The very first time you ever saw them live.

alexlifeson-

I love how different ideas and questions come to mind depending on what Rush song I'm listening to, and right now I'm listening to Second Nature so I'm like, tearing up for some reason, haha. laugh.gif

My question, though, is what did you feel when you saw Rush in concert for the first time? All the emotions you felt? The amazing blast of excitement and adoration and happiness?

I remember when I first saw them, I was screaming with excitement and happiness when they started playing. I couldn't believe it. I just couldn't. I was finally there, I was finally at the concert of this band that had saved my life, that had helped me through so much, and means everything to me. Absolutely everything. I bet I could've cried if I'd thought of it enough. But it was just so amazing. It was a dream come true.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was simply amazed. I liked it even more than what I expected. Absolutely enjoyed listening to all my favorite songs. And a few new ones as well. Finally got the right lyrics to some of Tom Sawyer's lines. Some songs did nothing for me- but that is to be expected. Overall one of the best concerts I have attended.

BLOWN AWAY

mainly my eardrums

wink.gif tongue.gif

No, I kid, I kid. They were amazing!!! Just a surreal experience. If Huskers have the best fans in college football, then RUSH has the best fans in the music industry. There really is nothing like it. NOTHING.

I would shell out everything to go to another concert! yes.gif

Roll the Bones, Dallas. I remember being really, really happy. Like, if there's a definition of pure happy, that was me.

I also remember that at the time, the band had a reputation for playing the songs live just the same way they were put on the albums, with a few exceptions (like the ending of CTTH or Big Money). So, I went into it thinking that it was going to be like that... then they played the extended version of Bravado. To this day, that remains my favorite live moment.

I always love telling this story.

I was a member of a Christian Singing Group when I was in my teens. A large number of the group were going to see this concert and asked if I wanted to go. I didn't know who Rush was, but agreed. I'll never forget praying in the car before we went into the show, and there were about 7 people just staring at us when we were praying! laugh.gif

That was the Grace Under Pressure tour in Buffalo, and I haven't missed a tour since.

Edited by Draco

My bro and friends were huge Rush fans since the 70's and I wasnt. They had an extra ticket to go to the HYF tour in Philly and asked me to go. I just started playing bass at the time and was familiar with a few of their songs, but I cant say I was a fan. So I went and they blew me away. I didnt think a band could sound that good live. I became a fan that day and havent left since.

I saw Rush for the first time in Vancouver, BC on the current 'Time Machine Tour'. It was the greatest milestone in my life.

I don't go to concerts a lot because they are expensive.

I went with another Rush female fan that lives nearby in which we saw a Jacob Moon solo concert together first in November 2010 locally.

Then we went to an April Wine concert back in April of this year and then saw Rush together in June with others.

The surreal moment for me at the Rush Vancouver concert was meeting musician/producer Ben Mink (who played the electric violin on 'Losing It', strings on 'Faithless' and collaborated on the 'My Favorite Headache' album). Ben was a row behind me two seats down, and is most known for producing k.d. lang.

I had the opportunity to shake Ben's hand and say thank you for his contributions to Rush and other great musical acts he has worked with such as the Canadian folk band Stringband, the Canadian progressive rock band FM, k.d. lang, Dan Hill and most recently Heart.

Here are a couple of clips from the recent Heart DVD 'Live At Sky Church' which featured appearances by Ben Mink on violin and guitar.

Safronia's Mark - Heart feat. Alison Krauss

Your Long Journey - Alison Krauss feat. Heart

Edited by RushFanForever

Sheer bliss. One of the best times of my life.

The two concerts I saw during the TM tour, I will never forget.

Edited by USB Connector

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Sep 3 2011, 08:20 PM)
I was just in awe both times I saw them. The 2 shows I went to were 2 of the best nights of my life.

This, but I saw them 3 times.

I had been a fan for four years by the time I got around to seeing them live which was April 22, 1986 in Greensboro, NC on the Power Windows tour.

I remember having a great time on a school night. biggrin.gif

didnt compare to the Hold Your Fire show though when I saw two years later. Still ranks as my fave.

