Best Vocals Album

GUP1771

I really should have had a poll up for each album. It would have been nice to show HoF some love in the polls. That album usually gets bashed, or at least criticized, but it seems the general consensus around here is that it is one of the albums at the top of featuring Geddy's best vocal performance. Edited by GUP1771

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Aug 25 2011, 09:13 AM)
If you like the wailing Geddy, then I don't think anything touches 2112. He really screams like a banshee during the Temples of Syrinx and Presentation.

If you like the mellower side of Geddy, I think he still sounds fantastic on Snakes and Arrows.

I agree 100% with IL! My favorite was his screechy era of 2112, and the best boot IMHO Fifth Order of Angels has the best screeches ever.

I am also very happy with his current sound on S&A and the few Caravan songs I've heard.

QUOTE (Alexmai @ Sep 2 2011, 03:19 AM)
I love My favourite headache's vocals... bad thing? smile.gif

Funny you should mention that.... I just started listening to My Favorite Headache for the first time, and I'm liking what I hear. Soothing vocals. Particularly 'Still'.

Geddy has a reputation of 'not being the best singer', but geez, he certainly does the job! He takes a lot of flack from even his fans. But can you imagine Rush with any other singer, in any era?

Presto, IMO it focuses on vocals more than anything else and I can use it as proof that Geddy can in fact, "sing" by use of the definition associated by pop culture.

Basically when I hear this, I hear a guy who is literally unmatched in rock music in my opinion. Gets my blood racing every time I hear it, love it.

A couple years after this he came back down to Earth and I could find many singers much better than him, but for a few short years, the best in the world.

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Aug 24 2011, 10:23 PM)
I think his singing on Snakes and Arrows was some of the most melodic of Rush's career.

no offense but I couldn't disagree more. His singing and "melodys" on Snakes is mostly terrible. Most of it sounds like he's making it up on the spot with a lyric sheet in front of him

I love his voice in Mission from HYF,, amd his voice on Camera Eye gives me goose bumps

Lately im on a Hemispheres kick,, so i really like his voice on that album

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Sep 7 2011, 03:36 PM)
Uuuhh oh God. D:
Hemispheres or Presto or Hold Your Fire.
I can't decide! tongue.gif Three completely different albums but they're all soooo good.

Presto. Bam.

wub.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Aug 22 2011, 07:42 PM)
Presto. His voice really improved in the 80's. His 70's voice was alright and I do like it, but he became a much better singer. He didn't sound like he was straining to hit the high notes and he sang much more naturally. Presto was his peak imo.

Was just listening to Presto today. Geddy's voice is incredible on that album.

QUOTE (sco703 @ Sep 12 2011, 11:38 PM)
Why is it always about Geddy's vocals? How about, which album features Neil's best vocals?

Signals. His contribution to Counterparts is also a good effort, however, if it wasn't there, it wouldn't missed as much as his contribution to Signals. The same can be said for his contribution to Grace Under Pressure.

Edited by Sir Lerxst

QUOTE (Sir Lerxst @ Sep 12 2011, 06:49 PM)
QUOTE (sco703 @ Sep 12 2011, 11:38 PM)
Why is it always about Geddy's vocals? How about, which album features Neil's best vocals?

Signals. His contribution to Counterparts is also a good effort, however, if it wasn't there, it wouldn't missed as much as his contribution to Signals. The same can be said for his contribution to Grace Under Pressure.

The better question is "Which album has Alex's best backing vocals?"

QUOTE (sco703 @ Sep 12 2011, 03:38 PM)

laugh.gif

This reminds me of something he wrote (in Roadshow, IIRC). He saw someone holding up a sign that read, "Let Neil Sing!" His response was, "Be careful what you wish for." I got the distinct impression from that -- and other writings -- that he feels that his singing is best left to deserted mountain trails. wink.gif