friendlyfloridian

25 members have voted

1. 1. 2112

facepalm.gif rofl3.gif Looks like somebody needs to take,well actually leave,

either a le*k or a du*p..and can't decide which

one it's gonna be!! confused13.gif no.gif scared.gif bolt.gif laugh.gif

Crude humor,I know..sorry to the ladies.

Edited by go2wrk@95974

It's a piece of cake.

1 and 2 are prime numbers; 2, notably, being the only even prime-number in all the integers. So, assume first that 1 and 2 were about to have a race along the number-line in order to find the very last prime in the set. Then, assuming they were dressed respectively as a chicken and egg, all you have to do is figure out which would come first.

...And indicate the answer in your vote (obviously).

QUOTE (Undemanding Contact @ Aug 23 2011, 04:30 PM)
It's a piece of cake.

1 and 2 are prime numbers; 2, notably, being the only even prime-number in all the integers. So, assume first that 1 and 2 were about to have a race along the number-line in order to find the very last prime in the set. Then, assuming they were dressed respectively as a chicken and egg, all you have to do is figure out which would come first.

Actually, 1 is not a prime number. I'd have to look it up to figure out what its called.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Aug 23 2011, 05:33 PM)
It's a piece of cake.

1 and 2 are prime numbers; 2, notably, being the only even prime-number in all the integers.  So, assume first that 1 and 2 were about to have a race along the number-line in order to find the very last prime in the set. Then, assuming they were dressed respectively as a chicken and egg, all you have to do is figure out which would come first.

Actually, 1 is not a prime number. I'd have to look it up to figure out what its called.

goodpost.gif 2 is the first prime.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Aug 23 2011, 03:33 PM)
It's a piece of cake.

1 and 2 are prime numbers; 2, notably, being the only even prime-number in all the integers.  So, assume first that 1 and 2 were about to have a race along the number-line in order to find the very last prime in the set. Then, assuming they were dressed respectively as a chicken and egg, all you have to do is figure out which would come first.

More than you really wanted to know.

Answer One:  By definition of prime!
The definition is as follows. 
An integer greater than one is called a prime number if its only positive divisors (factors) are one and itself. 
Clearly one is left out, but this does not really address the question "why?"

Answer Two:  Because of the purpose of primes.
The formal notion of primes was introduced by Euclid in his study of perfect numbers (in his "geometry" classic The Elements).  Euclid needed to know when an integer n factored into a product of smaller integers (a nontrivially factorization), hence he was interested in those numbers which did not factor.  Using the definition above he proved: 
The Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic 
Every positive integer greater than one can be written uniquely as a product of primes, with the prime factors in the product written in order of nondecreasing size.
Here we find the most important use of primes: they are the unique building blocks of the multiplicative group of integers.  In discussion of warfare you often hear the phrase "divide and conquer."  The same principle holds in mathematics.  Many of the properties of an integer can be traced back to the properties of its prime divisors, allowing us to divide the problem (literally) into smaller problems.  The number one is useless in this regard because a = 1.a = 1.1.a = ...  That is, divisibility by one fails to provide us any information about a. 

Answer Three: Because one is a unit.
Don't go feeling sorry for one, it is part of an important class of numbers call the units (or divisors of unity).  These are the elements (numbers) which have a multiplicative inverse.  For example, in the usual integers there are two units [1, -1].  If we expand our purview to include the Gaussian integers [a+bi | a, b are integers], then we have four units [1, -1, i, -i].  In some number systems there are infinitely many units. 
So indeed there was a time that many folks defined one to be a prime, but it is the importance of units in modern mathematics that causes us to be much more careful with the number one (and with primes).

Answer Four: By the Generalized Definition of Prime.
(See also the technical note in The prime Glossary' definition).
There was a time that many folks defined one to be a prime, but it is the importance of units and primes in modern mathematics that causes us to be much more careful with the number one (and with primes).  When we only consider the positive integers, the role of one as a unit is blurred with its role as an identity; however, as we look at other number rings (a technical term for systems in which we can add, subtract and multiply), we see that the class of units is of fundamental importance and they must be found before we can even define the notion of a prime.  For example, here is how Borevich and Shafarevich define prime number in their classic text "Number Theory:" 

An element p of the ring D, nonzero and not a unit, is called prime if it can not be decomposed into factors p=ab, neither of which is a unit in D. 
Sometimes numbers with this property are called irreducible and then the name prime is reserved for those numbers which when they divide a product ab, must divide a or b (these classes are the same for the ordinary integers--but not always in more general systems).  Nevertheless, the units are a necessary precursors to the primes, and one falls in the class of units, not primes. 

music.gif 1 is the loneliest number that you'll ever do

2 can be as bad as 1

it's the loneliest number since the number 1 music.gif

QUOTE (StuartBruce @ Aug 24 2011, 07:56 PM)
I chose the first 1 becasue it is the only number that you say as it is.

The first 2 represnets "Twenty" and the final 12 is "Twelve"

So I went with a 1

Jesus. And if you play The Wizard of Oz and Dark Side of the Moon simultaneously, the Great Gig in the Sky is playing as Dorothy's house is in the eye of the twister. cool10.gif tongue.gif pokey.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Undemanding Contact @ Aug 24 2011, 01:51 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Aug 24 2011, 01:13 PM)
wacko.gif My brain's spinning... wacko.gif

Clockwise or anti-clockwise?

laugh.gif

I'm voting for all of the above. It's a poll, not multiple choice so it's not as if I can get the question wrong!

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Aug 24 2011, 05:13 AM)
music.gif 1 is the loneliest number that you'll ever do
2 can be as bad as 1
it's the loneliest number since the number 1 music.gif

Going to see these guys in two days! Can't wait to see if they can still wail on "OOOOOOOOOOOOONE"!!!

Speaking of 2, I voted for the first one (no, not the first 1, the first 2 tongue.gif ) because once you see the first number, you know which Rush song it has to be.