RUSH Fanbois or RUSH Trolls

PumpkinHead

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 2 2011, 01:14 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ May 1 2011, 09:03 PM)
Fanboys are lame.  Trolls w no originality are lamer.  Good trolls with some wit and cleverness rule.

That sums it up nicely.

+1

plus, what a fun way to whore up your post count, by bashing a muthaluvin troll

rofl3.gif

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say trolls, and here's why.

They spend their time spreading redundant, sometimes hateful messages in the hopes of getting some kind of reaction, usually negative. They then prolong their futile argument in the hopes of making the other person even angrier. Trolls are basically attention whores with an internet connection. I don't like them in real life, and I CERTAINLY don't like them when they are trying to make me angry. Here's a real life scenario:

Let's use your house as a metaphor for TRF. There are two people in your house: a troll, and a fanboy. The fanboy rants and raves about how great everything in your house is while simultaneously spouting pure garbage and annoying the s**t out of you. The troll however, takes it upon himself to personally and methodically destroy everything you own while insulting your friends and family members (especially your mother). Now who would you rather hang out with?

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ May 3 2011, 12:13 AM)

They spend their time spreading redundant, sometimes hateful messages in the hopes of getting some kind of reaction, usually negative. They then prolong their futile argument in the hopes of making the other person even angrier. Trolls are basically attention whores with an internet connection. I don't like them in real life, and I CERTAINLY don't like them when they are trying to make me angry. Here's a real life scenario:

Let's use your house as a metaphor for TRF. There are two people in your house: a troll, and a fanboy. The fanboy rants and raves about how great everything in your house is while simultaneously spouting pure garbage and annoying the s**t out of you. The troll however, takes it upon himself to personally and methodically destroy everything you own while insulting your friends and family members (especially your mother). Now who would you rather hang out with?

Does the troll have firm breasts and buttocks?

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 2 2011, 06:22 PM)

rofl3.gif

Unfortunately, no. He's a man. A very old, bad-tempered man who likes to mess with people. He's also invincible, so don't even try.

There is also a third option with what you're looking for, with an affordable price but an uncountable cost.

I just had a thought about trolls based on reading the last couple of pages. I have always wondered about those idiots that sit in their mother's basement creating a virus and letting it out on the internet just because they can. Are these the same asswipes that troll? angry.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 2 2011, 07:22 PM)

applaudit.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ May 2 2011, 05:27 PM)
"Fanbois", as people have described on the forum aren't really a big deal. They may become a bit of a nuisance at times when they may have a clouded judgment and think the band is perfect, but honestly, I don't find a person who has a passion for the band's music, trying to see the positives in their career, and defend the band they love as terrible thing. I still see them as fans, but simply more passionate in their manner.

Instead, I have a problem with fanatics, those who are obsessed with the band to the point that they follow the band around everywhere and go to their homes (probably more so in the past), as well as other various instances that are borderline psychotic. When stuff get to the extreme like that, that's when people are going too far, and become dangerous. Of course, that is digressing a bit from the topic of "fanbois" vs. trolls, but still thought it was important to share.

As for trolls, I don't find any of them funny and I think it's really sad that they have the time to sit down, think, and post idiotic posts just to annoy people. That truly brings the concept of a "no life" to a new meaning. Besides this post, I don't really respond to trolls, or even mention them. I find it best just to ignore them. Why give them the satisfaction that they desire? They are attention seekers, and want to enrage people. I'm not going to give them that satisfaction.

I have no problem with people criticizing Rush because they are human just like us, and therefore make mistakes or do something we might not agree with. That is perfectly fine, but when people personally bash Neil Peart for an example, and call him vicious words (which have been popping up across the forum), I find it appalling and inexcusable. In my opinion, if you want to criticize the band, criticize them on their work, not them personally. I'm pretty sure a majority of those on this forum have not met all 3 members of the band, let alone, sat down with them on a personal level, so people shouldn't go there in discussion.

