Songs Better Than the Iconic Tracks

danielmclark

So, I've been thinking about this lately... there are some bands that are defined by one or two songs - Tom Sawyer, for example - but are those iconic tracks really the best the band has/had to offer?

Tom Sawyer might be the most iconic Rush track, but it's far from their best song, IMO. Even if someone isn't into classic rock, they've likely heard of Stairway to Heaven, making that, IMO, Zeppelin's iconic track. But I think Achilles Last Stand is far better.

What are some songs that you think are better than a band's signature track?

Here's a short list of iconic songs to get it going... curious what you think are some others.

AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long

Kiss - Rock and Roll All Night

Van Halen - Jump

Ted Nugent - Cat Scratch Fever

The Doors - Break On Through (To the Other Side)

Aerosmith - Walk This Way

Ozzy - Crazy Train

Black Sabbath - Iron Man

Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill

Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall

The Police - Every Breath You Take

The Who - Pinball Wizard

Iron Maiden--Run to the Hills

Judas Priest--You Got Another Thing Comin'

Metallica--Enter Sandman

Billy Ray Cyrus--Achy Breaky Heart

QUOTE (Can-Utility @ Aug 17 2011, 11:43 PM)
I can only assume that Illegal Alien is Genesis' "iconic track" though I think that Turn It On Again is far better

Trust me, "Illegal Alien" is FAR from being Genesis' iconic track. It really depends how you want to approach the group...You could take the Gabriel-era approach and claim "Supper's Ready," "Firth of Fifth," "The Lamb...," or "The Carpet Crawlers," (which the fanbase often does) but outside of the fans, the first Genesis song to come to most peoples minds would not be from the Gabriel-era (so do we count iconic as band-defining or most popular?). As far as the Collins-era goes, I think most people (even non-fans) would know pretty much anything off of the "Invisible Touch" album (as much as it's easy to say negative remarks about the Collins-era, most of the population wouldn't know much about the 5 previous albums before IT), but as far as labeling it "iconic," that's a bit of a stretch (is it absolutely great material? Yes, but iconic? I wouldn't say so).

...and out of all that, none of the above songs would be my favorite Genesis track, that goes to "Me and Sarah Jane" or "Home by the Sea."

Edited by Scars

QUOTE (Scars @ Aug 17 2011, 11:17 PM)
QUOTE (Can-Utility @ Aug 17 2011, 11:43 PM)
I can only assume that Illegal Alien is Genesis' "iconic track" though I think that Turn It On Again is far better

Trust me, "Illegal Alien" is FAR from being Genesis' iconic track. It really depends how you want to approach the group...You could take the Gabriel-era approach and claim "Supper's Ready," "Firth of Fifth," "The Lamb...," or "The Carpet Crawlers," (which the fanbase often does) but outside of the fans, the first Genesis song to come to most peoples minds would not be from the Gabriel-era (so do we count iconic as band-defining or most popular?). As far as the Collins-era goes, I think most people (even non-fans) would know pretty much anything off of the "Invisible Touch" album (as much as it's easy to say negative remarks about the Collins-era, most of the population wouldn't know much about the 5 previous albums before IT), but as far as labeling it "iconic," that's a bit of a stretch (is it absolutely great material? Yes, but iconic? I wouldn't say so).

...and out of all that, none of the above songs would be my favorite Genesis track, that goes to "Me and Sarah Jane" or "Home by the Sea."

*whoosh*

I'm not going to get into what constitutes an 'iconic' song but I do think most of the time in the cases of the bands that I have most of or all their output, the most popular songs are among their best. That's not to say there aren't other songs that are just as good but aren't as well known. I mean how can you deny that 'Stairway' is one of Zep's greatest (Achilles Last Stand is up there too) or that Tom Sawyer and Spirit of Radio is Rush at their very best? It goes on and on like that...

Aqualung & Locomotive Breath for Tull

Won't Get Fooled Again & My Generation for The Who

Iron Man & War Pigs for Sabbath

A Day in the Life for The Beatles

Eighteen & School's Out for Alice Cooper

Roundabout & Starship Trooper for Yes

Smoke on the Water for Purple

All Right Now for Free

Lucky Man for ELP

Nights in White Satin for The Moody Blues

Games Without Frontiers for Gabriel

Light My Fire, Riders on the Storm & Roadhouse Blues for The Doors

etc., etc.

