SCREW YOU GEORGE LUCAS!!!!!

Albone2112

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Oct 3 2011, 05:21 PM)
Hey, has George Lucas explained why Obi-Wan Kenobi aged so badly between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hopeconfused13.gif  unsure.gif  ph34r.gif

Ya know, I looked at their ages and it's closer than you think. The time lapse between Eps III & IV is roughly 20 years, give or take. (Luke's age is never firmly established in the films and neither is Ben's for that matter. Hammil was 25 when he played the character, so it's not likely Skywalker was less than 20). The age difference between Guiness when he finished filming Star Wars and Ewan McGregor when he finished filming Sith was 27 years, which isn't too far off the 20 or so year difference between the films. Certainly not the cavernous difference that you might think. It's not like Alec was 85 and McGregor was 22 or something. biggrin.gif

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Oct 3 2011, 04:42 PM)
You completely ignored the point I was making about this being the umpteenth version of this set versus the initial sale of a hot title in Avatar in box office shattering year...and yet you expect the 5th, 7th, 23rd(?) version of Star Wars should/would still sell TWICE Avatar's numbers at 5 million + minimum? biggrin.gif It doesn't matter that it was the first time on HD. The next version is always presumed to be superior to the last, so that's always the case. BUT at some point you say to yourself, I f***ing own 8 versions of this damn thing...! 10 versions. 14 versions in the years to come. There's also the cost factor. It's $90 a pop during a shit economy. What was Avatar...$19.99? These aren't available as individual titles at $10 apiece....(yet). So price means nothing? wink.gif

And again, if this number is so terrible, why is it still a sales record (by your own admission) for previously released material?

Your 5 million unit sales expectation is also completely arbitrary, I might add, not to mention ridiculously unprecedented for this format for a previously released title, especially since the previous mark is some number below a half million units. So not sure where that number comes from. Why not just say it ought to have sold 8 million while you're at it? 10 million?

I didn't ignore anything. That it's on Blu-Ray for the first time is a huge deal, just like when it first hit DVD.

I've been a fan for 30 years. I've got two bookshelves of Star Wars novels, hundreds of Star Wars comics, and I've bought the movies on VHS twice and DVD twice. I'm the target market for the Blu-Ray release, yet I didn't buy it. Why? I think I've explained why. I'm not alone, that's my point.

Yes, 5 million is an arbitrary number, sure. But I know Star Wars. I know Star Wars fandom, and I know what this thing should have sold. Even if I was off by half, that's still 4 times as much as it actually sold.

As for being a sales record for catalog material, that's easy. Look at the catalog material that's out there right now... not a hell of a lot of competition for something like Star Wars. We all thought Star Wars was going to hold its box office records too, until Titanic came along. Let's see what happens when some other powerhouse catalog titles get the Blu-Ray treatment, because you seem to be arguing that this is as good as it gets.

I feel like we're starting to go around in circles now, so unless you have something new to add, I'd just assume let you have the last word and let this thing go. You're not going to see my point of view and I'm clearly not going to see yours. No hard feelings, this has been interesting, but I'm getting frustrated with no end in sight here.

Incidentally, Luke and Leia are 19 at the beginning of A New Hope, as established in the Expanded Universe and various source books. I know it's not in the films, but if you're looking for a number, that's as firm as it gets unless Lucas decides to put out yet another edition where A New Hope opens with a "Happy XXth Birthday!" party for Luke.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 3 2011, 07:28 PM)
Incidentally, Luke and Leia are 19 at the beginning of A New Hope, as established in the Expanded Universe and various source books. I know it's not in the films, but if you're looking for a number, that's as firm as it gets unless Lucas decides to put out yet another edition where A New Hope opens with a "Happy XXth Birthday!" party for Luke.

...sure to cut sales to a mere 76 copies when it does. biggrin.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Oct 3 2011, 06:55 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 3 2011, 07:28 PM)

...sure to cut sales to a mere 76 copies when it does. biggrin.gif trink39.gif

NICE laugh.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 4 2011, 09:28 AM)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/36/Mark_Hamill_%28crop%29.jpg