Best Porcupine Tree album

Tommy Sawyer

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 19 2011, 09:44 PM)
I'd go with Deadwing. In Absentia is my favorite, but DW is a more accesable album. PT is a great band. If you don't like them at first, give them a chance. They really grow on you.

This.

Alright, gonna make a top five albums list for PT.

1. In Absentia

2. Fear of a Blank Planet

3. Signify

4. Deadwing

5. Up the Downstair

QUOTE (Oracle @ Jun 20 2011, 01:11 AM)
Alright, gonna make a top five albums list for PT.

1. In Absentia
2. Fear of a Blank Planet
3. Signify
4. Deadwing
5. Up the Downstair

Deadwing below Signify for a beginner? huh.gif

Edited by sullysue

This isn't easy to answer. Because the PT style changed a little bit since the original Drummer 'Chris Maitland' left the Band.

So I'd go for:

old PT:

Stupid Dream

Signify

Lightbulb Sun

new PT:

In Absentia

The Incident

Deadwing

Fear Of A Blank Planet and Deadwing for me

Deadwing is one of the ten best albums recorded by anybody, ever. You can't go wrong there.

In Absentia is also a good place to start.

The further back you go, the less rocking they are. The very early stuff is trippy, Floyd-ish music. The modern stuff is (mostly) pretty hard, semi-progressive rock. It all just depends on what style of music you favor.

Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream are both fantastic albums, kind of in the middle between the two phases.

All JMHO of course.

I remember when I finally broke down and listened to PT (a long story involving the now defunct Rush Tour Forum).... the first song I heard was Blackest Eyes. After that, it was all over.

Enjoy!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 20 2011, 10:28 AM)
In Absentia's the one.

Thing is with PT, old PT brilliant, new PT brilliant.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

yes.gif

I love that album, but Gravity Eyelids scares the shit out of me!

scared.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 20 2011, 01:02 AM)
I'd go with Deadwing. In Absentia is my favorite, but DW is a more accesable album. PT is a great band. If you don't like them at first, give them a chance. They really grow on you.

This.

That

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 20 2011, 10:28 AM)
In Absentia's the one.

Thing is with PT, old PT brilliant, new PT brilliant.

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

No shit! My favorite. But DW is most user friendly.

Edited by Gompers

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Jun 20 2011, 09:25 AM)
Deadwing is one of the ten best albums recorded by anybody, ever. You can't go wrong there.

In Absentia is also a good place to start.

The further back you go, the less rocking they are. The very early stuff is trippy, Floyd-ish music. The modern stuff is (mostly) pretty hard, semi-progressive rock. It all just depends on what style of music you favor.

Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream are both fantastic albums, kind of in the middle between the two phases.

All JMHO of course.

I remember when I finally broke down and listened to PT (a long story involving the now defunct Rush Tour Forum).... the first song I heard was Blackest Eyes. After that, it was all over.

Enjoy!

trink39.gif

One of the most apt descriptions of PT's music that I've read

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 20 2011, 11:25 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 20 2011, 01:02 AM)

This.

That

this cool10.gif

I'd definitely go with either In Absentia, Fear of a Blank Planet or Deadwing to start off. Quite honestly, I have a difficult time choosing which one of the three is the strongest album but Deadwing wins for accessibility with songs like the title track, Halo and fan favorite Lazarus. In Absentia was the first album of the current phase of Porcupine Tree, and marked the arrival of their current drummer Gavin Harrison. Songs from the album like Blackest Eyes, Trains and The Sound of Muzak are definite fan favorites. Fear of a Blank Planet is my personal favorite with Anesthetize being one of my favorite PT songs, and on a personal note, it was my introduction to Porcupine Tree. As for their latest album The Incident, I'll only say that you must listen to it from start to finish. It's an album that will require lots of listens but in the end it's very rewarding.

But if you really want to try some of their earlier stuff, I'd will say that your best bet on early day PT is to go out and get Stars Die: The Delerium Years 1991-1997 because it has their strongest tracks from their early days and also there's some songs that are exclusive to the Stars Die compilation and can't be found elsewhere.

Otherwise, I'd say that Up the Downstair and Signify are the more accessible albums of the early phase. Their first album On the Sunday of Life is really an album the combines the best of Steven Wilson's first recorded material from 1987-1990, but it does have fan favorite Radioactive Toy on there. As for The Sky Moves Sideways, it's an album in which you'll REALLY need to sit down and listen to from the start. And it feels pretty long too because a bulk of the album is the title track which is divided in two parts, each are roughly 16-18 minutes long (doesn't this remind anyone of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here?) and there's even an alternate version on the reissue which is 35 minutes long. Like wise with the alternate version of the title track the reissue also contains Stars Die which is considered by Steven Wilson to be the best song he's ever written.

And then there's the in between early day and post In Absentia phase, the Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun era. Stupid Dream has one of their most enduring tracks Even Less and also contains another fan favorite, Pure Narcotic. Lightbulb Sun is the more accessible one of the two in my opinion, with songs like Shesmovedon, the title track, Hatesong, Russia on Ice, and Four Chords That Made A Million.

And I think I pretty much described every studio album they ever made, but that's because Porcupine Tree is one of those bands you can't help but describe them as detailed as you can possibly get.

I think Fear of a Blank Planet is the answer I would give but Deadwing and In Absentia are not bad choices. Fear gives you a little of everything; some pretty heavy stuff with the title track and some more atmospheric stuff like My Ashes. Plus you get a solo by Alex Lifeson on Anesthetize.