I mean, come on!

This is the reason i stopped listening to radio 20 years ago. The same songs by bands that people Think is their best work. Van Halen, Jump? Please. The only band I can think of where I think their best song is their most popular song is Slayer, Angel Of Death.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 18 2011, 07:45 AM)
This is the reason i stopped listening to radio 20 years ago. The same songs by bands that people Think is their best work. Van Halen, Jump? Please. The only band I can think of where I think their best song is their most popular song is Slayer, Angel Of Death.

Right, but that's what I'm getting at here. I don't think Jump is their best song (hell, I'd take half the Sammy catalog over that track), but I do think that in the collective mind of the public, it's their most recognizable, or most iconic, song.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Aug 18 2011, 10:52 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 18 2011, 07:45 AM)

Right, but that's what I'm getting at here. I don't think Jump is their best song (hell, I'd take half the Sammy catalog over that track), but I do think that in the collective mind of the public, it's their most recognizable, or most iconic, song.

Oh I know what your talking about. I should have given you one of these goodpost.gif It drives me nuts that people think Kiss Rock And Roll All Night is their best song, I can think of 80 off the top of my head that are better.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Aug 18 2011, 05:26 AM)
I feel like U2's iconic tracks are One, Beautiful Day, With Or Without You, and Pride. They have dozens of songs better than those (for the record, I LOVE WoWY and Pride as well)

And "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For".

Pink Floyd - "Money" and maybe "Time".

Nugent - "Stranglehold"

The Beatles - Too many to list, seriously.

The Stones - "Satisfaction" and Honky Tonk Women" for starters. I'm sure other folks will add to that list.

Rush - "Limelight" and arguably "Freewill" and "Subdivisions".

Creedence - "Bad Moon Rising"

The Eagles - "Hotel California" and "Take It Easy" for sure and ???

Aerosmith - "Dream On"

ZZ Top - "Sharp Dressed Man" and maybe "Legs"

Edited by driventotheedge

Radio? What's radio? tongue.gif

By the way, I think Pink Floyd's most iconic song is Comfortably Numb.

As for Van Halen...on their last tour, I walked out when they launched into Jump for the final song of the encore. Can't stand that song. Love everything else they did though.

How about Led Zeppelin - Stairway? Certainly not their best tune IMO.

Hang on....I'm confused here...I thought the point of the thread was to find songs you like more than the iconic track off of a record, but all I'm seeing is the iconic tracks listed...Am I missing the point?

I see it like this:

Red Barchetta > Tom Sawyer

Shoot To Thrill > Back In Black

Crackerman > Plush (STP Core)

Making Memories > Fly By Night

Ice Cream Man > Eruption

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Aug 17 2011, 08:18 PM)
Metallica--Enter Sandman

these arent iconic? Im confused.

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Aug 18 2011, 02:53 PM)
Hang on....I'm confused here...I thought the point of the thread was to find songs you like more than the iconic track off of a record, but all I'm seeing is the iconic tracks listed...Am I missing the point?

I see it like this:

Red Barchetta > Tom Sawyer
Shoot To Thrill > Back In Black
Crackerman > Plush (STP Core)
Making Memories > Fly By Night
Ice Cream Man > Eruption

You got it. That was the point... to identify the iconic tracks and then come up with ones that are better... "better" being subjective, of course, but still.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Aug 18 2011, 03:09 PM)
QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Aug 17 2011, 08:18 PM)
Metallica--Enter Sandman

these arent iconic? Im confused.

Yeah, these songs are iconic (from the standpoint that they're the signature songs for the band), but there are many songs (too many to list) that are better than these.

For example, everything from Unleashed in the East (among many other JP songs) is better than You've Got Another Thing Comin', there are at least 20 Maiden songs better than Run to the Hills, and the entire Master of Puppets album (among others) > Enter Sandman.

I think that often, "Iconic" songs are far from being the best. However, I will say this: If they are so bad, why are they so popular? IMO, Stairway is on of Zep's best tunes. But perhaps that's because I haven't heard it a thousand times. As I am 14, radio has not 'ruined' songs for me yet. Although I agree Red Barchetta is better than Tom Sawyer, I love Tom Sawyer almost as much and find it to be an awesome song. In a lot of cases, I think you guys hate the most popular songs not because they are bad, but because you've heard them a million times on the radio.

Just IMO, of course. confused13.gif