Dog Years vs. I Think I'm Going Bald

drbirdsong

Which song is the worse one?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Which song is the worse one?

• Dog Years
    • I Think I'm Going Bald
    • Other

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Sep 21 2011, 03:36 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 20 2011, 12:37 AM)
facepalm.gif

How could any real Rush fan rip on "I Think I'm Going Bald?"
It's one of the most underrated songs in their musical canon.

You do know why the boys wrote that song right?

It was to pay homage to KISS for their song "Goin' Blind."  After all Rush did open for KISS over 100 times back in the early Seventies.

"Dog Years" is pure dog shit and should not be compared to something off of the EPIC MASTERPIECE "COS."

"Carve Away The Stone" VS "Dog Years" would have been better.

I hate "Carve Away The Stoned"  One of the worst songs ever written.

cool10.gif

Agreed...Though as much as I agree with you about Carve, I would substitute Superconductor, the only song I think that could beat DY in a worst of battle.

No list of crappy Rush lyrics can be without "Half the World".

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 19 2011, 11:09 PM)
"I Think I'm Going Bald" is a heavy metal masterpiece!

1022.gif

[Even though I have more hair than the average seven TRFers]

wacko.gif <<< Neil: "Oh God I hate that song and now I'm as bald as Lifeson!!"

Hahahaha! I totally agree Duck!! METAL ON METAL!

Signed,

ANVIL

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 21 2011, 06:46 PM)
I'm sorry if that post offended you. I just needed to vent after a tough day.

No problem...not much offends me...and I'm not trying to offend anyone, I'm just giving my opinion of the lyrics, which I find banal. If you get something out of them, great...to each his own. Sorry if I offended you...

trink39.gif

Edited by laughedatbytime

QUOTE (The Mighty Dudad @ Sep 20 2011, 06:25 AM)
Isn't that one of the great things about Rush?? That different people can listen to the exact same song and come away with a completely different feeling about it? I happen to like Dog Years more the I Think I'm Going Bald (even though much of the lyrics are cringe-worthy). However, neither are their worst. That honor goes to the steaming pile of ---- called Rivendell. If that was the first Rush song I had ever heard, it would have also been the last. Disagree? That's fine...reread first two sentences.

I agree that's one of the great things about Rush. Everyone has different reasons for liking or disliking certain songs. I happen to love Rivendell, but understand why some don't. I like "I Think I'm going Bald" because it's funny. I dislike "You Bet Your Life" because it's bland and unimaginative. There are so many songs in Rush's catalogue, there's something for all of their many varied fans.

Go Rush! Keep writing!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 20 2011, 08:56 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 20 2011, 06:47 PM)
QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Sep 20 2011, 06:47 PM)
They're about the same for me, and I don't hate either. I like the mixture of humor and wistfulness common to both. I crack up when Geddy says "I think I'm...I'm going bald." The delivery is just hilarious...

Yeeeeah... well, for me, I'm not looking for hilarity in my Rush songs. Humor, wit, satire, sure. But jokes, no. I'm not looking to laugh.

Yeah, I'm glad the boys have the awesome senses of humor they do, but in their songs? Doesn't work for me.

The only time it really works for me that springs to mind is in Red Lenses, but that's more clever word play than overt attempts at humor.

Okey dokey. I'm going to try and dig myself out of this hole I've apparently fallen in. Maybe "hilarious" and "crack up" were too strong of word choices. I don't want to give the impression I spend the whole 3 1/2 - 5 minutes wetting myself laughing. I well realize that these songs have a serious facet to them about realizing life is too short when you get older, there are too many demands on one's time, it's a struggle to be yourself amidst the expectations one has of you as an adult, etc. etc. Yes, I realize there is more here than lost hair or dogs.

However, I also realize that when a person is in this situation, thinking about these things, they often look to humor as one of the few ways to break the tension, and this too comes across in the song.

Or am I wrong, because you all have been fans since 1974, and I just joined in last year, and spend some of my time checking out the guys instead of pondering song lyrics 100% of the time?

All I know is right about now I've been made to feel like I'm not worthy as a fan, and let me tell you, I'm no longer cracking up, or thinking things are hilarious.

It seems to me

As we make our own few circles round the block

We've lost our senses

For the higher level static of talk

Doesn't sound like much of a joke to me.

Once we loved the flowers

Now we ask the price of the land

Once we would take the water

But now it must be wine

Now we've been and now we've seen

What price peace of mind

Not such a silly sentiment if you ask me. No attempt at humor there, failed or not.

I like both. I like Dog Years a lot. Didn't at first until I watched Neil's Work in Progress video and I got an intimate look into how he built and plays the song. It was cool. I also feel the following line is brilliant and hits right down the middle:

I'd rather be a tortoise from Galapagos

Or a span of geological time

But, I'll always have a soft spot for I Think I'm Going Bald. 3 main reasons: killer guitar work, I'm bald now too, and mostly because of this... biggrin.gif

Edited by Pags

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Sep 21 2011, 03:43 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Sep 21 2011, 08:07 AM)
Worse then both of them....Neurotica

no.gif

yes.gif

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Sep 21 2011, 11:37 PM)
It seems to me
We've lost our senses

But now it must be wine
What price peace of mind

Not such a silly sentiment if you ask me. No attempt at humor there, failed or not.