Actually, alexlifeson- and I were at the same show. Like her, I was completely amazed. I couldn't believe that I was there, my first ever show to see my favorite band live. I couldn't believe that I was in the presence of the Holy Triumvirate. Tears were in my eyes during certain songs, "Faithless" and "Witch Hunt," and during other songs I was rocking out. For all the songs, I was singing along. I had waited five months for that night, and it was one that I will forever remember. tongue.gif

The only downside is that the show passed by so quickly. It was a three-hour set, but it felt like twenty minutes. Time flies when you're enjoying incredible music by an incredible band, I guess. ohmy.gif

The story of my first show, a year ago yesterday, is the first post of this thread where I introduced myself on the board:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=59785

I became the fan I am today at that show. A year later, I'm still feeling everything I posted in that thread. I walked into that concert as dead as one can be and still be living. I walked out alive.

icon_alienjig.gif 2.gif common001.gif

I saw Rush in 1981 when I was 13 with my cousin who was also 13. It was my first concert but he was a veteran of concert going by that time, having already seen Rush 3 times prior as well as numerous bands numerous times. All of his friends were all 17 or 18 and they all told me before the show that every concert I would see in the near future would pale in comparison to what I was about to see. They were right.

I was blown away how every fan at the show sang every lyric to every song (including the sing along to "Closer To The Heart"). The entire coliseum was in unison to every note and quiet during the quieter parts, unlike shows I've seen where everyone is just there to party and get drunk and yell and scream every second of the show. Oh, and the entire coliseum was pungent with aromic smells of cool10.gif .

The whole experience was something I'll remember forever, moreso than most of the concerts I've seen.

The reason i am so into Rush today is because of the RTB show in 1991 or 1992.. I always liked Rush, but was never totally into them. A few of my college dorm buddies were going to see them so i asked them to get me a ticket because i recalled a guy telling me once, "if you ever get a chance to see Rush, don't miss it." A week or so before the show, the guys that bought the tickets told me they forgot to buy me one. I was really bummed, but it wasn't the end of the world. At the time i liked Rush, but never really heard alot of the catalog to be a die hard fan so i wasnt that disappointed.

Day before the show comes, someone can't go. The ticket is mine. I'm going to the Rush show. We arrive at the show and Primus is playing. (was a little late getting there). I sit in my seat, take a hit from a weed pipe and enjoy the music and the crowd. Primus finishes, this guy sitting next to me asks, "ever seen Rush before?" I say "no". He say's you're in for a treat. So im thinking, this ought to be pretty cool.

Lights go down, Intro comes on, then they break into Force Ten. Now i had never heard this song before and i remember thinking, "man the sound is so perfect and that guy behind the drum kit is amazing. " I could see how good Neil was in about 30 seconds. About halfway into the show i had probably known about 2-3 songs tops. The main thing that stood out to me was Neil Peart, and the clarity of the music i was hearing. It was breathtaking, and quite amazing that 3 men could create this pure bliss.

I also recall a guy saying "YES!!!!! XANADU!!!!" Another song i had not heard. I beleive that that was the song that night that convinced me that this is possibly the best band in the world. I was completely beside myself and blown away. The lights, and the music were pure perfection.

I did not move from my seat the entire night. I just sat there, jaw on the floor, in pure amazement. After the show, i drove home and could not stop thinking about what i had just seen. The next morning, i woke up a Rush junkie. I started buying everything starting with all the CD's (cause all i had was moving pictures), and then the boots. And then someone told me they had live concert VHS tapes out there. I bought a surround sound system for my TV just so i could listen to A show of hands with good sound on my TV. Then i found out about Grace Under Pressure live VHS. Anyway, that's how my Rush addiction began and continues to this day.

A guy backing out of a concert changed my music life forever.

It was great. I really didn't know too much of their music when I saw them, and I still don't know most of it, but I am becoming familar with more and more of it now.

Still though, I enjoyed the experience. It was great. And when they ripped into Subdivisions I was ecstatic. Really great night for me and it was even better because I talked to a couple of audience members around me about their thoughts on Rush and other music. Cool night for sure and I hope to see them in the future many more times (as long as they keep touring).

