed!

rofl3.gif