SCREW YOU GEORGE LUCAS!!!!!

Albone2112

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Sep 5 2011, 10:35 PM)
You missed the point about the protocol droid. It has to do with 3PO not being able to keep a secret to save his soul. He's not trustworthy when it comes to revealing secrets, but R2 is. That was the intent. It wasn't about the droids being scoured for info that both would contain, but that C3PO would inadvertently blurt out something about the secret whereabouts of two children, a hidden Jedi, etc. R2 was always the more trustworthy of the two and it was just Lucas playing that up. Makes perfect sense to me.

As for what a droid used to have for previous use, who's to say? The cool thing about R2 is that you never knew what he'd whip out. Claws, electric jolts, cutters....A FIRE EXTINGUISHER??

Sorry...I just couldn't get hung up on the details of what a made up robot should or shouldn't have in an arsenal of always-unexpected things. biggrin.gif It's like complaining about seeing "fire" in space when that's "impossible." This is otherwordly shit...does a droid like R2 once having rocket boosters really kill it? C'mon. That's quite petty.

So R2 knew everything and didn't spill the beans at all, even when it could have prevented loss of life and limb including Luke's? Not sure I buy that. Nor that he just lives without his jets.

Look, I'm all for suspense of belief, that's why I dug a space villain with a helmet that looked like a Nazi. And light sabres which violate the laws of physics. And fire in space.. works for me.

The other stuff just annoyed me because I found it annoyingly inconsistent. Less annoying than the inane dialogue in the prequels (especially the painful love scenes with cardboard boy), but that's another story: I enjoyed *all* the movies to one extent or another, just the first three a lot more. trink39.gif

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<geek>

Actually, R2's memory is explained in a series of novels set 35 years in the future after Jedi. Long story short, he put a bunch of "memories" meaning recordings, into a bit of his "brain" that even he couldn't access without damaging himself. It was a pretty cool sub-plot of The Dark Nest Trilogy, and in the end... spoilers.......... Luke and Leia get to see some scenes from the prequels that R2 was present for - scenes of their parents.

</geek>

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 5 2011, 10:54 PM)
<geek>
Actually, R2's memory is explained in a series of novels set 35 years in the future after Jedi. Long story short, he put a bunch of "memories" meaning recordings, into a bit of his "brain" that even he couldn't access without damaging himself. It was a pretty cool sub-plot of The Dark Nest Trilogy, and in the end... spoilers.......... Luke and Leia get to see some scenes from the prequels that R2 was present for - scenes of their parents.
</geek>

ahhh. interesting.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 5 2011, 09:54 PM)
<geek>
</geek>

"A part of his memory he couldn't access without damaging himself"?! When he put the memories there he had to, by default, ACCESS THAT PART OF HIS MEMORY! Therefore he couldn't have done it without damaging himself. Damn, what's happened to logic and critical thinking?!

So folks have taken to writing crappy novels in order to make half-assed excuses for Lucas' crappy plot points. Glad I don't read 'em.

I don't think those non-canon books are necessary. I think the suggestion lies in their respective personalities, in the films themselves, and it's a conclusion to be drawn rather than explained. Not sure what's so hard about that if you know those two characters personalities and traits. wink.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 6 2011, 11:54 AM)
<geek>
</geek>

Holy crap. Now I regret offering you some support back on page 2. tongue.gif j/k

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Sep 5 2011, 09:35 PM)
You missed the point about the protocol droid.  It has to do with 3PO not being able to keep a secret to save his soul.  He's not trustworthy when it comes to revealing secrets, but R2 is.  That was the intent.  It wasn't about the droids being scoured for info that both would contain, but that C3PO would inadvertently blurt out something about the secret whereabouts of two children, a hidden Jedi, etc.  R2 was always the more trustworthy of the two and it was just Lucas playing that up.  Makes perfect sense to me. 