So, both trolls and fanatics are bad in their own, different ways.

pretty much sums it up...

I actually discussed this a bit last week on MY SHOW

If you are going to a Rush fansite and reading or posting, you are a fanboi, plain and simple thank you. Fanbois go beyond just enjoying the music. Trolls are actually fanbois in denial that they are fanbois. 2.gif

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ May 2 2011, 06:36 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ May 2 2011, 06:22 PM)

rofl3.gif

Unfortunately, no. He's a man. A very old, bad-tempered man who likes to mess with people. He's also invincible, so don't even try.

There is also a third option with what you're looking for, with an affordable price but an uncountable cost.

Is the third option that I blow both their heads off with a sawn-off shotgun, while playing The Spirit of Radio? The shotgun would cost relatively little, but the dry-cleaning bill for the curtains would be uncountable...

QUOTE (D3strukt @ May 1 2011, 03:38 PM)
Gotta agree. Fanbois, ftfl. Fawning over members, saying that Geddy still sounds great. (Bullshit, your living in a dreamworld if you think he's still even remotely close to singing Freewill, or 2112 correctly. PROTIP: If you CAN'T understand him, he's doing it wrong.)

go get your ears checked...OR; there's this websote called Youtube- you should look into it- darsh

Meh...I've been called a "fanboi" many times in the past. It's probably because I say I'm a fan of every Rush song, and while some rank MUCH lower than others, there are legitimately no songs that I just "skip because I can't stand them", like I know others do.

Doesn't bother me though...believe me, if there is a song that I truly dislike on the forthcoming album, I will be the first to admit it right here. I'm a big fan of S&A, but upon my first listen, I remember being very disappointed. It was a real letdown. I'm glad it grew on me to the point where I love it alot and listen to it often.

Either way, I agree with many. Trolls can be annoying, but I usually find their threads very entertaining. So, I'm fine with them once in a blue moon. As far as fanbois...I dunno. Probably like anything else...some good and some bad. wink.gif

QUOTE (PumpkinHead @ May 4 2011, 07:06 AM)
http://my.ddo.com/ashurr/files/2010/04/forum-troll.jpg

Funny, except for the bit about "jealousy"; it's the go-to response for most fanboys when what they love is criticized, whether the criticism is legitimate or not, and it's never right. It's just a pointless ad hominem.

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ May 2 2011, 05:27 PM)
"Fanbois", as people have described on the forum aren't really a big deal. They may become a bit of a nuisance at times when they may have a clouded judgment and think the band is perfect, but honestly, I don't find a person who has a passion for the band's music, trying to see the positives in their career, and defend the band they love as terrible thing. I still see them as fans, but simply more passionate in their manner.

Instead, I have a problem with fanatics, those who are obsessed with the band to the point that they follow the band around everywhere and go to their homes (probably more so in the past), as well as other various instances that are borderline psychotic. When stuff get to the extreme like that, that's when people are going too far, and become dangerous. Of course, that is digressing a bit from the topic of "fanbois" vs. trolls, but still thought it was important to share.

As for trolls, I don't find any of them funny and I think it's really sad that they have the time to sit down, think, and post idiotic posts just to annoy people. That truly brings the concept of a "no life" to a new meaning. Besides this post, I don't really respond to trolls, or even mention them. I find it best just to ignore them. Why give them the satisfaction that they desire? They are attention seekers, and want to enrage people. I'm not going to give them that satisfaction.

I have no problem with people criticizing Rush because they are human just like us, and therefore make mistakes or do something we might not agree with. That is perfectly fine, but when people personally bash Neil Peart for an example, and call him vicious words (which have been popping up across the forum), I find it appalling and inexcusable. In my opinion, if you want to criticize the band, criticize them on their work, not them personally. I'm pretty sure a majority of those on this forum have not met all 3 members of the band, let alone, sat down with them on a personal level, so people shouldn't go there in discussion.

So, both trolls and fanatics are bad in their own, different ways.

goodpost.gif applaudit.gif