The Greatest Double LP Studio Album Ever Thread!

RUSHHEAD666

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, from your list it would be either Hendrix or Zep.

I like that Goobs has Ummagumma on the list, despite that it contains live tracks. I'd rate Santana's Moonflower similarly. I also quite like ELO's Out Of The Blue, Zappa's Sheik Yerbouti, and Focus 3. Despite the thin sound, Metallica's And Justice For All is great.

I feel like I'm overlooking something...

QUOTE (rushforumnewuser @ Aug 1 2011, 03:40 PM)
I don't believe this has been mentioned yet. I loved Chicago Transit Authority when it came out.

Good one.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 1 2011, 12:40 PM)
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

bolt.gif

Nah, just joking.... though this album would probably still be in my top 10 double albums list, if I weren't too lazy to make one.

Just listened to it today. Its an epic album.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Aug 1 2011, 12:01 AM)
^ i think we need to be friends lol

You're the only other person to mentioned Tusk, which is my favorite FM album.

Indeed we should. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

My favorite FM album BY FAR (I think I'd consider it top 5 of all-time as well).

...Listening to it now smile.gif

Add me on good ol' Facebook smile.gif

Although Tusk was considered a flop by critics, it is truly a wonderful album. I love that it was Lindsey's first step into directing the band's sound. Some of Stevie's best songs are in this album. I love the erratic sound to Lindsey's tracks.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 2 2011, 12:49 AM)
Really, there are no "bad" songs on The White Album, but there are definitely weaker moments.

Admission: I'm a huuuge Beatles fan, and so I'm completely biased.

That said, I think the white album has no weak songs. The songs are just so wildly different from one another. And many of them are meant to be sort of tongue in cheek (The Continuing Story . . ., Why Don't We . . ., Everybody's Got Something . . .). I love them all, except, as I said, Revolution 9.

Are you yanking my chain that's your favorite song on the album? I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that.

Double Albums I Really Love, the ones I have no problem listening to all the way through at any time. Going to cheat a bit and name a few because almost all all been mentioned so far.

The Beatles

Quadrophenia

London calling

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Doubles I really like, I probably will not listen to the whole album in one sitting.

Blonde on Blonde

Physical Graffitti

Are you Experienced

Being There

Eat a Peach

I'd have to go for London Calling, which only contains one average track - Spanish Bombs. Not quite sure why I waited until 2000 before buying the thing when it was released in '79.

Physical Graffiti would be a close second. A very close second.

As for the White album - complete twaddle! It is self-indulgent clap-trap. I love Dear Pru, but most of the rest is dire.

I'll try not to offend anyone by saying Siouxsie's version of Dear Pru is better, but it is!

QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Aug 3 2011, 04:39 PM)
white album isn't self-indulgent, it just tries a lot of new things

Why should creating music not be self-indulgent? It should be self-indulgent! Give me an artist who is self-indulgent over an artist who isn't every time.

QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Aug 3 2011, 04:48 PM)
the ramones weren't self-indulgent

If you take their first 4 albums, they certainly can come across as self-indulgent. They proudly wrote the same song over and over and over...

And they did it fantastically!

How about Snow by Spock's Beard? It seems to have a lot of haters, but I think it's one of their best. notworthy.gif

My favorite would definitely by The Lamb, Tales from Topographic, Physical Graffiti, The Wall, or Snow. If I had to decide today, it would probably be The Lamb. Tales is very close, but the first few minutes of The Ancient is a pretty rough listen.

Here's hoping Clockwork Angels is a double album! trink38.gif

Edited by PariahDog