In a dog's life

A year is really more like seven

And all too soon a canine

Will be chasing cars in doggie heaven

Doggie heaven. Right. A grown-up singing a song to other grown-ups uses the words 'doggie heaven'. Okay.

The entire premise of 'Bald is retarded because they were in their 20's at the time. Lyrically, that's a song more appropriate for them *now* than it was then. It's mostly a pretty serious song, despite the way Geddy sings it, which comes off more like a joke than anything else.

It reminds me of teenagers who write horrible poetry about life when all they've experienced is what they've seen on television or observed hanging out at Starbucks.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 22 2011, 09:55 AM)
It seems to me
We've lost our senses

But now it must be wine
What price peace of mind

In a dog's life

Doggie heaven. Right. A grown-up singing a song to other grown-ups uses the words 'doggie heaven'. Okay.

The entire premise of 'Bald is retarded because they were in their 20's at the time. Lyrically, that's a song more appropriate for them *now* than it was then. It's mostly a pretty serious song, despite the way Geddy sings it, which comes off more like a joke than anything else.

It reminds me of teenagers who write horrible poetry about life when all they've experienced is what they've seen on television or observed hanging out at Starbucks.

What the H is wrong with believing in Doggie heaven????

..My dog died in 2005,and I miss her every single F*&kin' day.

...I'm hoping someday to seeing and petting her again.

There ain't nothin' frickin' wrong with that.......imo.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Sep 22 2011, 01:57 PM)
I've never heard of a Rush song called "Other". Is it a B-side?

It was left off A Farewell To Kings due to space restrictions.

I just listen to to ITIGB and I have come to the conclusion that Lakeside Park may be worse. I do the like the live version, though.

Right now The Necromancer is giving me the chills. Now that is a good song.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Sep 22 2011, 03:38 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Sep 22 2011, 01:57 PM)
I've never heard of a Rush song called "Other".  Is it a B-side?

It was left off A Farewell To Kings due to space restrictions.

Ahhhhh!

I thought maybe it was the hidden 11th track on Hold Your Fire or something.

Just can't get into threads like this. Worst rush song?? What kind of topic is that??

I'm disappointed in you.

All of you...

wink.gif. ph34r.gif

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Sep 21 2011, 09:24 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 20 2011, 08:56 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 20 2011, 06:47 PM)
QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Sep 20 2011, 06:47 PM)
They're about the same for me, and I don't hate either. I like the mixture of humor and wistfulness common to both. I crack up when Geddy says "I think I'm...I'm going bald." The delivery is just hilarious...

Yeeeeah... well, for me, I'm not looking for hilarity in my Rush songs. Humor, wit, satire, sure. But jokes, no. I'm not looking to laugh.

Yeah, I'm glad the boys have the awesome senses of humor they do, but in their songs? Doesn't work for me.

The only time it really works for me that springs to mind is in Red Lenses, but that's more clever word play than overt attempts at humor.

Okey dokey. I'm going to try and dig myself out of this hole I've apparently fallen in. Maybe "hilarious" and "crack up" were too strong of word choices. I don't want to give the impression I spend the whole 3 1/2 - 5 minutes wetting myself laughing. I well realize that these songs have a serious facet to them about realizing life is too short when you get older, there are too many demands on one's time, it's a struggle to be yourself amidst the expectations one has of you as an adult, etc. etc. Yes, I realize there is more here than lost hair or dogs.

However, I also realize that when a person is in this situation, thinking about these things, they often look to humor as one of the few ways to break the tension, and this too comes across in the song.

Or am I wrong, because you all have been fans since 1974, and I just joined in last year, and spend some of my time checking out the guys instead of pondering song lyrics 100% of the time?

All I know is right about now I've been made to feel like I'm not worthy as a fan, and let me tell you, I'm no longer cracking up, or thinking things are hilarious.

I don't think anyone intended you to feel that way.

You have a completely valid opinion. We just see it a little different. It's just a discussion board, and there are as many different opinions and views as there are people here.

I give my opinions all the time that are often wildly unpopular, but it's totally cool with me if people completely disagree with me, or if even a little bit of verbal sparring goes on, as long as people don't get personal, which rarely happens. Really, we're just talking about music, and everyone's different. Try not to take it too much to heart.

I might disagree with your opinion, but I respect it and your right to have it.

QUOTE (go2wrk@95974 @ Sep 22 2011, 11:49 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 22 2011, 09:55 AM)
It seems to me
We've lost our senses

But now it must be wine
What price peace of mind

In a dog's life

What the H is wrong with believing in Doggie heaven????

..My dog died in 2005,and I miss her every single F*&kin' day.

...I'm hoping someday to seeing and petting her again.

There ain't nothin' frickin' wrong with that.......imo.

Conceptually, there's nothing wrong with it. If you want to believe in heaven, that's fine. If you want to believe that your dog will be there, that's great. The problem I have with those lyrics isn't the concept, it's the phrasing. "Doggie heaven" is what you tell your 3-year-old when his puppy dies.