Building Upon "Grand Designs." Does The Synth

RUSHHEAD666

Just ran a search on the Forum for "Grand Designs" and I didn't find anything.

I had to put in my Japan SHM "Power Windows" cd tonight for the first time.

So we typed a bit about "The Big Money" but what do you guys and gals think of "Grand Designs?"

I think that opening synth part is too much to handle yet through all of the keyboard layers Alex and Neil save the day on that tune.

I love Lifeson's guitar parts throughout the entire song. The solo is fantastic but I love the guitar riff even more.

I can't explain it on a Forum in type, but it's that killer Alex groove underneath all of that synthesizer stuff.

If you listen to the song, Alex's guitar part that I am talking about is at 1:38.

The guitar part goes "duh duh duh.......... duhnanananna."

Underrated tune.

If Rush were to play this song on their next tour I would be one happy camper.

It's yet another polished diamond in the rough of a "mass production scheme."

Pun intended. laugh.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 12 2011, 11:12 PM)
I LOVE Grand Designs. Middletown Dreams, GD and Emotion Detector are my top three from that album.

Sweet Clark!!

As you can see I'm obsessing over "Power Windows" tonight.

Never gets old. trink39.gif

Ok, just finished listening and that arpeggio synth sprinkled throughout the song is indeed a bit much. But what else do you expect from 80's rock. The rest of the song, however, is quite catchy. Alex's guitar work is especially slick on this track. And the solo is killer! It's like a sonic storm of electrical currents scorching the air. Wow, I am really stoned right now. sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (Boyd @ Oct 12 2011, 11:30 PM)
Ok, just finished listening and that arpeggio synth sprinkled throughout the song is indeed a bit much. But what else do you expect from 80's rock. The rest of the song, however, is quite catchy. Alex's guitar work is especially slick on this track. And the solo is killer! It's like a sonic storm of electrical currents scorching the air. Wow, I am really stoned right now. sarcasm.gif

rofl3.gif

That's okay. Rush sounds really good in that condition. cool10.gif wink.gif

I agree about Grand Designs. I really have grown to love PW - it's been in the CD player in my car for the past week. Alex's guitar work is quite intricate - I think that despite his complaints about having to find where the guitar parts go on PW, he managed to create some extremely complex and atmospheric riffs and solos. I think it may have driven him to think outside the box, as it were. The solo in Emotion Detector also stands out for me.

The synths are no more cheesy than the synths on any other Rush song really. But I do find that Grand Designs stands out for me from that album. It's one of my fave songs from that album and it would be a real treat to have it back in the live set.

Also from that era, bring back Turn the Page! 653.gif

I am going to disagree...the synths rock...competely worked for the times....and the strong drive forward very well throughout...

One of, if not the BEST, tune on Power Windows.....

I think the synth arpeggio works very well in the context of this song - I don't find the tone that annoying either. What I really love about this song are the Geddy / Neil punches during the fade out. After 20 years of listening to this I still can never count / tap out the timing on those damn punches! That's one of my favorite Rush song endings ever.

cheers,

ew

I love the keyboards in that song. So bright and triumphant! Such a wonderful contrast to the sharp, angular guitar. And the lyrics are outstanding. One of my favorites from that album.

I cant beleive how much I used to hate Power Windows. Back in 85 I was of the "old Rush good, new Rush bad" mindset (some things never change lol)

Today, Power Windows not only ranks as one of my alltime favorite Rush albums - but I feel it is one of the best produced albums of its time.

A soaring, experimental masterpiece. The definative "synth" album - and easily the peak of that era. I'm glad they made the wise decision to move away from heavy syth after HYF (which was overdone).

Power Windows is also one of Geddys strongest vocal performances - Grand Designs being a prime example.

i saw them play grand designs as an encore on the power windows tour.

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Oct 13 2011, 05:01 AM)
...that particular keyboard part made GD the worst song on PoW so....f'n....cheezy...

they're only 'cheezy' [sic] if you have no historical perspective

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Oct 13 2011, 02:58 PM)
Love the song. I've never had a problem with the synths in it at all.

Agreed

Tot, Welcome to TRF!

thanks for the welcome lyndsey g! don't know how often i'll be on, but its nice to be welcomed! tongue.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Oct 13 2011, 02:36 PM)
QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Oct 13 2011, 05:01 AM)
...that particular keyboard part made GD the worst song on PoW so....f'n....cheezy...

they're only 'cheezy' [sic] if you have no historical perspective

Whatever...It was cheezy in '85 and it's even more cheezy now.