My 1st RUSH concert was 6-9-81, at the San Diego sports arena.

Me and a buddy had seats on the floor about

15-20 rows back,on Geddys side...it was flippin AWESOME!!! 2.gif

That show was part of the MP tour,so they played a mixure

of old and new, that night.It went on for 3 hrs, and the place frickin' rockin' ,

big time...and people were gettin stoned all over the place. cool10.gif

I wasn't though..I was gettin high on the music!!

Oh yeah..and there were more foxxxxy chicks at that gig,

then you could shake a stick at!! It was completely unreal!

Very memorable night, all the way around. yes.gif applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Edited by go2wrk@95974

I've been enjoying everyone's stories! Such positive vibes!

I was supposed to have my first Rush concert in 2002 - my brother had bought tickets for the two of us, but his girlfriend (who didn't really know who Rush was) found the tickets and assumed they were for the two of them. I was bummed, but made sure to take the next opportunity - in 2008.

The concert blew me away. I had this elated feeling of, "I can't believe I'm really here, and that they're really there, and I'm hearing all this live music right now!" The musicianship was amazing, and most importantly, it looked like they were having fun (well, even stony-faced Neil, too! ;p ).

The Time Machine concert in Vancouver was even better. Hands down the best show I've ever been to. So much positive energy, such good music. I had tears during 'Time Stand Still' and 'Faithless'.

Rush shows are really something special. Excuse my punnyness, but they're really elevated above the norm. ph34r.gif The majority of the people are there because they are true fans, who've learned the songs word-for-word, who don't want to take bathroom breaks because they'll miss a song, who are in their 50s or 30s or teens - several generations united together through music. It's kind of transcending.

I challenge anyone to say they've had a bad Rush concert! trink39.gif

As you can see from my syg., it was 22nd May 2011. Time Machine. It had been about 10 years that I had last been to a rock concert and at the time and all previous times I was standing and, being small, couldnt see anything.

I was so excited and a bit scared. Gilby asked me why and said "you're not performing the concert!" I remember laughing at that.

When we got in there though, it was as if the excitement was lifted from me. I was in a sea of calm. Then the show started and when they started playing Spirit Of Radio, I started to cry. I knew most of the words to all the songs. Gilby had his arm around me. We didn't have the best seats but I had the best view of any concert I'd ever been to. At the time I didn't know that Neil's kit rotated, a big surprise!

It was easily the best gig I've experienced.

2.gif

For me it was the 11th May 1983 when I received my 'Signals from Rush'. We arrived very early at the venue and some guys of the roadcrew were playin' Baseball in front of the hall. We talked to one of them (didn't know his name) and after a while he said to me: 'You're a funny guy, do you need a job??' I was only 16 and hadn't finished school at the time so I didn't take the opportunity. Today I often think: 'What if...???' ah, sweet memories.

I remember the excitement that caught me as the Intro began to play. Alex played the first tones of 'The Spirit Of Radio' and suddenly the whole place was bathed in light. One of the best live sounds to date overwhelmed our ears. Almost perfect. They continued with an outstanding list of Signals songs such as: Digital Man, The Analog Kid, The Weapon (Count Floyd Intro), Countdown, Subdivisions, New World Man... and mixed all up with some all time classics: Broon's Bane-The Trees, almost all of Moving Pictures, Xanadu, La Villa Strangiato, Freewill, 2112 (Overture/Temples), In The Mood, Closer To The Heart...

One of my best live experiences ever - Signals from 2.gif

The first time I saw RUSH I felt like a little kid. Well, actually I was a little kid tongue.gif . I was 10 when I saw The New World Tour. I went with a few of my older bros. With no parents in sight, I rode into the city in the eldest Blaze brother's late 70s dirty brown Chevy. After eating at some cheap, disgusting buffet [felt like a magical feast at the time], we headed to the arena and heard Subdivisions on the radio as we pulled in. I remember forking out a buck for a Starman decal and my brother buying me a Sigs t-shirt. When the band came on, I remember thinking that they seemed BIG. And The Spirit of Radio seemed BIG. And the arena itself seemed BIG. Hell, it's all still very BIG to me. 2.gif wub.gif