....and besides, no one could ever understand what the hell R2D2 was saying.... ohmy.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 6 2011, 09:47 AM)
"Oh, Ill go out for an evening stroll and wait for Luke to follow and find me before I get taken apart for scrap on the odd chance that Obi Wan, who has aged a startling amount, will come to save us." laugh.gif

Or in other words, "Beep boop bop beepeep (skroink).. weeeeeewwww..."

R2D2 is the real hero of the Star Wars movies. yes.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 5 2011, 10:43 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Sep 5 2011, 10:35 PM)
You missed the point about the protocol droid.  It has to do with 3PO not being able to keep a secret to save his soul.  He's not trustworthy when it comes to revealing secrets, but R2 is.  That was the intent.  It wasn't about the droids being scoured for info that both would contain, but that C3PO would inadvertently blurt out something about the secret whereabouts of two children, a hidden Jedi, etc.  R2 was always the more trustworthy of the two and it was just Lucas playing that up.  Makes perfect sense to me. 

As for what a droid used to have for previous use, who's to say?  The cool thing about R2 is that you never knew what he'd whip out.  Claws, electric jolts, cutters....A FIRE EXTINGUISHER?? 

Sorry...I just couldn't get hung up on the details of what a made up robot should or shouldn't have in an arsenal of always-unexpected things.  biggrin.gif  It's like complaining about seeing "fire" in space when that's "impossible."  This is otherwordly shit...does a droid like R2 once having rocket boosters really kill it?  C'mon.  That's quite petty.

So R2 knew everything and didn't spill the beans at all, even when it could have prevented loss of life and limb including Luke's? Not sure I buy that. Nor that he just lives without his jets.

Look, I'm all for suspense of belief, that's why I dug a space villain with a helmet that looked like a Nazi. And light sabres which violate the laws of physics. And fire in space.. works for me.

The other stuff just annoyed me because I found it annoyingly inconsistent. Less annoying than the inane dialogue in the prequels (especially the painful love scenes with cardboard boy), but that's another story: I enjoyed *all* the movies to one extent or another, just the first three a lot more. trink39.gif

How about Jango Fett's really loud bombs that he tries to blow up Obi-Wan with? They were really loud, in space.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 6 2011, 06:31 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 6 2011, 11:54 AM)
<geek>
</geek>

Holy crap. Now I regret offering you some support back on page 2. tongue.gif j/k

NICE. z7shysterical.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

(just saw this response)

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 7 2011, 07:16 PM)
It's one thing to have a noise. do you remember what the bombs sounded like? It was like the THX sound got turned to 11. Obnoxious.

No, you're right, those bomb noises were ridiculous. It was kind of a... SPLANG! noise that was just... ugh. And the timing of it, you saw the explosion a half second earlier than the noise. Just weird.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Sep 7 2011, 05:29 PM)
We can go right back to the coolest weapon of all, the CONTAINED 3-foot long laser light sword. How does that work? wink.gif

They're... um... focusing crystals. They have these... crystals. That focus the beam... apparently.

Yeah, that's all I got. wacko.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 7 2011, 10:33 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 7 2011, 07:16 PM)
It's one thing to have a noise.  do you remember what the bombs sounded like?  It was like the THX sound got turned to 11.  Obnoxious.

No, you're right, those bomb noises were ridiculous. It was kind of a... SPLANG! noise that was just... ugh. And the timing of it, you saw the explosion a half second earlier than the noise. Just weird.

Well light does travel faster than sound. I thought it was pretty unique myself.

Star Wars was a game changer - we'd seen space things before, but not with a story like this and so much realism (IMO). I still remember sitting in the theater with that wonderful shot - the point of view shot as you rode into that channel on the Death Star that made it feel like you were a dive bomber... awesome.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 8 2011, 07:03 AM)
Star Wars was a game changer - we'd seen space things before, but not with a story like this and so much realism (IMO). I still remember sitting in the theater with that wonderful shot - the point of view shot as you rode into that channel on the Death Star that made it feel like you were a dive bomber... awesome.

It was basically a WW2 movie in space. There were Nazi-like bad guys and even a scene that could have been straight from an attack on a B-17.

I loved it!