Rush And Triumph

Nate2112

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rush are certainly more talented in the rhythm section dept. although guitar and vocals I would give the edge to Triumph. I like Lifeson's playing just as good or better but I think Ric Emmett is actually a better guitar player. Can you imagine a Rush lineup of Lee/Lifeson/Peart/ Emmett with Ric doing the singing. They might have ruled the world. Rush with a more accessible singer who was a heart throb back in the day. Lifeson and Emmett trading solos. Just wow! Would still like to see Ric jam with Rush on one song live. I know Ric and Alex are friends. Edited by presto123

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Aug 17 2011, 03:47 PM)
Triumph are better looking.

Gotta agree.

Triumph aren't really like Rush. I mean vaguely similar, but that's mostly because they're both Canadian bands with three people. The music isn't very close at all.

Rush are far more talented, but I do like Triumph too smile.gif Have a few of their albums in my record collection.

I love Triumph, but they are a poor man's Rush.

Lifeson-Emmett: Close. VERY close. Lifeson a little more.

Peart-Moore : rofl3.gif Not EVEN close. Peart all the way.

Lee-Levine bass: rofl3.gif Sounds like Levine just started playing last week.

Lee-Emmett vocals: Have to go with Emmett on this one. Not by much.

Lee-Moore vocals: Moore shouts. Geddy sings.

Lee-Levine keyboards: I doubt Levine can play a major 7th chord.

Peart-Moore lyrics: rofl3.gif Does Moore know who Shakespeare was?

Peart-Emmett lyrics: Peart doesn't want to believe. Emmett does. But both believe in love. Gotta go with Peart however.

Lee-Emmett lyrics: Lee's are more interesting.

Lee-Moore lyrics: Lee has more interests obviously and a greater vocabulary. Again more interesting.

Don't think Levine writes lyrics, but I can't imagine there is much to read about other than things like "hey" "baby" "party" etc. Nice dude though! trink39.gif

Edited by Earthshine

I love Triumph but they are just a completely different kind of band than Rush. Rik is an amazing guitarist and it's actually more evident in recent years than in his playing with Triumph. He's into all kinds of jazz/fusion stuff along with blues and rock. He's also had a lot of great things to say about Rush over the years and has been involved with at least 2 projects with Alex, the Beyond Borders recording from 1987 and the more recent guitar clinic he conducted with Alex.

Beyond Borders:

Check this out, not exactly Triumph but his playing kicks ass.

Triumph is nowhere near is good but they are a fun band and the blinding light show is epic, and emmet is f***ing good and good friends with Alex and they recorded a song together called beyond borders, along with some other guitarists.

Yep..Emmit is the real deal.VERY under-rated guitarist.

QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Aug 17 2011, 05:42 PM)
triumph is like diet rush

beat me to it...drat!

but ive always thought that triumph was what the labels wished RUSH would do

QUOTE (go2wrk@95974 @ Aug 18 2011, 11:52 AM)
Yep..Emmit is the real deal.VERY under-rated guitarist.

yes.gif

I love his acoustic work.

QUOTE (GernTheFish @ Aug 18 2011, 10:21 AM)
I've always felt Triumph tried to imitate Rush.  Rush never tried to do this since they ARE Rush.  Therefore I give the edge to Rush.

No, this is totally wrong. They very much wanted to be a straight up melodic hard rock band which is what they became. They started in 1975 and gained popularity along side of Rush. Why would they even want to copy one of their peers who was no more successful than they were for most of that time? Given the musical tastes of the late 70s and early 80s the kind of music that Triumph made had more potential for success on average for most bands.

I've still got a magazine interview with Rik from around 1985 where he's asked about Rush and he talks about how the other 2 guys in his band didn't really have any appreciation for what Rush did. He said he did and would like to be more experimental and adventurous and then, probably half jokingly and half not, said that his bandmates weren't really capable of doing that anyway.

I'll see if I can find it. But no, they were and always were intended to be completely different kinds of bands.

Hey, look what I just found. Talking about Triumph made me want to hear some of Thunder Seven which is still one of my favorite records of the 80s. Considering this video is on their official channel the comments near the top appear to genuinely be from Rik (although who knows) and he's asked about Rush.

And anybody who doesn't own Thunder Seven needs to go get it immediately or sooner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpAde4GAgFI

Not to bring up Rush again, but did you guys ever hang out, or jam together, maybe at a charity show or something?

cranpineapple 2 months ago

@cranpineapple Hey cranpineapple: other fans can point you in the direction of a guitar quartet project I recorded with Alex Lifeson, Liona Boyd and Ed Bickert at The Metalworks, back in the day, (1987, maybe?) for Guitar Player Magazine, on a guitar piece entitled "Beyond Borders". And I had a really wonderful day at the Guitar Workshops Plus summer camp thing a few years back, hanging with Alex, and jamming with him, going out for dinner together and swapping some stories...

TriumphAlliedForces 1 month ago

@cranpineapple Sweet man, and a terrific guitarist & artist. I do believe that he and Gil have also played more than a few rounds of golf together, but maybe Gil can give you more insight on their respective, ummm, handicaps ... - Rik

Edited by snowdog2112

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Aug 17 2011, 04:24 PM)
My dad says they are exact.

Exact what? confused13.gif

I'm assuming he meant exactly the same....he's wrong. smile.gif

Triumph was/is a pop-rock, radio friendly band. Their heavy multi-tracking (especially the rhythm guitar tracks) in the studio could not be duplicated on stage. Their shows suffered as a consequence.

They are nothing like Rush. smile.gif

This is Rush:

http://www.sinisterrabbit.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/wolverine.jpg

This is Triumph:

http://www.slashgear.com/gallery/data_files/7/4/Nate_Wolverine_2.jpg

j/k. I like Triumph. But I put them in my Blue Oyster Cult/Thin Lizzy grouping of "good 2nd tier bands". trink38.gif